REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

ANNUAL GOALS & RESOLUTIONS

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

ANNUAL GOALS & RESOLUTIONS

Postby WadeK » December 30th, 2013, 4:42 pm

The new year is upon us. What goals and resolutions should we make?

For me:
1.) Learn to mend line better. I know this holds me way back in my dry fly fishing, and a little in my nymphing.
2.) Learn to reach cast better. This kind of goes with #1.
3.) Spend less time on dead water. I spend way too much time on water that COULD hold fish, instead of going to water that SHOULD or DOES hold fish.
4.) Do something more for the fisheries. I usually make it a point to haul out trash, but I haven't actively worked on a fisheries enhancement project in a long time.
5.) Help someone else improve their game. Even if it means setting my rod down in a hot bite.

Tight Lines,
Wade
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Re: ANNUAL GOALS & RESOLUTIONS

Postby Wildman » December 30th, 2013, 4:48 pm

WadeK wrote:The new year is upon us. What goals and resolutions should we make?

For me:
1.) Learn to mend line better. I know this holds me way back in my dry fly fishing, and a little in my nymphing.
2.) Learn to reach cast better. This kind of goes with #1.
3.) Spend less time on dead water. I spend way too much time on water that COULD hold fish, instead of going to water that SHOULD or DOES hold fish.
4.) Do something more for the fisheries. I usually make it a point to haul out trash, but I haven't actively worked on a fisheries enhancement project in a long time.
5.) Help someone else improve their game. Even if it means setting my rod down in a hot bite.

Tight Lines,
Wade

Worthy goals, Wade.

Of all of these, I think helping someone improve is very special. I cannot count all of those who have helped me along the way and patiently, very patiently repeated the essential lessons so I could catch fish. You know who you are and I try to pay it forward as much I can.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby fly addict » December 30th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Wade,
I plan on doing a clinic on slack line casts and mends next year for the SSFFC. Keep an eye on the Kern site for more info. The class will be geared for strong intermediate to advance casters. You need to be a member of the club, and the clinic is free.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby RichardCullip » December 30th, 2013, 6:39 pm

I resolve to fish more in 2014 ;) ;)
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby WadeK » December 30th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Jim,

I totally agree.

FlyAddict,

Thanks for the heads up!

Rich,

Considering how often you hit the water this year, that might be a hard resolution to keep, but I have confidence in you! ;) When are we going to hit the water again.

Tight Lines,
Wade
WadeK

Postby WanderingBlues » December 30th, 2013, 10:16 pm

As always, my main goal is to get out more with fellow Addicts. I want to continue to expand my universe of waters, and to learn different styles of fishing.

Mostly, I want to continue to strive to find a little peace out on the water.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Ants » December 31st, 2013, 10:02 am

The first goal is to continue fishing as much as possible, even if it is only a few hours a day.

The fly casting forum has lots of advice on improvements. Casting with a learning and catching goal!

There seems to be a lot of fishing above 9,000 feet that I am neglecting. Hike and fish.

Also, Eastern AZ and adjoining NM have a lot of water to explore. Hopefully, a few Gila and Apache trout. Hook up the trailer, head to the hills and hike and fish.

Ants
Ants

Postby Gila Trout » December 31st, 2013, 3:11 pm

Survive my daily commute on the 91 fwy. between Orange and Riverside County. Todays drive was down right scary. Also, I want to start fishing with glass rods again. My goal is to buy one of the new Orvis Superfine 8' 5 wt. glass rod and assemble a 8'6" 3 piece 5 wt. on Steffen glass blank. Both of these rods will make fine lake and tubing rods. The new Orvis glass rods are amazing. Finally, and of course fish as much as possible.

Lanny
Gila Trout

Postby lucfish » December 31st, 2013, 4:08 pm

Realistically I know work will get in the way of some fishing locally (not a bad thing though) but I still have four multiday trips planned for 2014, the first one next week with Papa for Steel. June will be off for Tarpon in Florida with buddy Kris, late summer I am planning a trip to Southern Oregon with the little women for a look see and some steel and of course steelhead with one of my bros in October. Of course there will be a couple of week-ends to the east side depending on water conditions. Most week-ends I'm not working will be at Canyon popper fishing with friends and a few striper and carp trips to spice things up. Now that I'm writing this, I can't wait for 2014.
lucfish

Postby briansII » December 31st, 2013, 4:41 pm

My goal for 14' is to be less goal oriented. :) Having goals are fine, but I'm a little bit OCD when it comes to fishing goals. Time to get back to fun fishing.....I vow to have fun, EVEN IF IT KILLS ME!!! :PO:

Since I said I wouldn't buy any gear in 2013, I can't wait for it to be over. First thing I'm going to buy is.........

Not really.

briansII
briansII

Postby RichardCullip » December 31st, 2013, 4:46 pm

Gila Trout wrote:Survive my daily commute on the 91 fwy. between Orange and Riverside County. Todays drive was down right scary... Lanny

Good luck with that. I'm on a short stretch of the 91 (btwn I-15 and the 71) a couple of times a month as we travel btwn Poway and Fresno/Madera to visit family. That's usually the toughest part of the drive, especially the connection from northbound I-15 to westbound 91. Crazy drivers out there.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Jimbo Roberts » December 31st, 2013, 5:27 pm

briansII wrote:My goal for 14' is to be less goal oriented. :) Having goals are fine, but I'm a little bit OCD when it comes to fishing goals. Time to get back to fun fishing.....I vow to have fun, EVEN IF IT KILLS ME!!! :PO:

Since I said I wouldn't buy any gear in 2013, I can't wait for it to be over. First thing I'm going to buy is.........

Not really.

briansII

I've got a red one like the third on the right.
I would like to build a 10' 4wt, find another Ross San Miguel #3 for it, find some new streams in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana full of big Cutthroats, and make enough money to pay for all of it. Oh and not be so compulsive about collecting more flyfishing gear. Well maybe that last one is not such a bad problem after all.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby Rasputinj » December 31st, 2013, 11:23 pm

Goals

1. Get back to New Zealand if I can
2. Fish again in Vancouver if I can
3. Work on my casting, mending.
4 Continue to work on building bamboo rods with Dray.
5. Fish locals once the rain comes
6. Catch a Golden, Kern River Trout and a Cutt.
7. Visit sister in SLC area to fish Provo River, Green Fiver and Bear River.
8. Tie more flies this year.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby fshflys » January 2nd, 2014, 7:47 am

[/quote]
I've got a red one like the third on the right.

Jimbo[/quote]

Jimbo, that would be 9th on the right, or 3rd on your other right (left).

1, My main resolution would be not to be so critical.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby WadeK » January 7th, 2014, 9:39 am

"Jimbo, that would be 9th on the right, or 3rd on your other right (left).

1, My main resolution would be not to be so critical."

When I'm stuck behind a slow-poke on the freeway I say "It's the pedal on the right! Push it!" Then when I see brake lights, I say "No! The right right!"

Maybe I should make the same resolution? Either that or take my foot out of the injectors.

Tight Lines,
Wade
WadeK

Return to General Fly Fishing