REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

city to live in

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: city to live in

Postby Rollincast » February 17th, 2010, 9:27 am

Rockstar Fisherman wrote:I love California for its diversity (geography wise), but *, these politics and SoCal/bay area thinking are really screwing things up. .

Here you go Rockstar, how about a new CA.............http://downsizecanow.com/

I also enjoy the warm winters and warm summers of Central CA. I can drive 3 hours and catch any kind of fish that I want. Tough to beat.

Randy
Always looking for brownie points
Rollincast

Postby FlyinFish » February 17th, 2010, 9:38 am

Light rail/high speed rail... yup, would be nice. Jump on a train for $20 and be in Sacramento in a few hours. Have my buddy pick me up, stay at his place, ski Tahoe, fish, head back, all in a weekend. And the same goes for going down to San Diego or to Santa Barbara. Cheap ticket, fast ride, stay with a friend. I'd use the crap out of it.

And dare we venture one step further? A TRAIN TO PORTLAND AND SEATTLE :o :shock: NO WAY! It can't be done! Ask Alaska Airlines if that's a viable market... costs more to go LAX - SEA than it does LAX - JFK. And the Amtrak ride is 36 hours.

It's ok though, the Exposition light rail will be in place by like 2015. I'll be able to get from my house to downtown in twice the time it takes to drive in traffic and at only 1.5 times the cost of gas and street parking.

Ok, I'm done, sorry.
FlyinFish

Postby flybob » February 17th, 2010, 9:47 am

Hi Speed Rail In the WEST.......HA HA HA, not in my lifetime!

I am a Hoghead (railroad buff) do you know how long we have been "Going to get" Hi speed rail in Ca.?
Walt Disney was going to help start it in the fifties with his monorail....he was going to pay for the intial run from El Monte to Anaheim, the Auto industry paid off the local politicos and they rejected the plan.

The airlines have a boatload of cash to lobby against it! This why AA is now going to charge you $8 for a blanket, to beef up the "kill hi speed rail fund"......hhhhhmmmm lemee see, crank up the AC, everyone wants blankets! CHA CHING! :bananadance:

But just maybe, I have hope, Bob Dylan was right, "The Times, They ARE a Changing"
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby fly addict » February 17th, 2010, 10:10 am

I bet they could build the high-speed rail if it just went in a small circle. :lol: ;)

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Rob909 » February 17th, 2010, 10:42 am

Artin wrote:We need a businessman/woman in office to figure out the finances of the state or what? Obviously our congress doesn't know it's head from it's butt!

http://www.megwhitman.com/

Rob
Rob909

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » February 17th, 2010, 10:49 am

Rollincast wrote:
Rockstar Fisherman wrote:I love California for its diversity (geography wise), but *, these politics and SoCal/bay area thinking are really screwing things up. .

Randy

This is great Randy, and best part is, Kern County is still in CA :bananadance: :bananadance:
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby Rob909 » February 17th, 2010, 10:53 am

As for a city to live in......

I was born and raised within an hour of where I live now. Lived in Soutern California all my life and I have enjoyed it.

But recently the cost of living along with the job market has had the wheels turning in my head. I realize its a global economy thing, but it has had me considering options.

And one of the places I looked into was Boise, Idaho. I've gotten some great info from people that know the area and it sounds nice. But like others have mentioned I would definitely want to spend some time there, and in the winter as well before making a decision.

Rob
Rob909

Postby briansII » February 17th, 2010, 11:09 am

Rollincast wrote:

I also enjoy the warm winters and warm summers of Central CA. I can drive 3 hours and catch any kind of fish that I want. Tough to beat.

Randy

And that site/org is based in Fresno! :rockon: Go figure. :lol: :lol:

Tough question, but like many replies, my Home is here. Moving somplace else would be moving _away_ from Home. If I was forced to move.....maybe the Keys, Bend, Or. or Martha's Vineyard.

briansII
briansII

Postby Artin » February 17th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Papasequoia,
You are right... this is not the forum for this. I removed the post No worries..

It would be cool to have a high speed rail though. I would add Redding to the list of cities already mentioned. I could go on a Fri. night and be back Sun. evening.

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby FlyinFish » February 17th, 2010, 4:24 pm

Well, I don't where I'll be living in 5 years, but in two days I'll be standing in the Lower Owens!!! And that's all I have to say about that...
FlyinFish

Postby Papasequoia » February 17th, 2010, 5:09 pm

Post deleted and moved to PM. I agree, rail would be cool. One of the neatest trips I took was by train over a couple of days. But, getting to someplace near Redding in a few hours would be pretty cool too. :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Artin » February 18th, 2010, 7:57 am

Ok Ok...., I know it's not stateside but I'd like to add one more to the list of cities....

Queenstown, NZ....
My reasons...
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2861&hilit=honeymoon

hubba hubba...

Now if we can only put together and patent a "beam me up Scotty thingie" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby FlyinFish » February 18th, 2010, 11:35 am

Craig, I didn't know you spent time in WA. Are you a Seattle Native? or a WA native?

I wish I knew you guys the two summers and the year and half I spent up there. I had the hardest time finding any water to fish and finding any fishing buddies. That whole Scandinavian/Norwegian isolationist, keep to yourself thing. I did manage to find a few cutthroats that were like our gems, but man I missed out.

Oh well, I'll be visiting plenty and I may even end up there for a period of time myself...
FlyinFish

Postby fflutterffly » February 18th, 2010, 6:28 pm

Politics! Is that what this thread is about? Don't forget one thing... This is really just a one party country... THE CAPITALIST PARTY with two separate branches. They are all politicians... not one better or worse... we still have it the best. I'm basically a centrist... I'm to stupid to make up my mind. So don't forget a republican is in office and Democrats have been there also... it was a joint venture sending us all down the tube. If voters spent half the time studying the issues as they do watching idiots on reality shows we'd have a fine state.

There's no doubt I'm staying on the west coast.
Atrin I agree about unions... completely in all fields. They have become fat and greedy on our dollar. When someone can go out for 5 days, return for 45 min. and go out again for another 5 days.... that's excessive. What happened to our working ethics? Oh gawd I'm on a jag!
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby Papasequoia » February 18th, 2010, 8:24 pm

fflutterffly wrote:I agree about unions... completely in all fields. They have become fat and greedy on our dollar.

I will send you an angry rebuttal via PM since I don't think "general fly fishing" is the section to rant about unions pro or con. I'm not sure when I'll have time though since I'm so fat and lazy.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing