REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

2nd annual Fly Addicts BBQ and Casting Games

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: 2nd annual Fly Addicts BBQ and Casting Games

Postby WanderingBlues » April 8th, 2012, 10:28 am

Good pics! Man, I miss you guys.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby flybob » April 8th, 2012, 10:50 am

Mark, Larry and all the casting instructors, thanks so much for putting this on!
What a great way to spend a beautiful Saturday at the coast, save for the breezes which made the casting all the more challenging, but hey, just like HC right?
The food was great, the drinks were cold and the friendship warm. :grouphug:

Just a few more shots to add to the mix.

On a side note, I had at least four people come up to me and ask about getting into fly fishing, I just kept directing them to the Ring Leader, aka fly addict, heck I think he even landed a corporate gig out of it! :lol:

Until the next games!
cheers!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Rob909 » April 8th, 2012, 11:07 am

rkfiske wrote: and Rob was kind enough to even fill my girlfriend in on the famous bear scat story. I may have forgotten to mention how that tale really ended to her ;)

Sorry about that Ryan......I was working under the assumption that everyone knew the entire story :? My bad :(

All in all, my family had a great time. The food was great and it was great seeing old friends again. Was also able to finally put some faces to screen names as well since I haven't been on the water much lately.

And I'll second Ryan's thanks to Kathy (casting instructor) for spending time with all the women showing them how to cast. My wife and daughter enjoyed it a lot. They kept saying "12 to 2" the whole drive home......that is until Amanda fell asleep!

Rob
Rob909

Postby Papasequoia » April 8th, 2012, 11:18 am

Looks like a blast, guys. It almost makes me wish I lived in LA (LA for me being anything south of Palmdale :D ). I hope to make III if there is one. 8-)
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby lucfish » April 8th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Thanks Mark for putting this on again. For those who weren't able to make it, you missed a good one. Lot's of good food. The pulled pork was great and Bob's smoked salmon was as good as it gets. The games were alot of fun, certainly not as easy as I thought it would be. Like others have said, it's nice to put a face to a name and see other old friends again. I missed a day of fishing but it was well worth it and would do it again in a heartbeat.
lucfish

Postby 1mocast » April 8th, 2012, 6:08 pm

Mark, Larry, and the Casting instructors,
Thank you for another great day out by the beach. I 2nd what everyone has said so far...Its good to hang out with friends and families. :grouphug:

Tom,
Thank you for your gracious donation of the casting prizes. I will enjoy my flask...

mark
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby flyster » April 8th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Great day, food, casting instructions and good people!! The games were as last year a hole lotta fun especially with all the wind not easy. Thanks to all who set up this gig and to the score keepers too!!!! My wife enjoyed herself tremendously and made some new friends as well. She also claims she can fly cast now. Hmmm, this I have to see for myself!!! See you all next year.
" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Postby meb » April 8th, 2012, 6:39 pm

Yesterday was really fun. What a great group of people with a wealth of fishing experience. Watching the casting instructors like Joe and Larry (sorry I forgot the others' names) inspired me and has me thinking about learning more about being a FFF certified instructor.

I enjoyed hearing about everyone's exploits, especially all the talk about catching bass.

I had to leave early, so I missed some of the fun and food, but I want to thank everyone who had a hand in organizing such a great day.

Mark Brown
meb

Postby Gary C. » April 8th, 2012, 7:30 pm

Sounds and looks like you guys had another great meet up. I do have to ask one question though. Whats with the casting with one knee down in the ring? I could have won that competition for sure! At least if hanginging your rig in the trees behind you was the goal. I can decorate a tree like nobody's business from the three point position. :doh:
Gary C.

Postby Eric1 » April 8th, 2012, 8:01 pm

Guys looks like you all had a great time. I missed a good one.
Eric
Eric1

Postby beachbum » April 9th, 2012, 10:30 am

It looks like another fantastic event! Wish I could have made it!!
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby fly addict » April 9th, 2012, 7:08 pm

I would like to thank all of you who attended the get together this weekend. It is amazing how a group of guys and gals who only know each other on a forum. Have a common bond of the joys of flyfishing can make something like this happen. I saw a lot of people who were having a great time socializing, casting and eating lots of good food. I enjoy being a part of it and look forward to doing it again next year. Those of you who could not make it this year for one reason or another, I hope you can make it to the next one.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Troutinator » April 10th, 2012, 6:49 am

Yes, that did look like it was a lot of fun. We don't make it down to San Diego often, but that certainly should have been enough of a reason for weekend getaway. Maybe next spring.
Troutinator

Postby Fishfreak911 » April 10th, 2012, 12:04 pm

Mark, as usual, you spearheaded quite the get together! Thank you! The food, friend, casting, and weather was something to behold. Let me start off with the crack that was served. Flybob makes one helluva smoked salmon! I couldn't stop eating it! And his wife's secret mustard dill sauce just made it that much better!

Whoever made teh pasta salad, YUM! And no onions!!! :bananadance:

Mark made some amazing smoked pork that probably came out a bit later than I wish as I was too full to have much more than a taste. Planned perhaps? :mrgreen:

It was great to see all the faces, and the CI's who showed up to judge. This was a first class deal all the way around.

The prizes were a fun addition to teh festivities. I am ready for next year!
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby briansII » April 10th, 2012, 2:12 pm

Thanks to all who posted pictures of the event. It's nice to get a glimpse of the fun.

briansII
briansII

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing