REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Favorite Line Weight???

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Favorite Line Weight???

Postby 1mocast » January 16th, 2012, 8:35 am

Some are a dream to cast a dry on a windless day, but act up when it is windy (Not the casters problem of course),
Some are so powerful that they can shoot line like a rocketship out to the moon, and handle the bigger beasts,
Some are perfect for the high stick shuffle with a double nymph rig, but be careful of the rats nest!

They are like your children...I love them all! ;)
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Baughb » January 21st, 2012, 11:16 am

Decided to go with 4wt for most of my fishing

Joe Bradley 7.5' 4wt; snappy bamboo with loads of style and so fun to fish (Slow down!!)
Sage LL 8.5' 4wt: most streams and mid size rivers, let's even small trout put a decent bend in it and can handle bigger fish really well.
Hydros 9' 4wt tip flex: Fast long rod that that does need a bit of line out to cast at its best but is light and fun to use. Have landed big fish efficiently

And 6wt for the bigger lakes and rivers

Orvis 7 piece pack rod 9' 6wt: Mostly if I'm backpacking and lakes come into play.
Wright and McGill Waterseal Bamboo 8.5 6wt: heavy and delightful. I don't cast this rod as well as others but it's fun and lovely.
Sage XP 8.5 6wt: belongs to my buddy and I use it for the big rivers like the Missouri in Craig, the Henry's fork, and streamers on the Madison.
(In the market for my own or a similar replacement)

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby Papasequoia » January 23rd, 2012, 10:08 am

Man, this article on the fly fishing equivalent of the jazz notion of "finding your ax" could be copied and pasted into any number of threads. Favorite rod or favorite line weight - same thing.

http://midcurrent.com/experts/fly-fishing-jazz-bonding-with-the-ax/
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing