REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Top 10 Picks for Best Factory Flyrods of All Time

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Top 10 Picks for Best Factory Flyrods of All Time

Postby fly addict » January 31st, 2010, 10:12 pm

DrCreek wrote:I thought I'd start this thread just for grins - plus, it detracts attention from Sasha's thread about ultralights.

What's your pick? Let's hash out the best ten or so ALL-AROUND factory flyrods of all time. Please, no Garrison's, Payne's, Leonard's or anything custom that you'd need to take out an insurance policy for just to look at. Just regular, run-of-the-mill factory rods.

May I start this off by submitting the Sage LL389. I think Mike Crosby will agree with me that the LL is one of the most incredible factory light/medium flyfishing rods ever made or thrown. And Mike may own one, I don't remember. I threw one once in Albuquerque (it wasn't mine). Had I loved 3wts like I do the 0wts, I would have bought two of my own and slept with them both at the same time... repeatedly.

Agree to disagree, argue to argue, and I'll try to keep up with the list below. To get ON the list a rod needs to be suggested, touted/praised highly about its loveliness, then have ample back-up by way of the other choir members.

The List...
SAGE LL389 (that's, "Light Line Series" for the "Bum")

Good Doctor,

I also agree about the Sage 389LL as on one of the best. Unfortunately Sage did not think it was worth continuing. For that the :gun: Sage Rod Company gets the bonehead award.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby castaway » February 1st, 2010, 12:11 am

Well now Im screwed... those little eagle claw trailmaster rods look like fun.. been watching them on ebay for some time... and they made the list.. great...

One thing wrong about that article... fenwick is still making very high end fiberglass rods... only problem is that they are only sold in japan.. over 300 bucks for the Fenwick yellow glass...

and just as yummy as ever... http://www.bluedun.net/RodsandReels-Fen ... _glass.htm
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby Sasha » February 1st, 2010, 8:07 am

Out of curiosity since we have been talking about the 389 LL what are your guys thoughts on the 389 VPS? I have not had the chance to cast one, but I heard from a friend that it is the same rod as the 389 LL. I was wondering if this was true or not as I found the 389 LL to be an awesome rod. If it is true I wonder why it did not seem to gain the same “cult” status that the LL did.
Sasha

Postby midger » February 1st, 2010, 8:32 am

The VPS LL series all cast about the same as the original Light Line Series, but they didn't look nearly as nice. Sage built that series with cheaper components, different colored thread, etc. The original LL had that nice, deep-brown sage color, great struble seats, pretty cork, etc. Sage did have a limited run of the CLASSIC 389 LL after they discontinued the originals. They were also very good looking and similar to the originals, plus 4 piece instead of 2 or 3. I've cast all versions--2, 3, and 4 piece--and they are close enough in action that I couldn't tell an appreciable difference.

BTW, the CLASSICS still occasionally pop up on ebay, and generally go for $500 or so. The originals rarely pop up anymore, but can occasionally be picked up through other flyfishing sites in the sales sections. About 4 years ago Cabelas closed out the vps rods and you could pick the LL 3 piece rods up for around 100-140. I purchased 8 of them, but alas, they've all been traded, sold, or flown the coop. I would like to find a 389 blank and build my own, but those are scarce indeed.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby midger » February 1st, 2010, 9:12 am

Here's another interesting 5 weight shootout of rods and the results (check out how well the Albright A-5 did):

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/FlyRodComparisonAlbrightG.LoomisOrvisSageScottTempleForkThomasThomasTomMorganRodsmithsR.L.Winstonrodtesting.asp
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Sasha » February 1st, 2010, 9:20 am

It is funny how subjective this subject is. For example I own a mid-flex ZG 5wt and it is my 2nd favorite rod :o I have fished quite a few of the other rods that were mentioned in shootout as well, and I found the ZG to be the "best" for me. I guess that is why I still own it ;)
Sasha

Postby RiverRat » February 1st, 2010, 9:26 am

castaway wrote:Well now Im screwed... those little eagle claw trailmaster rods look like fun.. been watching them on ebay for some time... and they made the list.. great...
One thing wrong about that article... fenwick is still making very high end fiberglass rods... only problem is that they are only sold in japan.. over 300 bucks for the Fenwick yellow glass...
and just as yummy as ever... http://www.bluedun.net/RodsandReels-Fen ... _glass.htm

The original Fenwickglass rods were much different than the new ones. My original fly fishing buddy uses one and will be buried with it. When we fish together he let's me use it for an hour or so, after some begging, but he kinda follows me around waiting for it back. It's a great rod. Heavy for glass but smooth.

The Sage LL Series are forever a classic. Traded one for a St Croix 3wt rod once..what a moron.

The RPL690 and 696 are quite possibly the most requested rods in the wanted to buy classified steelhead/sallmon forums.
I own a RPL+696 and wish I would opted for the 696. Slower more manageable action.

The most amazing rod I've ever casted was the Ti2000 Lamiglas Titanium Rod. It has a ten inch section of real titanium in the butt section and was a smooth rocket. At a fly fishing show in Tacoma, and one of the Rajeffs was watching me flail one and asked to try it. He then roll casted it an easy 80 feet on his first pick up. He then let it fly over 100 ft on his second cast. He then handed it back to me said it was quite possibly the best rod he's ever casted. It won't make the list due to Lamiglas marketing being horrible. One was on Ebay last month and went for over 300 bucks

I want to be buried with my St Croix Legend Ultra 5wt. It beat all the big names back in the Fly Fish America's blind casting test back around 1999. They sell used for what I paid for it new 15 years ago. Just a great all around rod!!!

shane
RiverRat

Postby Rob909 » February 1st, 2010, 4:34 pm

RiverRat wrote:
I want to be buried with my St Croix Legend Ultra 5wt. It beat all the big names back in the Fly Fish America's blind casting test back around 1999. They sell used for what I paid for it new 15 years ago. Just a great all around rod!!!

shane

I was going to stay away from this thread simply because I know nothing about "the best" rods and I didn't want to put my foot in my mouth by mentioning how much I love my St. Croix. But now that Shane has led the way I will say I completely agree.

I have a 7'9" 3 wt. Legend Ultra and it is awesome.

And before I bought it I did a lot of research and asked around and nobody had anything bad to say about the company or the rod. I remember getting input from Chris (tyflier) about it and he said he loved his Legend Ultra.

So I know I'm not the only one.

Rob
Rob909

Postby briansII » February 1st, 2010, 5:37 pm

midger wrote:The VPS LL series all cast about the same as the original Light Line Series, but they didn't look nearly as nice. Sage built that series with cheaper components, different colored thread, etc. The original LL had that nice, deep-brown sage color, great struble seats, pretty cork, etc. Sage did have a limited run of the CLASSIC 389 LL after they discontinued the originals. They were also very good looking and similar to the originals, plus 4 piece instead of 2 or 3. I've cast all versions--2, 3, and 4 piece--and they are close enough in action that I couldn't tell an appreciable difference.

BTW, the CLASSICS still occasionally pop up on ebay, and generally go for $500 or so. The originals rarely pop up anymore, but can occasionally be picked up through other flyfishing sites in the sales sections. About 4 years ago Cabelas closed out the vps rods and you could pick the LL 3 piece rods up for around 100-140. I purchased 8 of them, but alas, they've all been traded, sold, or flown the coop. I would like to find a 389 blank and build my own, but those are scarce indeed.

I had a shot at buying a original 389. I balked because the seller had two(had a 4wt too)LLs he wanted to sell, and I only wanted the 389. Thinking back, I kick myself for not getting both rods. I cast a buddy's 389 next to one of my 3wt. It made my rod feel like a tomato stake. Not long after, I sold that rod. :lol:

On my list of "best factory rods" would be a Winston, 8'6" BIIx 3wt. Smooth medium fast action, with some guts down low.

My workhorse trout rod now sits in room with a loose butt cap. :oops: I use it for everything from casting #22 dries, to tossing weighted streamers at the far bank. It's one of those rods that handles floating and sinking lines well, but doesn't feel like a club. While it may not be a "classic", it does everything I ask of it....and then some. 905-4 Sage XP.

While I have other specific rods I use, for specific situations, I wouldn't call them "The Best of All Time". I WILL continue to seek out those rods. ;-)

briansII
briansII

Postby SJDrifli » February 1st, 2010, 6:33 pm

I have the LL 379, love it! Great small stream rod. I have never cast the 389, how much different do you guys think it might be? Besides being approx. 12 inches longer ;)
SJDrifli

Postby castaway » February 1st, 2010, 6:44 pm

Yea.. I guess I will plug my st. croix as well. Mine is the SCIII avid series. I think its a bit of a med. action rod.. from what people describe, it sounds liek the winston rods that are the rage are very similiar.

I think the St. Croix should be added to the list with the winston and the LL Sage.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby Ming Moua » February 1st, 2010, 6:50 pm

MY all time best Factory rod is a FIVE WT SAGE Z-AXIS 9 FOOTER.
1. Distance with super line speed (tight loops)
2. handles any big trout
3. throw streamers at great distance
4. present drys like a 00wt.
5. Nymph like a rockstar.
it can't go wrong and will do what ever the master wants it to do........Ming
http://www.flycastfirst.com/ WHERE FLY FISHING BEGINS
Ming Moua

Postby Sasha » February 1st, 2010, 6:59 pm

SJDrifli wrote:I have the LL 379, love it! Great small stream rod. I have never cast the 389, how much different do you guys think it might be? Besides being approx. 12 inches longer ;)

Ummmmm I think there’s a joke in there somewhere :lol: ;)

Ok Ok I will get my mind out of the gutter ;)
Sasha

Postby midger » February 1st, 2010, 10:32 pm

The 379LL was actually Joe Lynch's go to rod and one he fished virtually every time we fished locally and one he used in the Sierra High Country--headwaters of the SF Kern. It's the one he did his bow and arrow casts with. It is very well suited to tight quarters and has a similar action to the 389s. It's a great dry fly rod very suited to smaller streams. I like the longer 389 better, but that's because I have better line control with it, and I just prefer longer rods as I fish lots of medium to larger streams during the summer.

Honestly, both rods are coveted by many and I'd fish either one as they're both sweet casting rods. I've never personally owned a 379 LL, but did have two of the 379 VPS LL for a couple of months (cheaper versions of the LL). There is a 379-3 for sale on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Sage-LL-379-3-3-wt-Graphite-Fly-Rod_W0QQitemZ200433806670QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2eaac92d4e
midger

Postby meb » February 2nd, 2010, 9:44 pm

I have a Sage LL 389 and it is a great rod. For me a 3wt is a little light, but it is the rod I usually use in the Sierras.
I have a Scott G series 8'6" 4 wt that was my go to rod for many years before the LL389.
I have a Sage SLT 5wt that I love to use for bigger streams and fish.

The LL and SLT are the rods I use 90% of the time.

Mark
meb

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing