REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Stocking the Kern

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Stocking the Kern

Postby castaway » February 12th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Sasha,

if you can convience the locals of that, as well as members of our legislature, 500,000 campers a year, 100,000 bait guys, thousands of kayakers, and the DFG... you might win yourself a noble peace prize.

Baby steps... start with moving the special regs down to fairview (which will happen) and stocking KRR.. baby steps
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby castaway » February 12th, 2010, 6:00 pm

You are correct...

what should I say?

that I think everything turned out "Ok" with all things considered (local folks, tourism, realizing the river is the most heavily visited river in california)?

I am writting all these replys while I am stuck at work.. so I guess I am wasting my time... but the alternative is working! :D

Also... I have achieved a few goals... I got at least two people fired up enough to do what they can (Craig and Jon).. and I have realized that I need to do more.. so if I cut off my hand to save my life... Im ok with that. Sometimes the end justifies the means.

I will be out on the kern picking up trahs and fishing for stockers next week... I think that is what I am good at.

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby Papasequoia » February 12th, 2010, 6:01 pm

castaway wrote:I choose not to write a letter - well.... because I think the situation is being handled as good as possible. (as good as possible being the key phrase)

castaway wrote:So when it comes to issues of the kern, your opinion and your thoughts have little weight in my book….I do respect you on a number of issues... but this is not one of them.

Image Ditto. Image

castaway wrote:I choose not to write a letter - well.... because I think the situation is being handled as good as possible. (as good as possible being the key phrase)

castaway wrote:So when it comes to issues of the kern, your opinion and your thoughts have little weight in my book….I do respect you on a number of issues... but this is not one of them.

Image Ditto. Image

Image Ditto. Image
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby castaway » February 12th, 2010, 6:04 pm

Jon..

Im pleased with the results.. I guess a thank you card would work.

make that 3 people that have an increased interest and are going to take action!

DAMMMM I AM GOOOOD!

So Jon, Craig and myself are pledging to do more.... who else?

castaway

Postby Papasequoia » February 12th, 2010, 6:06 pm

Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby Sasha » February 12th, 2010, 6:07 pm

Papasequoia wrote:Image

Hey buddy I already called dibs on the popcorn in this thread :lol:
Sasha

Postby Papasequoia » February 12th, 2010, 6:08 pm

Sasha wrote:

Sorry, how's this? Image
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby castaway » February 12th, 2010, 6:11 pm

You know I love you Craig...

My best friend and I agree on NOTHING political...

I enjoy a spirited debate... just keep it above the waste.

(I will try also!)

So whos with me!

We can all do something? Craig and his NASA station work on the internet, I will go pick up trash, jon will swing his mighty pen(nis) and ???? who else?

castaway

Postby Sasha » February 12th, 2010, 6:14 pm

Papasequoia wrote:
Sasha wrote:

Sorry, how's this? Image

You might want to try this instead :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) ;) ;)

Sasha

Postby castaway » February 12th, 2010, 6:17 pm

castaway

Postby castaway » February 12th, 2010, 6:19 pm

Me too Craig...

Just wait till we are Jon's age... couple of mean old B@stards

All right Im out.. Done with work! Got some castles to storm and trash to pick up!

see you clowns Monday

castaway

Postby Papasequoia » February 12th, 2010, 6:43 pm

wildfly wrote:I don't know if you could tell by the way I hopped on this even though I've been trying hard not to get myself in the middle of issues anymore, but I was already fired up when I hopped in on this one. Didn't need any encouragement :fart: I'm an opinionated man, and I seem to only get more so as I age. It's a curse, I tell you!

Here you go, Craig. It's medicine, take liberally until you feel the curse lifting away from you... Image
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby RiverRat » February 13th, 2010, 7:18 am

Sasha wrote:So help this non-resident out a bit. Is the consensus that stocking is bad or good on the Kern? I am a bit confused after reading this thread…..

Personally I would think that stocking would not be a good thing. I say this because I personally know a few devout gear guys back home that told me that they would not go there because they were no longer stocking. Now I have been friends with one of them for over 27 years and yes I attempted to try to get him into fly fishing but that is a subject for another thread. So when I think about it seems that not stocking would be a good thing. If there are less gear guys then the place will get trashed less right?

I remember reading a post where someone suggested managing it like a “blue ribbon” fly fishing river. Would this not be the ideal solution? There are plenty of those types of places up here and they seem to attract people from all over the world. I would also assume that the amount of people that hit the places up here also spend money at local businesses.

All of us know without a doubt that if every river was ran like a blue ribbon fishery it would be incredbile for everyone! But it's hard to change 70 years of "culture" probigated by the state making lazy fishermen. Is stocking good for the Kern? Yes it does help keep people from the backcountry waters, it does introduce people to fishing but it also ruins them by making them think it should be easy every time, and it does generate income for the locals. Personally I could live without it. The last year was heaven on the river, except for 5 months of rafting and summer *. I was having 20 fish afternoons over and over but also experienced more skunks than ever. Skunks made me a better fly flicker by forcing me to learn the entomology. A cool 80 percent of my fish were caught on dries during hatches. During the spring, fall, and early winter my fish averaged 11-13" and I lost some pigs. During the hot summer they were smaller 8-10" models. I've also figured out that there are two distinct type of rainbows successfully spawing in different sections of the river. Castaway is right because he spent the time busting his butt getting off the beaten path and found a lot of the wild guys. I also didn't have to backpack once since everyone was up poaching the high country :fireangry: All by myself most of the year in the 20 mile which felt good since I'm getting older. Anyways a utopian river would be really cool but the reality is that it will be a long fight but somebody needs to try.

shane

three more people to help with the cause works for me :rockon: :rockon:
RiverRat

Postby Sasha » February 13th, 2010, 11:35 am

RiverRat wrote:
Sasha wrote:So help this non-resident out a bit. Is the consensus that stocking is bad or good on the Kern? I am a bit confused after reading this thread…..

Personally I would think that stocking would not be a good thing. I say this because I personally know a few devout gear guys back home that told me that they would not go there because they were no longer stocking. Now I have been friends with one of them for over 27 years and yes I attempted to try to get him into fly fishing but that is a subject for another thread. So when I think about it seems that not stocking would be a good thing. If there are less gear guys then the place will get trashed less right?

I remember reading a post where someone suggested managing it like a “blue ribbon” fly fishing river. Would this not be the ideal solution? There are plenty of those types of places up here and they seem to attract people from all over the world. I would also assume that the amount of people that hit the places up here also spend money at local businesses.

All of us know without a doubt that if every river was ran like a blue ribbon fishery it would be incredbile for everyone! But it's hard to change 70 years of "culture" probigated by the state making lazy fishermen. Is stocking good for the Kern? Yes it does help keep people from the backcountry waters, it does introduce people to fishing but it also ruins them by making them think it should be easy every time, and it does generate income for the locals. Personally I could live without it. The last year was heaven on the river, except for 5 months of rafting and summer *. I was having 20 fish afternoons over and over but also experienced more skunks than ever. Skunks made me a better fly flicker by forcing me to learn the entomology. A cool 80 percent of my fish were caught on dries during hatches. During the spring, fall, and early winter my fish averaged 11-13" and I lost some pigs. During the hot summer they were smaller 8-10" models. I've also figured out that there are two distinct type of rainbows successfully spawing in different sections of the river. Castaway is right because he spent the time busting his butt getting off the beaten path and found a lot of the wild guys. I also didn't have to backpack once since everyone was up poaching the high country :fireangry: All by myself most of the year in the 20 mile which felt good since I'm getting older. Anyways a utopian river would be really cool but the reality is that it will be a long fight but somebody needs to try.

shane

three more people to help with the cause works for me :rockon: :rockon:

Thanks for helping this non-resident to understand what is going on a bit more.
Sasha

Postby Sasha » February 13th, 2010, 11:44 am

DrCreek wrote:
castaway wrote:
You can add another letter to your team name "E - elite" BJEAC's :rockon: :lol:

I changed mine to comply. :D Thanks for the hot tip, man. What about you, Sasha? Have you changed yours yet? I'm gonna have to change the logo on our shirts again !! :lol: Ball Juggling Elitist butt Clowns. Why didn't I think of that?

(Dear Jon, I hope my elitism doesn't change my current and/or future status with the CNFFC. :lol:)

Dammit I am an elitist 0wt fly fisher :rockon: Maybe it should be Team BJE0wtAC :lol:
Sasha

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing