REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fluorocarbon

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Fluorocarbon

Postby rkfiske » January 21st, 2010, 3:12 pm

FlyinFish wrote:For me, it's not visibility... it's the low memory, abrasion resistance, and shock absorption. Most people use FC for those reasons from trout to bass to cow tuna. I'm willing to pay the extra money and deal with any other cons to have these pros...

Ryan, please don't go to the dark side. The weather will warm up soon and the fish will be slurping things off the surface again with reckless abandon.

Haha, I just gotta try it, I'm all about learning techniques to increase my knowledge. Its the limitless knowledge that I believe got me into this sport. I know it wasn't ultimately the quest for monstrous fish that's for sure, but maybe one day I'll focus on hog hunting. There are so many ways to fish on the fly and I love that fact. We gotta head back up to where we were last trip in the spring and slay them!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby Eric » January 21st, 2010, 4:15 pm

Ryan the dark side is calling :bananadance: :bananadance: Don't pay any attention to those Dry fly guys ;)
Eric
Eric

Postby FlyinFish » January 21st, 2010, 5:22 pm

rkfiske wrote:Haha, I just gotta try it, I'm all about learning techniques to increase my knowledge. Its the limitless knowledge that I believe got me into this sport. I know it wasn't ultimately the quest for monstrous fish that's for sure, but maybe one day I'll focus on hog hunting. There are so many ways to fish on the fly and I love that fact. We gotta head back up to where we were last trip in the spring and slay them!

Fo sho! It's like east coast micro brews... I know I won't like them, but I still try them so that I can definitively say they suck! hahaha

Definitely make it back up there. Until then, let's look into the Owens or something. I'll even try to learn some nymphing myself.
FlyinFish

Postby Jim T » January 21st, 2010, 5:31 pm

Since when did euro nymphing become the dark side?

I guess it's like an author I read recently said:

"No matter what kind of fishing you do, there's always someone else to look down on" when referring to his use of soft plastics on the fly rod for bass vs someone else hanging a chunk of pork off their spinner baits.
Jim T

Postby rayfound » January 22nd, 2010, 4:01 pm

Jim, its just nymphin in general.

We small creek guys like the simplicity and excitement of fishing dries all day long. We know we have to nymph on other waters and when its cold... but it doesn't mean we're happy about it. Nothing to do with looking down. Whatever it takes to connect with wild trout.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby WatchinTheWater » January 23rd, 2010, 7:53 am

I have used flouro exclusivly for the last couple of years both dry and nymphing. Even if I pay top dollar for it I think it's worth it for all the flies that I get back from the far bank, trees and various other snags that I might not get back with mono. At shop fly prices a half dozen recovered flies pays for a small spool. Although I do get back alot of flies that I tied that I might not want anymore.
WTW
WatchinTheWater

Postby fly addict » January 23rd, 2010, 9:27 am

Ryan,
Just in case you might not have made up your mind yet. This is something you might want ot check out. The Magazine Fy Fish America, Oct/Nov 2009 has a good story about mono v fluro. You can find it Sport Chalet for free.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby castaway » January 23rd, 2010, 9:39 am

This thread got my gears turning.

I was reading about dry fly fishing, and have read for very still water, with spooky fish -using very light floro is the way to go. Not only is it stronger, but it will dip under the miniscus of the water, and become invisable. I have fished 6x mono and been * because I can see my line on the water... with flor0, this wont happen. Also, when using very light floro it really doesnt sink per say. It just kinda floats under the surface, and thus becoming invisable.

I think the Kings river, casting to the healthy sippers would be a good example of where to use floro when dry fly fishing.

Also, in super clear water, we have all seen our 6x mono leaving a shadow on the river bottom and a line on the surface... thus slowing the rise of the large fish.. and allowing for the little dumb guys to go get in the way.

I think for 6x and above (anyone own 9x floro yet?) I am going to go with floro 90% of the time.

Rayfound, Last year I discovered the pure joy of tossing mini streamers on the small creeks... absolute blast! the fish go nuts.. watching em dart all over the pool taking swipes at the streamer! Like a shark feeding frenzy
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby rkfiske » January 23rd, 2010, 1:21 pm

All good suggestions, I think I'm going to buy a spool of regular fluoro at a big box store and test it out. If it seems like it works just as well as the tippet spools of the stuff I might start respooling :) Otherwise I'll just go ahead and keep using the Rio fluoro which is quite nice. I guess this is still a pretty contentious discussion with great suggestion from a variety of fronts. Thanks for all your input guys!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing