REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The most innovative fly rod........

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

The most innovative fly rod........

Postby briansII » November 26th, 2013, 4:10 pm

.......of our generation, and it doesn't come from Sage.

We all missed out on the opportunity to be a part of fly fishing history. The donation period has ended, and they achieved their goal. I'm crushed......but we can send in pre-orders.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-m ... -pre-order

Who's going to be the first kid on the block to have this revolutionary rod.

Since I'm not buying any gear this year, I can't order one until 2014.

briansII
briansII

Re: The most innovative fly rod........

Postby darrin terry » November 26th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Funny how they hype the crap out of it without saying anything of importance about why it is supposed to by better. The funky new fangled grip must make it better. Hmmm. There may be something to this…you might want to tell Randy about it.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Pete » November 26th, 2013, 5:58 pm

For a traditional builder, like me, it is hard to look at. But, new innovations don't come without pushing the limits into uncharted territories.

Can't see myself giving up on my glass and grass just yet though.

Pete
Pete

Postby darrin terry » November 26th, 2013, 6:26 pm

I went to the Arctic Silver website to get a little more info. Looking at the vid, the grip looked like it might allow the rod to flex thru the grip better and according to the website, that is the intent. Supposed to allow better power loading of the rod due to no glue and with less effort. Interesting idea that makes some sense. Still, I don't see a new rod company making it work on their own. Too many well established players out there, I think.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby WanderingBlues » November 26th, 2013, 6:46 pm

I'd donate if they were a video production company. They have that down pat!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby lucfish » November 26th, 2013, 6:58 pm

I don't get it. To me that grip looks very uncomfortable. How much farther could this possibly cast? And how much farther do you need to cast? Match a good rod with the right line and you should be able to cast all you need, if not, it's not the rod.
lucfish

Postby briansII » November 26th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Bah! All the skeptics will be assimilated once this design masterpiece hits the market. The Sages, Winstons, Scotts, etc., will be left to catch up. It will dominate the 5 wt/8 wt Shootouts(once Yellowstone Angler gets exclusive rights to sell them)for years to come. It will make the average caster into Steve Rajeff.

Or not.

briansII
briansII

Postby fly addict » November 26th, 2013, 9:43 pm

When it comes to casting, it's not about the rod! A good caster can make any rod work. A lousy caster with a great rod will still be a lousy caster.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Dry Fly Rie » November 26th, 2013, 9:52 pm

fly addict wrote:When it comes to casting, it's not about the rod! A good caster can make any rod work. A lousy caster with a great rod will still be a lousy caster.

So what if you're like me; a lousy caster with a bad rod? :doh:
I guess there's no hope for me.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby briansII » November 26th, 2013, 10:49 pm

Looks like they borrowed their reel design from....

And their groundbreaking grip from......

Truly innovative stuff!

briansII
briansII

Postby FlyinFish » November 27th, 2013, 12:07 am

I have a better idea for getting a more "thru-grip" design that will give you more feel and keep the action of the rod more uniform... Just take a blank and wrap it with bicycle grip tape... No glue, no stiff cork, enough thickness for ergo, soft, grippy, and flexible. No?
FlyinFish

Postby charlie » November 27th, 2013, 8:14 am

The reel looks like a mouth screaming. Maybe Edvard Munch influence? Are the batteries rechargeable?
charlie

Postby fly addict » November 27th, 2013, 8:49 am

Dry Fly Rie wrote:
fly addict wrote:When it comes to casting, it's not about the rod! A good caster can make any rod work. A lousy caster with a great rod will still be a lousy caster.

So what if you're like me; a lousy caster with a bad rod? :doh:
I guess there's no hope for me.

There is always hope, it depends on how much you want to improve. Take lessons, and practice, and you will get better. Becoming a better caster will improve your distance and accuracy with less effort on your part. It will also give you the opportunity to make presentations to fish in places most people pass on. And maybe catch a few more fish. Jim (Wildman) took the time to learn to cast. His casting improved along with the number of fish he catches.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby briansII » November 27th, 2013, 10:19 am

On a more serious note. I do appreciate the forward thinking folks, who come up with things like this. It's one thing to have an idea. It's another to see it through on a finished product of this scale. Respect to them.

I've mulled this subject over before. Not on fly rods, but some conventional bass rods I had built. The handle length can vary a lot, and I wondered how it would effect the action. Is the lower section not meant to be a part of the rod's action. I never did get a solid answer. So I wonder if the fly rod makers design their rod tapers, with the grip as part of the equation. My guess is yes, how could they not. If so, then how is this new grip going to be "a better mouse trap". I'd be curious to do a side by side test.....or at least read one. I'm guessing it will feel different.

briansII
briansII

Postby Jimbo Roberts » November 27th, 2013, 1:20 pm

Paint me skeptical for several reasons.

First most modern rods designed for casting great distances have relatively fast actions and stiff butt sections.
For this concept to work the butt section must flex significantly to release any power in the casting stroke.
I can only see any advantage when one is casting great distances with a slower action rod. Spey casting for salmon maybe, but I can't see much advantage for more mainstream flyfishing.

Most of my flyfishing for Trout is done at 40' or less. I have no trouble casting these distances and really easily double that. The most modern evolution of flyfishing is the Czech/French nymphing where everything is at close range. I too am in the close as possible flyfishing camp.

I also believe that technique trumps tech when it comes to casting.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing