REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

PONTOONS vs. FLOAT TUBES

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: PONTOONS vs. FLOAT TUBES

Postby midger » October 4th, 2008, 2:50 pm

Benny wrote:
RichardCullip wrote:
One thing to note is that, in California, once you put a motor of any type on a pontoon boat you need to register it it with the DMV. As long as it is human-powered you don't need to register it but once that motor (electric or small gas) goes on it, it needs a CF number.

I have not seen any CF numbers on any of the pontoons with the trolling motors as of yet. I will keep looking though. How much would the registration be for a 9 foot pontoon. That kind of sucks...I guess if you want to play you've got to pay :(

Thanks

You may not have seen the numbers, but if you don't have them, the cost of the citation will far exceed the cost of the yearly registration. The registration requirement was why I let my whitewater raft's expire and I haven't used the trolling motor for over 5 years.

Actually the fees aren't that bad compared to California's boat launch fees.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: PONTOONS vs. FLOAT TUBES

Postby briansII » October 6th, 2008, 10:42 am

Benny wrote:The DMV is so full of it. Who makes up these rules?
And these registration fees are on a yearly basis, correct...WOW

I've been very busy, but i'm going to register my pontoon.......just as soon and I get my closet cleaned, and my tying desk organized. :roll: :lol:

If you do register your toon, DMV will want a serial number, or vin number. I think the newer toons are coming with this, but you may want to check on it, just to be safe. The older ones didn't have any such numbers, and I think the owners had to go through the usual DMV two step/headaches to get them registered.

briansII
briansII

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing