REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fish love snow and they love flies, so................

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Fish love snow and they love flies, so................

Postby BradW » January 17th, 2010, 10:51 pm

Midger,
Very generous offer. I'll put down 28" and hope you get a bunch more.
Brad
BradW

Postby stanbery » January 18th, 2010, 3:38 am

I will take 41" Mike

Mini buggers is what you should tie :rockon:

Very kind offer Mike

jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby tyingfool » January 18th, 2010, 7:18 am

I will say 12.5" Mike I hope its five times that.Not that I want you stuck in running springs for a week but we need water.

Thanks David
Aspire to inspire before you expire.
tyingfool

Postby WanderingBlues » January 18th, 2010, 7:45 am

27"even. Of course that depends on where you are in RS. Being a Rim dweller myself, we alsways get 4-6" more than folks on the backside.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby midger » January 18th, 2010, 9:04 am

WanderingBlues wrote:27"even. Of course that depends on where you are in RS. Being a Rim dweller myself, we alsways get 4-6" more than folks on the backside.

WB,
I live in the Nordic Tract--the highest place in Running Springs. The house sits on a 6200 foot contour ring and we have a great view of Snow Valley Ski Area's Slide Peak.

BTW, it rained all night, not a heavy rain, but a soaking, steady rain. No snow and outside air temperature is 39 degrees this morning at 8:00. So far, MK4 is looking good at 1 inch. :lol: :lol:

I'll take snow estimates until 6:00 PM tonight as that's the time period most say the "real" games are supposed to begin.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby rkfiske » January 18th, 2010, 9:32 am

I'll play, throw me down for 38! ( I think that's a tad hopeful, but the storm is supposed to get colder I think as the week progresses so we'll see) Good idea midger!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby darrin terry » January 18th, 2010, 9:33 am

I'll play too I guess…51.5 inches.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby fly addict » January 18th, 2010, 11:26 am

Darrin Terry wrote:I'll play too I guess…51.5 inches.

Darrin,
If Midger gets that much snow we will have to form a rescue party and go dig him out. :funnyup:
Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby beachbum » January 18th, 2010, 12:05 pm

The serious stuff is just starting to roll in. Batten down the hatches!
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby darrin terry » January 18th, 2010, 12:05 pm

That's OK Mark. I am hoping for something near the high end of the predicted 1-6 feet. Besides, if I win, I am gonna ask the flies be donated to Ariel's charity collection and those have until March 31. Plenty of time for Mike to dig himself out. :lol:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby lucfish » January 18th, 2010, 1:52 pm

Sounds like fun. 20 inches is my guess Lucfish
lucfish

Postby Papasequoia » January 18th, 2010, 2:12 pm

midger wrote:Figured I'd repeat the picks here so you won't have to look back to page 1 to find a remaining snow depth number.

Here are picks:-------Inches of snow
1. Benny----------------43.5
2. Mike (DrCreek)---------37.0
3. Matt (Buggravy)--------28.5
4. PapaS (Jon)------------39.0
5. Ashtree1 (?)-----------24.5
6. Beachbum()-----------32.0
7. 209er ( )-------------34.0
8. flyaddict ( )-----------33.5
9. jbm78 ( )-----------32.5
10. MK4---------------- 1.0
11. fly_baby(Ava)---------30.0
12. Eric-----------------36.0
13.Castaway (Bill)--------33.0
14.Wildman(Jim)---------40.0
15.Frank---------------20.0
16.rayfound(Ray)--------54.5
17. RiverRat------------12.0
18. Autodave-----------36.5
19. seamus-------------26.0
20. fflutterffly(Ariel)------27.5
21. briansII(Brian)-------- 6.0
22. dirtyrider219(KC)-----18.0
23. Sasha---------------7.0
24. Rob909-------------49.5
25. SheriffJoe-----------56.0
26. meb(Mark)----------16.0
27. mtnguru (Chris)------13.0
28. duckdog------------25.0
29. 1mocast (Mark)------44.0
30. shootinghead--------42.0
31. tomsakai (Tom)------59.0
32. Justin--------------43.0
33. BradW-------------28.0
34. stanberry (Jon)------41.0
35. tyingfool-----------12.5
36. WanderingBlues-----27.0

I don't know why you guys are bothering, I can tell you right now how it's going to turn out. MK4 is going to be looking good with his lowball estimate as it rains most of today. However, it turns colder overnight and changes to snow. Near morning, some accumulation starts, and the folks looking at around a foot ((tyingfool, mtnguru, sasha, brian, riverrat) start to feel like winners. Unfortunately, their hopes are dashed as it continues snowing through the day, and as the sun starts to set, the 2' people are starting make room in their flyboxes (Brad, duckdog, KC, Mark/Meb, Seamus, Frank, Ashtree, Matt, lucfish). But a midnight check shows the number climbing above 2', so WanderingBlues, Ariel, Bill, Beachbum, Ava, Jbm78 and Eric start to feel a bit *. Big mistake, because it is still cold and snowing the next morning, so Papa, Justin, Shootinghead, Mark/1mocast, Autodave, Wildman/Jim, 209er, Creek, Stanbery, flyaddict and even Benny start rubbing their hands with glee. Rain starts for a brief period though, bringing hope to those with lower numbers. But, as the day cools, big flakes start to fall fast and furious. The big number bettors start to chuckle (Rob909, Ray, SheriffJoe, Tom).

As we get closer to the finish, it looks one of them will win. But wait, an unexpected break in the storms comes along and the sun comes out! The snow starts melting faster than an ice sculpture at a Malibu beach wedding in July. The snow level plummets, passing through the 6' then 5, 4, 3, 2... Then, just as it starts to look like someone from the <1' crowd will win, the temps cool and stabilize. Mike heads out to take his final measurement, looking at something around a soggy one foot of snow. However, as he opens the sliding glass doors to step out onto the deck to measure, the vibration from the door triggers the snow on the roof to slide onto the deck! This makes the final total 39". And the winner, in a neck and neck, last minute win is... :?: (Was there ever any doubt? Sorry if I missed anyone. Not that it matters, you didn't win anyway! :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby fly addict » January 18th, 2010, 2:42 pm

Papasequoia wrote:
midger wrote:Figured I'd repeat the picks here so you won't have to look back to page 1 to find a remaining snow depth number.

Here are picks:-------Inches of snow
1. Benny----------------43.5
2. Mike (DrCreek)---------37.0
3. Matt (Buggravy)--------28.5
4. PapaS (Jon)------------39.0
5. Ashtree1 (?)-----------24.5
6. Beachbum()-----------32.0
7. 209er ( )-------------34.0
8. flyaddict ( )-----------33.5
9. jbm78 ( )-----------32.5
10. MK4---------------- 1.0
11. fly_baby(Ava)---------30.0
12. Eric-----------------36.0
13.Castaway (Bill)--------33.0
14.Wildman(Jim)---------40.0
15.Frank---------------20.0
16.rayfound(Ray)--------54.5
17. RiverRat------------12.0
18. Autodave-----------36.5
19. seamus-------------26.0
20. fflutterffly(Ariel)------27.5
21. briansII(Brian)-------- 6.0
22. dirtyrider219(KC)-----18.0
23. Sasha---------------7.0
24. Rob909-------------49.5
25. SheriffJoe-----------56.0
26. meb(Mark)----------16.0
27. mtnguru (Chris)------13.0
28. duckdog------------25.0
29. 1mocast (Mark)------44.0
30. shootinghead--------42.0
31. tomsakai (Tom)------59.0
32. Justin--------------43.0
33. BradW-------------28.0
34. stanberry (Jon)------41.0
35. tyingfool-----------12.5
36. WanderingBlues-----27.0

I don't know why you guys are bothering, I can tell you right now how it's going to turn out. MK4 is going to be looking good with his lowball estimate as it rains most of today. However, it turns colder overnight and changes to snow. Near morning, some accumulation starts, and the folks looking at around a foot ((tyingfool, mtnguru, sasha, brian, riverrat) start to feel like winners. Unfortunately, their hopes are dashed as it continues snowing through the day, and as the sun starts to set, the 2' people are starting make room in their flyboxes (Brad, duckdog, KC, Mark/Meb, Seamus, Frank, Ashtree, Matt, lucfish). But a midnight check shows the number climbing above 2', so WanderingBlues, Ariel, Bill, Beachbum, Ava, Jbm78 and Eric start to feel a bit *. Big mistake, because it is still cold and snowing the next morning, so Papa, Justin, Shootinghead, Mark/1mocast, Autodave, Wildman/Jim, 209er, Creek, Stanbery, flyaddict and even Benny start rubbing their hands with glee. Rain starts for a brief period though, bringing hope to those with lower numbers. But, as the day cools, big flakes start to fall fast and furious. The big number bettors start to chuckle (Rob909, Ray, SheriffJoe, Tom).

As we get closer to the finish, it looks one of them will win. But wait, an unexpected break in the storms comes along and the sun comes out! The snow starts melting faster than an ice sculpture at a Malibu beach wedding in July. The snow level plummets, passing through the 6' then 5, 4, 3, 2... Then, just as it starts to look like someone from the <1' crowd will win, the temps cool and stabilize. Mike heads out to take his final measurement, looking at something around a soggy one foot of snow. However, as he opens the sliding glass doors to step out onto the deck to measure, the vibration from the door triggers the snow on the roof to slide onto the deck! This makes the final total 39". And the winner, in a neck and neck, last minute win is... :?: (Was there ever any doubt? Sorry if I missed anyone. Not that it matters, you didn't win anyway! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Midger,

After reading this, who can argue with that type of thinking. I think Jon’s got it right. You might as well send him the flies now. :lol:

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby midger » January 18th, 2010, 3:13 pm

fly addict wrote:
Darrin Terry wrote:I'll play too I guess…51.5 inches.

Darrin,
If Midger gets that much snow we will have to form a rescue party and go dig him out. :funnyup:
Mark

Actually the most I can recall since living up here is around 86 inches of snow in a tad over a 2 day period.

If this rain turns to snow anytime soon, the snow will build quickly. I'm right at the freezing level now (2:10 PM) as it is alternating between rain and slush right now. Maybe a 1/4 inch on the decks so I'll post a picture before it gets dark tonight.

PapaS may have a playable scenario with the exception of the avalanche off the roof--the measure area is far enough removed that an avalanche off the roof is a nonplayer. Rain on top of snow could drive the levels down though, so we won't know the winner until Friday evening.............Everybody's guess is still in play.

At least I'm not having to shovel yet. :rockon:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Danny McB » January 18th, 2010, 3:49 pm

I'm in

Danny McB

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing