REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Top 10 Picks for Best Factory Flyrods of All Time

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Top 10 Picks for Best Factory Flyrods of All Time

Postby whitefish ed » February 11th, 2010, 12:28 am

favorites:
powell featherlite
orvis henrys fork
st. croix avid
cabelas sli

most favorite: st croix 9' 3wt avid
whitefish ed

Postby Sasha » February 11th, 2010, 8:52 am

whitefish ed wrote:favorites:
powell featherlite
orvis henrys fork
st. croix avid
cabelas sli

most favorite: st croix 9' 3wt avid

You know I have an 8'6" Henry's Fork 5wt and I don't really care for it that much. Maybe I should bring it out again and re-evaluate.
Sasha

Postby castaway » February 11th, 2010, 9:17 am

Just for a heads up... I read a review of the Sage ZXL and it was compared to the LL series. I have not played with the LL series but I do own a ZXL - it is much more of a "mellow" casting rod I guess its what you call progresive flex... its probably the easiest rod I have tossed.

My ZXL is a 5wt.. but they make em down to a 2 or 3wt as well. might be a good option if you like the LL series.

Nice to see the St. Croiv Avid get a second nod as well... I own the 7'9" 3wt and its the rod i will be buried with.

Has anyone used a dorber blank? I have read good stuff about them, especially the ultra-weave blanks

http://www.dorber.com/blanks.html

Very good prices.. with a wide variety of wts and lengths... even a 10' 1wt for 60 bucks (would make a fine Owens stick..if that is your home waters) !!!! :D
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby whitefish ed » February 11th, 2010, 1:00 pm

Sasha wrote:You know I have an 8'6" Henry's Fork 5wt and I don't really care for it that much. Maybe I should bring it out again and re-evaluate.

correct me if im wrong Sasha...but it seems to me you prefer faster action rods and the orvis model is a fairly slow rod. for close in dry fishing..it loads easier than a faster phone pole type rod which is why ive pretty much parked my fast action stuff.
whitefish ed

Postby Sasha » February 11th, 2010, 1:25 pm

whitefish ed wrote:
Sasha wrote:You know I have an 8'6" Henry's Fork 5wt and I don't really care for it that much. Maybe I should bring it out again and re-evaluate.

correct me if im wrong Sasha...but it seems to me you prefer faster action rods and the orvis model is a fairly slow rod. for close in dry fishing..it loads easier than a faster phone pole type rod which is why ive pretty much parked my fast action stuff.

Well I don't think that I would call any of my favorite rods fast. Here is my list of favorite rods: Sage 080-3 SPL, Sage 080-3 SLT, and Orvis 865-2 ZG Midflex 6.5. I hate my tip flex 9.5 9wt; I hate my TFO 3wt because it is also too stiff. I don't own one but I had the chance to fish a 389 LL and liked it, I also really liked the 4wt bamboo rod I was playing around with as well. I sold my Orvis 761 Superfine 5.5 full flex, not because I hated it I just wanted to get extra money to buy other rods.

I had the chance when I was fishing with JB a few years ago to try out a ton of different rods. Everything from Loomis to Winston, I typically liked the softer action rods better.......I am not sure why I never really cared for the Orvis HF. But I have changed quite a bit since I last fished it so I think I will give it another go. I might fish it side by side with my ZG when I go to the "O" here soon and see.
Sasha

Postby Pete » February 11th, 2010, 1:42 pm

Here's my entry for the top 10 list: Only factory rod I still own but, it is a beauty of a rod: Sage RPL 490. It is a great casting rod. I'll probably never part with it.

Haven't used a factory rod since I started in on Bamboo and Fiberglass. Sold all the other factory rods.
Pete

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing