REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fish love snow and they love flies, so................

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Fish love snow and they love flies, so................

Postby Wildman » January 20th, 2010, 6:17 pm

I've got 20 inches on the ground now and it is still coming strong. Since they don't plow our dirt roads, we will be snowed in until after the weekend for sure. We are at 4500 feet.
I am counting on Midger getting at least 40 inches by Friday.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby midger » January 20th, 2010, 6:27 pm

Here's today's reports. At 7:30 this morning we had 4 inches and the temperature was just a hair over 32 degrees. The storm moved in at around 1:00 PM and it is still snowing hard. It is supposed to snow for the next two days.
Temperature this morning:

The temperature is now 30 degrees and it is snowing very hard--probably 1-2 inches and hour (5:00 PM):

BTW, it just passed 14 inches.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby rayfound » January 20th, 2010, 7:28 pm

40" to go
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Papasequoia » January 20th, 2010, 7:36 pm

Wildman wrote:I've got 20 inches on the ground now and it is still coming strong. Since they don't plow our dirt roads, we will be snowed in until after the weekend for sure. We are at 4500 feet.
I am counting on Midger getting at least 40 inches by Friday.

As long as he is half an inch under that 40 all is well. :D
Jim, time to tie some flies, eh? Raining most of the afternoon here in Ridgecrest, and still going strong.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Sasha » January 20th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Its all going to melt by Friday :lol: ;)
Sasha

Postby fly addict » January 20th, 2010, 8:25 pm

midger wrote:Here's today's reports. At 7:30 this morning we had 4 inches and the temperature was just a hair over 32 degrees. The storm moved in at around 1:00 PM and it is still snowing hard. It is supposed to snow for the next two days.
Temperature this morning:

The temperature is now 30 degrees and it is snowing very hard--probably 1-2 inches and hour (5:00 PM):

BTW, it just passed 14 inches.

You just need 19.5 inchs more and I win!!! :lol:

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby midger » January 21st, 2010, 8:54 am

We had a mildly snowy night. I plowed a 40 inch berm out of the front of my driveway last night and have a 24-30 inch one this morning where the snowplow threw it when it came by last night. We got another 4-5 inches overnight bringing the deck measurement to 21", plus it is snowing this morning. It sure is pretty, and I'm sure the fish will be happy campers this summer--maybe not so much now as I'm sure the water is very cold. The water was down in the high 30s last time I measured the temps. Outside air temp today is 31 degrees which bodes well for any incoming moisture being snow.

Here are the AM shots:

As for prior postings of the Land Cruiser last season, there was 28 inches on it at the deepest measurement; it's had as much as being completely buried in the driveway though--probably 5 feet or more--in years past.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby rayfound » January 21st, 2010, 9:07 am

nws.noaa.gov wrote:Today: Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Areas of fog. High near 32. Breezy, with a south wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to between 20 and 25 mph. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 23 to 29 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Patchy fog. Low around 26. Breezy, with a southwest wind between 20 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.

Friday: Snow showers likely. Some thunder is also possible. Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 28. West wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

So, using the low side of the numbers: 21", Plus 23, plus 11, plus 3 = 58" - Never would have thought my guess of 54 1/2" could be on the low side... Still think I am looking pretty good!
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby midger » January 21st, 2010, 10:30 am

If it stopped right now, Ashtree would be looking good as we're pushing 24 inches. Fortunately, or unfortunately if you are the snow blower/shoveler, it isn't stopping and the major portion of the snowfall is supposed to hit today and tonight. I just finished cleaning up another 30 inch berm. Can't wait for the next one. The price we pay for living near the trouts, Oi Vay. :lol:

Here are picks:-------Inches of snow
1. Benny----------------43.5
2. Mike (DrCreek)---------37.0
3. Matt (Buggravy)--------28.5
4. PapaS (Jon)------------39.0
5. Ashtree1 (?)-----------24.5
6. Beachbum()-----------32.0
7. 209er ( )-------------34.0
8. flyaddict ( )-----------33.5
9. jbm78 ( )-----------32.5
10. MK4---------------- 1.0
11. fly_baby(Ava)---------30.0
12. Eric-----------------36.0
13.Castaway (Bill)--------33.0
14.Wildman(Jim)---------40.0
15.Frank---------------20.0
16.rayfound(Ray)--------54.5
17. RiverRat------------12.0
18. Autodave-----------36.5
19. seamus-------------26.0
20. fflutterffly(Ariel)------27.5
21. briansII(Brian)-------- 6.0
22. dirtyrider219(KC)-----18.0
23. Sasha---------------7.0
24. Rob909-------------49.5
25. SheriffJoe-----------56.0
26. meb(Mark)----------16.0
27. mtnguru (Chris)------13.0
28. duckdog------------25.0
29. 1mocast (Mark)------44.0
30. shootinghead--------42.0
31. tomsakai (Tom)------59.0
32. Justin--------------43.0
33. BradW-------------28.0
34. stanberry (Jon)------41.0
35. tyingfool-----------12.5
36. WanderingBlues-----27.0
37. rkfiske-------------38.0
38. DarrinTerry---------51.5
39. lucfish-------------20.0
40. DannyMcB----------17.0
41. tree catcher---------47.5
42. flybob--------------46.5
midger

Postby lucfish » January 21st, 2010, 2:30 pm

Midger: I know I don't post much, but this little contest is cool. It's alot of fun (for me) to watch the daily increase of snow @ your place, see where everybody is at and knowing it will do alot of good for all the local streams and even the lake I happen to live on. Thank-you Luc
lucfish

Postby midger » January 21st, 2010, 2:52 pm

lucfish,
The contest is all for fun. I actually love the snow and have way more flies than I'll probably ever use. As long as the electricity stays on, we're fine. It went off from 9:30 until 11:30 but is back on now. It also warmed up enough to rain on the snow we had, and we lost several inches to compression--KC at 18.0 is now in the driver's seat, however, looks like it is starting to turn back to snow, so could pile up quickly. They're still calling for 2-4 feet over the next 1 1/2 days.

Just had a good breakfast with the neighbors. Had them come down after plowing for Ham, bacon, eggs, country fried potaoes,............We have to keep our strength up for this afternoon's plow duty. ;)
midger

Postby Papasequoia » January 21st, 2010, 2:59 pm

Um, it's 35 degrees right now in Ridgecrest, and the pouring rain is starting to look fatter. You know, like it does when it's thinking about trying to turn into snow? So, uh, is it too late to change our predictions? :lol: Or maybe I should have a contest for Ridgecrest? I'll give the right shoe of a pair of wading boots (and the left one if I ever find it) plus a guided trip on the river currently running through my garden to whomever can guess how much snow I find on the car in the morning? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby Papasequoia » January 21st, 2010, 5:52 pm

Update: About a half hour after I posted that it started snowing, heavy. It's the first time I've seen it snow midday in Ridgecrest in the 14 years we've been here. The most we usually see is an inch or so, early in the morning that fell overnight and is gone by 9. Here's a few pics.

33 at 2PM???!!!

Waiting for the kids to get out of school, note the river running down the side of the road, it's been raining hard all morning.

Snow in the palm trees pic to send friends and family back east.

Time for a 'how much snow on the car by morning' contest?

And a river runs through it.

Time to order more firewood!

So, in addition to the wading boot and the guided fishing on my own private stream, I lifted up the couch cushions and found 17 cents, a shoelace that is in pretty good shape, and a lollipop still in the wrapper. Obviously Mike's contest prize pales by comparison. But, it really isn't good manners to hijack his thread with a competing contest, I guess. So, I suppose I'll put this one off until the next time it snows in the middle of the day in Ridgecrest. :lol:

Hope you don't mind my sticking these pictures on your thread, Mike. All this talk of snow and contests got me so excited I didn't know where else to put them! Image
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby beachbum » January 21st, 2010, 6:41 pm

Great updates, Mike. This has been a nice distraction from the storms. We just had some heavy winds, sideways rain, and it seems to be a pattern of nasty weather tonight. Be careful out there folks, wherever you are!

Bill
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby midger » January 21st, 2010, 7:04 pm

Jon,
I like the snowy palm's shot. This is some strange storm action, with one right after another.

We got a lot of rain today. I just snowblew 4 inches of snrain out of my driveway. The blower was shooting as much water out as it was snow. Looks like we are back to snow again and it's built back to 19 inches. It'll be interesting to see what type snowfall we get tonight. Weather estimates range between 1-3 feet, which usually means a couple of inches. :lol:
midger

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing