REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Short Line Nymphing

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Short Line Nymphing

Postby midger » October 17th, 2013, 10:22 am

I know some of you are dry fly or die kinda flyfishers, but nymphing is a great way to catch fish, big fish, when they just aren't rising to your dries. I came across this video on Kiene's forum and it's worth a look. The scenery is beautiful, the river is a great one to fish for large fish, and it is a great nymphing river. I used to fish it a lot when I lived in Northern California and the video made me homesick for those waters around Hirschdale, Floristan, and other places along the T.

Not my video, nor do I know the guides who had it filmed. I just thought it was nicely done, and the big brown they stuck was a very nice fish in anybody's book

"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: Short Line Nymphing

Postby WanderingBlues » October 17th, 2013, 11:11 am

Very nice. Beautiful water, too!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby briansII » October 17th, 2013, 1:59 pm

They did a great job on that video. Not your usual "clinic" video.

The T is a really fun river......well, except for the crowds.

briansII
briansII

Postby beachbum » October 17th, 2013, 5:54 pm

Great video, great river. I have had some amazing days on it.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Bernard » October 18th, 2013, 5:39 am

Thanks for sharing this! I love short line and/or high sticking. I still dream of drifting that river and fishing the more random and hard-to-reach points between Truckee and the state line. A few weeks ago I used ne of those Truckee crayfish patterns (for dead drifting) on surf perch and it outfished everything I and a buddy had. We worked for a solid 2+ hours switching flies out constantly to try and prove that it wasn't the fly. Ok so back to the river ... One shot in that video where two guys are on a gravel/cobble bar fishing a deep run reminds me that, if your knees and waders can take it, you shouldn't rule out some sort of low profile approach even if nymphing (even if it's discolored water too). The bar itself can provide cover with one standing in the smaller and shallower run (after you have fished it of course!). Just my 2c. Ya never know if some hog is still hanging lazily close to where you might be eventually standing. This may certainly be part of their clinic so I am not trying to criticize the video. You can't show everything.
B
Bernard

Return to General Fly Fishing