REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Asking For Your Help

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Asking For Your Help

Postby Artin » February 2nd, 2012, 5:35 pm

NICE!!!!!!!!!!

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby briansII » February 2nd, 2012, 5:41 pm

It's official! :rockon: :rockon:

http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2012/02/0 ... -proposal/

The California Fish and Game Commission today took final action to reject proposed changes to striped bass regulations.

In a unanimous decision, Commissioners voted not to pursue a proposal that would have changed sport fishing regulations related to anadromous striped bass, including increasing bag limits and decreasing size limits.

The proposal that was introduced by the Department of Fish and Game arose out of a settlement agreement resulting from a 2008 lawsuit. In that lawsuit, the Coalition for a Sustainable Delta, a group of San Joaquin Valley water districts, asserted that striped bass are harming native species, including endangered salmon and Delta smelt.

briansII
briansII

Postby Trootfisher » February 11th, 2012, 11:40 am

hpskiff wrote:Alright I have a question and as it is probably a stupid one so I apologize in advance, but here goes: Striped bass are an introduced species and are not native anywhere on the west coast of the United States, on top of that they are an aggressive predator and a prolific breeder, further they are adaptable to a wide range of water conditions, are my asumptions correct so far? With any other animal, insect, etc, this would be a recipe for an ecological disaster. So how are striped bass any different and why shouldn't DFG take steps to reduce their populations?

I am not trying to step on any toes here and I appreciate being "educated" by your responses. And yes I know most of our trout are introduced as well.

For the same reasons you will never see rainbow and (highly piscivorous) brown trout reduced or removed from the Owens river in order to bring back endangered populations of Owen's pupfish, Owen's tui chub, Owen's speckled dace, and Owen's sucker.

(moot now anyway)
Trootfisher

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing