REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Slower action rods?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Slower action rods?

Postby Artin » February 25th, 2010, 8:09 am

The best advice is to go and cast a few rods and see which one fits your needs. It is difficult to compare the action of different manufacturers. All rod manufacturers have fast medium and slow action rods which on their stress charts fall into those categories. But they all differ from each other and this is just company specs.
I have a Winston Boron which is considered fast in Winston's perspective (I think) bu it's much slower than my Z-Axis.
I think if you cast the rods "first" you will connect with the one which matches your needs.

Hope this helps.
Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby planettrout » February 25th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Try casting one of these:

http://www.scottflyrod.com/rods2/g2

Then start $AVING UP...

PT/TB :rockon:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby Pete » February 25th, 2010, 5:23 pm

Sasha wrote:If you want slow you could always go glass or boo.

Bravo brother Sasha, bravo. About time somebody mentioned Bamboo and Glass,the class of the slow to medium action rods.

I may of missed it but, why are you interested in a slow action 5 weight? What type of fishing are you planning to do with it? IMHO slower action rods lend themselves to dry fly fishing more than slinging nymphs and streamers.

Save your pennies and get a Bamboo rod :bananadance: . With all the tapers out there you can go from slooooooow to a faster action. Faster action as it applies to Bamboo, would probably be a medium to moderate action plastic (graphite) rod. Then there are fiberglass blanks like a Steffen Brothers and McFarland. I'd say Lamiglas but, they have discontinued their fiberglass blanks.

A two piece Bamboo doesn't cost too much more than a snooty high end plastic rod. Also look into getting a Seiver blank built into a custom rod. I have built a couple for customers and they seem to lawn cast slower than some other rods I have cast. That being said, they still cast a ton of line.

You can't wave a slow action rod around like you can a fast action rod. Let to slow action rod work for you or you will hate it.
Pete

Postby fly_baby » February 25th, 2010, 6:23 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:I've got two Sage Launch rods. A 4wt and a 6wt. One thing they are not is slow. Maybe a med-fast, on the fast side. Not super stiff, but no where close to slow.

I like them, but have other rods I prefer in both line weights.

I have a Sage Launch 5wt and it's considered Med/Fast. I'd say it's more fast than medium, IMHO.
Carpe Diem does not mean 'fish of the day'
fly_baby

Postby meb » February 27th, 2010, 6:25 pm

Like others, I'm a big fan of the Sage LL and SLT rods as "medium" rods. One rod that hasn't been mentioned is the Scott G series. The 8' and the 8'6" 4 wts. are beautiful rods to fish and cast. For some reason they're not that popular, and you could probably pick one up pretty cheap.
meb

Postby tree catcher » February 27th, 2010, 7:20 pm

Thanks to my Dad, I have one of the older brown glass Scott Powrply rods. Let the rod do the work for you and its pretty darn nice. Too bad its a 6 or 7 wt. rod, I can't seem to use it on local waters. Need to take it up north soon.

Sean
tree catcher

Postby beachbum » February 27th, 2010, 7:43 pm

I had the 8 ft 6 inch 6 wt Powerply. It was an excellent rod for throwing big streamers, and nymphs. I wish I had not closed the trunk on it sometime in the late 80's. It was one of my first good rods, after decades of cheap ones because of a young family budget.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby planettrout » February 27th, 2010, 7:53 pm

OK...

Check here for the older Scott G Series Rods. Scroll down. I own two and LOVE them...

http://www.tradenstuff.com/GearList.htm

PT/TB :idea:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby tree catcher » February 27th, 2010, 8:34 pm

beachbum wrote:I had the 8 ft 6 inch 6 wt Powerply. It was an excellent rod for throwing big streamers, and nymphs. I wish I had not closed the trunk on it sometime in the late 80's. It was one of my first good rods, after decades of cheap ones because of a young family budget.

Took my son up on a 4 mile hike last year to a lake in Sequoia National Park. Upon almost dying from lack of oxygen we make it up to the lake. I start to assemble my Scott rod and help my kid out by putting a lure on his spinning rod. He goes to cast out and along goes the tip to the fly rod!!!! I panic and grab the rod from him and try to catch it back but no luck. After a few casts I give up and decide to fish for a few before I hand him back the spinning rod. On my next cast I get extremely lucky and catch the tip to the rod. I was back in happy land and out of grumpy land :rockon:. Wound up having a great day of fishing the lake especially with my son helping out some other anglers that were trying to catch fish with old hard salmon eggs. They said the fish would lood but not bite. We hand them a lure and tell them to tie it on. We check on them later and they have given up. I ask to see the lure and they still had the bobber, sinker and they put the old stale eggs on the lure. I take all that stuff off and hand the rod to my kid. He cast out, about then one of the guys ask if that will catch fish? About a second later my kid yells "GOT ONE". I was smiling the whole way down the trail. Now if I can only get him interested into flyfishing instead of those darn puter games!!!!

Sean
tree catcher

Postby BradW » February 27th, 2010, 9:10 pm

I love the thought of slow action rods. I can really feel the way they load up and cast with realitive ease. I just picked up an old enwick HMG blank that I hope to put together in the next couple of weeks. It should be really sllllllloooooowwwwww compared to the new graphites.

Brad
BradW

Postby briansII » March 1st, 2010, 10:56 am

planettrout wrote:OK...

Check here for the older Scott G Series Rods. Scroll down. I own two and LOVE them...

http://www.tradenstuff.com/GearList.htm

PT/TB :idea:

Thanks for posting this link. I had it bookmarked on an older PC, but hadn't saved that one. Prices are on the high side at this site. :|

If someone is looking for a sloooow graphite, they might try a older Winston, IM6. I have a 5wt, and it's very soft. I think it's softer than my vintage Fenwick glass rod.....which is relatively crisp as glass rods go.

briansII
briansII

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing