REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fluorocarbon

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Fluorocarbon

Postby FlyinFish » January 20th, 2010, 7:05 pm

rkfiske wrote:Thanks guys I appreciate all the input. I wouldn't normally care too much about 12 bucks but I go through quite a bit of the fluoro losing droppers to tre-I mean big fish. I'll investigate vanish, I think I can steal some from my girlfriend's spinfishing father to try out :)

Ya, I was also mostly referring to fishing dries. For fishing subsurface things, the differences may not be very noticeable. Although abrasion resistance is still important.

I'd go with PLine or Seaguar. PLine makes really good line and I use it from 2# to 60#. Trilene makes some great stuff too, but I only use the Big Game for salt fishing on my jig reels that eat up a lot of line. I like to pay a bit extra for PLine for all other applications. And PLine does under rate their lines quite a bit.
FlyinFish

Postby darrin terry » January 20th, 2010, 8:10 pm

Generally speaking, you wont want to use fluorocarbon for fishing dries as it sinks rather quickly. It's more dense than water. Perhaps with larger flies like a stimmy or hopper, they might float well enough. If fishing small flies though, fluoro can drag them under at times. I don't like that personally.

I carry mainly fluoro as I mostly nymph. If fishing dries, I carry some mono tippet spools in 4-6x and use that to rebuild on tapered leaders that have been cut/broken off to a butt section.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby fflutterffly » January 20th, 2010, 8:20 pm

Fluoro is great excelpt it never breaks down. However, it takes about 400 years for mono to do the same. Go figure. I do like to purchase in bulk and rewind.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby briansII » January 20th, 2010, 8:26 pm

briansII

Postby fly addict » January 20th, 2010, 8:52 pm

Eric wrote:
Graham Owen wrote:I think I've tried just about every brand of flouro and for the past year or so I've been very satisfied using P-line Halo 100% flourocarbon, mist green. I buy 200 yard spools at Sport Chalet for $21.99 I know it can be found cheaper online, but I live in Burbank, and Sport Chalet is convieniently right down the street... I use 6 and 8 lb for the big browns back east, and have no complaints...

I also use P-line halo. I've never had a problem with it.
Eric

Dittos what these guys are saying. I have been using the P-line Halo for over a year now and won't ever go back to any other tippet mat. The fish don't seem to mind, ie I have not seen a drop in numbers. Then again I don't catch many anyway. :lol: Works good nymphing or tossing a dry fly. Why pay more for a 30 yard tippet spool that you will use in one long weekend. This line works. I was turned on to this stuff by a guy who teaches a dry fly clinic on hot creek ranch, if it will fool those fish it will work anywhere.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby rkfiske » January 20th, 2010, 10:51 pm

Hmm I'll check out some P-Line Halo, I've heard good things about it.

Darrin - I don't use fluoro for dries, I still use mono for that and for rebuilding leaders. The cost of regular Rio mono is low enough that I am happy to use the actual rio stuff I trust, but fluoro is a bit pricier and really started to notice these huge price differences between fluoro for fly guys and fluoro for spinfishing. Just was curious why there was a such a large discrepancy in pricing. I use them for my droppers and only attach it as tippet to my leader when fishing a team of nymphs. Recently I've considered going to the dark side and learning some euro style nymphing which would eat up a good amount of fluoro.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby Eric » January 20th, 2010, 11:37 pm

rkfiske wrote:Hmm I'll check out some P-Line Halo, I've heard good things about it.

Darrin - I don't use fluoro for dries, I still use mono for that and for rebuilding leaders. The cost of regular Rio mono is low enough that I am happy to use the actual rio stuff I trust, but fluoro is a bit pricier and really started to notice these huge price differences between fluoro for fly guys and fluoro for spinfishing. Just was curious why there was a such a large discrepancy in pricing. I use them for my droppers and only attach it as tippet to my leader when fishing a team of nymphs. Recently I've considered going to the dark side and learning some euro style nymphing which would eat up a good amount of fluoro.

Ryan for euro or the dark side you can get away with just using 6lb.
Eric
Eric

Postby darrin terry » January 21st, 2010, 12:19 am

Right then.

Like Eric said, for nymphing you can use straight 4x or 6 lb. or the like. No taper is needed. Generally. But then why do I carry 0-6x? For those exceptions.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby anacrime » January 21st, 2010, 12:55 am

always straight fluoro for nymphing! always always always!
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby midger » January 21st, 2010, 8:30 am

anacrime wrote:always straight fluoro for nymphing! always always always!

Golly, ya gotta wonder how us old timers ever caught fish nymphing in the old days when there was no fluro. We did, and they were as large, or larger, than those caught today. ;)

Fluro is good stuff. I do use it for everything now, including dry fly fishing--it seems to do just fine if you lube it with aquel. Granted, regular mono might do better, but how much better? I haven't found the fluro causing my flies to sink and I fish down to size 20 dries.

I think there is a lot of hype on the fluro, although I do like its abrasion resistance and its strength to diameter stats, plus I get mine as cheap as I can get the mono, so..............

I don't fret when I have to use the old mono though. I still catch fish and it works also, so don't think you have to have fluro to be successful. It's more in how you fish than what you fish.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby rayfound » January 21st, 2010, 8:49 am

midger wrote:plus I get mine as cheap as I can get the mono, so..............

You going to drop a link here Mike? Or is this a super-secret insider-trading deal?

I'd be surprised if the Floro actually cost any more to MFG (And surely not triple), I'm sure its just priced at what they can sell it for.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby tomsakai » January 21st, 2010, 9:18 am

Just don't do what I did last fall: I bought a 200 yard spool of Pline Fluoro and decided to load it on small tippet spools. So, I went over to a friend's house and we spent some time using his saltwater line winder (tackle shop quality) to load it up. We filled the tippet spool with probably 100 yards and set it down to do the next one. After a few minutes we heard a cracking sound. The tippet spool had exploded due to too much pressure!! What a mess that was; fluoro wasn't salvageable (except in 12 inch sections). :( :o
tomsakai

Postby fly addict » January 21st, 2010, 9:31 am

You might find this interesting about tippets and leaders that are greased and one treated to sink. The one that is sunken is invisible, yet does not sink the fly. I have been using Fluorocarbon for my tippets while dry fly fishing and have not notice the tippet sinking out the fly size 22 and larger. The info comes from the book, The Trout and the Fly" by Brian Clarke and John Goddard (1980). Here is the link, http://www.winstonrods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4082.
Scroll down to evets post.

Mark
fly addict

Postby fly addict » January 21st, 2010, 9:41 am

tomsakai wrote:Just don't do what I did last fall: I bought a 200 yard spool of Pline Fluoro and decided to load it on small tippet spools. So, I went over to a friend's house and we spent some time using his saltwater line winder (tackle shop quality) to load it up. We filled the tippet spool with probably 100 yards and set it down to do the next one. After a few minutes we heard a cracking sound. The tippet spool had exploded due to too much pressure!! What a mess that was; fluoro wasn't salvageable (except in 12 inch sections). :( :o

Tom,

Good idea, bad execution!!! :shock: ;) :lol:

Mark
fly addict

Postby FlyinFish » January 21st, 2010, 9:42 am

For me, it's not visibility... it's the low memory, abrasion resistance, and shock absorption. Most people use FC for those reasons from trout to bass to cow tuna. I'm willing to pay the extra money and deal with any other cons to have these pros...

Ryan, please don't go to the dark side. The weather will warm up soon and the fish will be slurping things off the surface again with reckless abandon.
FlyinFish

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing