REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Grey haired, curmudgeons???

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Grey haired, curmudgeons???

Postby 209er » June 8th, 2011, 3:49 pm

And all this time I thought a bong was just for dope!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 209er
209er

Postby rkfiske » June 8th, 2011, 4:15 pm

I have fished with people more than twice my age on down the line and I gotta agree with Bill. Long as they are all passionate about fly fishing, I've never had a bad time. Also don't let mr. flybob fool you, he's in great shape for his age, though he gets rather homesick after a few days in the backcountry and starts getting 'visions' of women among other things :)
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby briansII » June 8th, 2011, 4:55 pm

beachbum wrote:While some of us may be older physically, we are all young at heart or we would not be so passionate about fly fishing. Between going back to college, and reading this thread I guess I have to admit I am one of the "old guys". I don't hop from rock to rock (but I do really great backwards swan dives off cut banks). It's still as fun for me to fish a fly as it was the first day I started.

I have fished with all age ranges of folks from this board, and never even thought about the age difference between us. There is one thing though...there's no substitute for experience 8-)

....and then you start repeating yourself.

It's all downhill fellas.

briansII ;) ;)
briansII

Postby BigBrownHunter » June 8th, 2011, 5:00 pm

hpskiff wrote:I am starting a new thread because I don't want to take the Caltrout, Tu, FFF thread off topic.

I just want to point out to the "young" guys on here that there does not need to be a big gap or awkwardness between you and most of the "Grey haired, curmudgeons" referred to in that other thread. Yes it takes a little patience on both sides to fish together but it is easily possible and enjoyable.

I recently went on a week long trip with 23 guys I had never met before. They were all members of two well established local clubs. At 36, I was the youngest on the trip by at least 12 years and I'm guessing I beat the average by 20+ years. We all had a great time and they went out of their way to make me feel welcome, and recruit me into their clubs.

So let me extend the welcome a generation younger, any of you teen to twenty somethings that want to fish the San Gabriels or Kelp beds shoot me a line. I may even bring one of those "Curmudgeons" along too.

Any tips or comments on fishing with people from a different generation are welcome.

Hey man I'll fish with ya..I'm 33 and dont really have anyone to fish with other than my "Curmudgeon" parents..hahaha I live in South Pasadena.
BigBrownHunter

Postby RichardCullip » June 8th, 2011, 7:24 pm

I've also enjoyed fishing with folks twice my age.....but that was 40 years ago ;) ;) ;) Now days, I'm on the other side of that equation (unless my fishing partner is 120 years old).
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby 1mocast » June 8th, 2011, 7:25 pm

I fish all the time with FF much younger than me. Give me a call if any of you young guys want to get together...Just don't call between 5-6pm since I will be at Denny's eating the the early bird specials. And don't call after 8 pm, since I will be in bed. ;)
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Fishfreak911 » June 8th, 2011, 7:28 pm

briansII wrote:
FlyinFish wrote:I fish with a few of the more "classic models" on the lot in this joint... one of them has a beard, but it's not really white... We seem to get along just fine.

As long as I take a few swigs of scotch or cognac before starting the day, we're all at pretty much the same pace. :D

:funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup:

I absolutely love fishing with younger guys. Who wouldn't want to be out hiked. Out fished. Out cast. Out partied. Out just about everything I value in my past time. Yeah, those #@&!*% kids are great! :|

Just don't tangle with me in a pie eating, or snoring contest. :bananadance:

briansII

LOL!

Challenge on the Pie eating only...ACCEPTED!

Seriously tho, all ages in this sport need each other. FF has its challenges 4 all peeps, and especially those not financially established. Kirk Deeter was at my FFCOC meeting Monday and talked about the 4 main obstacles to new "whippersnappers" joining this awesome sport.
1. The money thing
2. The notion that it is "difficult" (It's right about as difficult as u make it.)
3. Access to fishable water
4. Other "distractions" (video games, internet, school, girls, boys, etc.)

So, I too, welcome any and all newcomers and I don't care what your age is. As a matter of fact, you all look like handsome/pretty so-something year olds to me on FFA! (just don't add that "graybeard pic as your avatar!) :booty:
:grouphug:
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby FlyinFish » June 8th, 2011, 8:15 pm

I'll emphasize the experience part of it. Learning patterns in fly fishing just takes a lot of time. It's not quite like other types of fishing. There are just waaaay too many options for the fish and at times they can get very keyed in on something specific. Fishing with some of the crusty old guys takes a lot of the learning curve out of it.

As long as you're down for some good old fashion quality BS-ing, I'm down to fish with you.

And really, it's hard to find fishing buddies as it is in SoCal. I'm sure in Montana the high schools have fly fishing clubs, but in LA, that's a bit hard to come by. So my fishing buddies are an eclectic bunch, and I like it that way, and I doubt you'd be able to find such eclectic bunches of fishermen in most any other areas.
FlyinFish

Postby WanderingBlues » June 8th, 2011, 8:45 pm

The trout don't care how old you are.....
:rockon:
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby stanbery » June 8th, 2011, 9:20 pm

All I will say is this is a great topic!!

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Artin » June 8th, 2011, 9:47 pm

well, he I can say that I really enjoy my time on the water with elders, I don't miind at all!
I especially look foreword to kicking down my many many years of experience to fellow elder fly fishing brethren to help out fish counts etc.. Priceless!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But on a serious note,
It's aaaaaaaal gravy baby!

I enjoy it all.

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby hip » June 8th, 2011, 10:13 pm

Fishing with old people is fun. :rockon:

Just make sure they have a fresh pair of Depends on and your good to go. ;) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl.
Ernest Hemingway

hip

Postby flybob » June 9th, 2011, 6:52 am

I enjoy fishing with anybody that can put up with me! :lol:

My wife is amazed that anybody CAN! :oops:

Photos like this one from Blu's Welcome Home Reunion are my prized CATCHES from this great sport that knows no age boundries!

Thanks for putting up with this Gray-ing Beard!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby bfking3 » June 9th, 2011, 7:23 am

I've spent most of my life fishing with my two best friends from high school and our three dads.

The oldest of the six is north of 70 and he had a triple by-pass 8 years ago. But he can still do the 4 mile hike up to Slough Creek's second meadow in Yellowstone, catch 20,000 fish, and make it back to a fresh bottle of Sandeman Port by 4:30.
bfking3

Postby planettrout » June 9th, 2011, 7:55 am

FRYING PAN RIVER 1978...

Definition of CURMUDGEON
archaic : miser
: a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man

EWR 2011...

The head is Grey...the heart is not

PT/TB :rockon: :bananadance: :funnyup:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/