REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fly Box Organization

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Fly Box Organization

Postby fly_baby » January 31st, 2010, 8:44 pm

Thanks for the photo! :) I think I have an idea of how to approach this thing. fflutterffly also suggested using divider boxes for larger flies.

I guess it's a never ending process. Thanks for the box source.

Ava
Carpe Diem does not mean 'fish of the day'
fly_baby

Postby fly addict » January 31st, 2010, 10:27 pm

planettrout wrote:A few of my boxes:

I organize them by Mayfly, Caddis,Midges,Stone flies, Scud/Sow bugs, Terrestrials and attractors.

Most of my dries/emergers are in the plastic or the Wheatley window boxes. Nymphs in the Wheatley flip overs...

The small Myran 12 windows are for stages of BWO's, PMD's and Caddis - the species I most regularly encounter...

A leather, fold over with metal clips from Wheatley I picked up many years ago is used for my wet patterns.

The Meiho's are for going minimal.

I have other boxes, CF, Dewitt and Orvis that are dedicated to larger Mayfly and Caddis for rivers in Montana, Idaho and Colorado.

Streamers, Buggers,Froggies, Crayfish and Mice...slotted boxes.

Something about Wheatley boxes - they are a bit heavy and require a complete dry out if I go swimming (which I do - frequently :o )

http://www.richardwheatley.com/

Here's a good source for many boxes:

http://www.anglersportgroup.com/product ... sp?CatID=7

PT/TB :idea:

PT,

Do you have a wheelbarrow that you use to carry all those Boxes down to the stream? ;)

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby meb » February 2nd, 2010, 9:58 pm

I'm like planettrout. I have a trout bag with about 20 boxes of flies broken down to something like: three boxes of streamers, three boxes of nymphs, a box of wets, a box of spinners, and the rest emergers and dries. I have a drawer where I keep the odd boxes of shad, steelhead, bass, and saltwater flies. The funny part is that I often carry what I think I'll need that day only to wish I had brought a few more flies.

Mark
meb

Postby fly_baby » February 3rd, 2010, 9:09 pm

planettrout wrote:
Here's a good source for many boxes:

http://www.anglersportgroup.com/product ... sp?CatID=7

PT/TB :idea:

PT - I checked out http://www.anglersportgroup.com/product ... sp?CatID=7 and they seem to be wholesale only. Am I missing something (okay I'm missing lots, but...)?

Thanks,
Ava
fly_baby

Postby planettrout » February 4th, 2010, 8:08 am

Do you have a wheelbarrow that you use to carry all those Boxes down to the stream? ;)

Mark

No, I have two children I purposely conned into FF so they could carry all my stuff... :o

Ava...

They are wholesale only...most local fly shops have an account with them and can place an order for what one wants in their inventory order or, one can just go into that shop behind the ORANGE CURTAIN and find most of what is on the Anglers Sport site...I have ordered a lot of the Wheatley stuff through them :D

PT/TB :funnyup:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby Papasequoia » February 4th, 2010, 11:21 am

I'm changing to a brand new system that no one has ever come up with before. I'll probably patent it as the PSFBOSftC (Papasequoia Fly Box Organization System for the Colorblind©.) Instead of breaking down boxes by nymph/dry/streamer, or caddis/mayfly/attractor, etc. I will enlist the help of my boys to separate all of my flies by color. I will then get a flybox of the same color and put all of the flies in it that match the box of that color. Now, instead of writing the color of the fly on the foam like I already do, I just grab the box that is the color that I need. So, tan caddis, tan midges, tan streamers, etc. all go into the tan box, and so on all through the colors. There are just a couple of problems though that I still have to work out. For example, I can't tell the difference between green and brown, so I will still have to label those boxes on the cover with the appropriate name. The same holds true for blue and purple, and some shades of yellow/orange. Likewise all of the strange ones like chartreuse. I'm also having the darndest time finding a pink box for my pink Copper Johns, so any leads there will be appreciated!

Have fun organizing your boxes into whatever combination works for you. As long as you realize that every couple of years (at least) you will be taking out all of your flies and trying to find a better way. Oh, and if anyone reading this copies my plan: PSFBOSftC © you better send me some cash or I'll sue!

Good luck! (Btw and fwiw, I currently organize my boxes by type of insect and label with a sharpie when unsure of color) Here's a pic of my midge/tiny fly box. :D

Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby fly_baby » February 4th, 2010, 11:35 pm

Papa - are you really color blind? I never thought about how tough it would be picking out the right color flies. You've got a good system. Heck, I'm not color blind, but trying to see colors in the shade is difficult - especially green and olive. I'm going to label the little ones by color, too. :D

Ava
fly_baby

Postby briansII » February 5th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Jon. You've come a long way with your tying.

briansII
briansII

Postby Bernard » February 9th, 2010, 8:45 am

I always love the fly box thread. Great comments. My only success so far has been:
- Local Stream selection - We all know you only need so many patterns and so many in quanity. Easy, fun and compact. Whew that was easy.
- Streamer box. One hog hunter box full of beanie babies with hooks protruding out of them. These flies are too big to be organized. There that was easy ... whew.
- Saltwater box. I fish the salt maybe once a year and have about 5 flies to my name for that pursuit. Whew ...easy again.
- Long trips and multi-angler adventures? Everything under the sun. Chaos ....
Sigh ....
Hot Wheels used to have a great fly box ...
;)
B
Bernard

Postby darrin terry » February 9th, 2010, 9:07 am

Bernard wrote:Hot Wheels used to have a great fly box ...
;)
B

I am guessing one would wear that fly box around one's neck, preferably on a gold chain? :lol: :lol: :lol:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Papasequoia » February 9th, 2010, 9:39 am

Darrin Terry wrote:
Bernard wrote:Hot Wheels used to have a great fly box ...

I am guessing one would wear that fly box around one's neck, preferably on a gold chain? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Could it be that Flavor Flav is really wearing a fly box in his videos???
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby darrin terry » February 9th, 2010, 10:02 am

Hmm, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if it is a fly box, he must not fish barbless. Judging by his head protection. :lol:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing