REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

new line issues

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: new line issues

Postby DubL HauL » October 9th, 2008, 12:15 pm

RichardCullip wrote:Got to love opinions - everyone has them, even if some of them conflict with others. The effect of the leader (furled/braided vs tapered) should be easy to check out. Just replace that furled/braided leader with a nice 7.5 to 9 ft tapered mono leader and see if it changes the results of the cast.

The other thing that might be happening is that the two fly lines (old e-bay line and new Orvis Superfine) might be significantly different weights (mass) in the first 15 to 20 feet. If so, this could affect your casting stroke and the ability to develop a nice bend (load) in the rod. The rod needs a certain amount of line weight in the air to develop a nice load which then supplies the energy to unroll the line in the direction and distance you want it to go. Without that bend in the rod during your forward cast and the unbend at the end as you stop the rod, there won't be enough energy delivered to the fly line to complete a decent cast. With either a poor casting stroke or not enough line weight in the air, it's pretty darn hard to get a good cast. You are doomed from the start if you are cursed with both problems.

In contrast to the good Dr Creek, I love casting my light weight rods (both my 00wt and my 7.5ft 3wt). I find them easy to load and they unload nicely with a good crisp stop (accelerate to a stop) resulting in a nice tight loop that will deliver the fly on target out to about 40ft (assuming you have some room for the backcast). I actually find them easier and more enjoyable to cast than my heavier rods.

Thanks for the feedback Richard

I might be suffering from a few things. One of my theroy's is the Superfine line has a MUCH larger OD which might cause wind drag, slowing down which throws my timing off. Before the line change I mastered this rod so it has something to do with the line change, not so much the short rod.

Additionally my flies are dropping horrible, which I am leaning toward leader issues that may be maginfied with the new line.

Thanks guys I'm going to see if I can give the Gen 3 a try this evening.

Andy

PS please don't laugh but here is a link to the line I was using. I paid about $11.00 and it was working fine for the poluted water I get into. http://cgi.ebay.com/WF2F-AQUANOVA-PREMI ... m153.l1262
DubL HauL

Postby rayfound » October 9th, 2008, 12:30 pm

DubL HauL wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Richard

I might be suffering from a few things. One of my theroy's is the Superfine line has a MUCH larger OD which might cause wind drag, slowing down which throws my timing off. Before the line change I mastered this rod so it has something to do with the line change, not so much the short rod.

Thanks guys I'm going to see if I can give the Gen 3 a try this evening.

Andy

PS please don't laugh but here is a link to the line I was using. I paid about $11.00 and it was working fine for the poluted water I get into. http://cgi.ebay.com/WF2F-AQUANOVA-PREMI ... m153.l1262

Andy, I jump in with reluctance here, as I have VERY limited experience. first off - the AquaNova ebay line. I've used it as well (DT on my 3wt) for about the last 9 months, and I can't really complain. It does pick up a lot of dirt and grime, and doesn't clean well, tends to sink a little.... BUT I did like the way it cast. I'm now using WF3F from Scientific Anglers, and its much smoother, but so far, I can't say it casts any better. I'd never had a "high end" line before, and wanted to experience the difference - so far I'm a little underwhelmed. (Though I love the leader loop and its much smoother.

I guess i haven't really helped, but I can say, the AN line cast decently, and the new one just might not be a good fit for your rod or casting style. What was wrong with the cheapie line?
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby DubL HauL » October 9th, 2008, 1:06 pm

Andy, I jump in with reluctance here, as I have VERY limited experience. first off - the AquaNova ebay line. I've used it as well (DT on my 3wt) for about the last 9 months, and I can't really complain. It does pick up a lot of dirt and grime, and doesn't clean well, tends to sink a little.... BUT I did like the way it cast. I'm now using WF3F from Scientific Anglers, and its much smoother, but so far, I can't say it casts any better. I'd never had a "high end" line before, and wanted to experience the difference - so far I'm a little underwhelmed. (Though I love the leader loop and its much smoother.

I guess i haven't really helped, but I can say, the AN line cast decently, and the new one just might not be a good fit for your rod or casting style. What was wrong with the cheapie line?[/quote]

Ray

In retrospect maybe the AN line wasn't that bad, like you said it just got dirty and I could see some cracks in the coating. I thought I was going to see some improvement with the Orvis line but maybe I need to do some more practice.

Did you notice if your new SA had a larger OD compared to your AN line? How about stiffness?

Andy
DubL HauL

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing