REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

WARNING: Flyfishing can be hazardous.......

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

WARNING: Flyfishing can be hazardous.......

Postby midger » January 23rd, 2014, 10:10 pm

..........to your retirement nest egg. I was reading some "stuff" on the internet and came across this bit of advice.

7 ways to blow your retirement savings—Imagine my shock to see what number 3 was:

Adopting too many expensive hobbies

Hobbies are a great way to stay mentally and physically active, meet new people and just enjoy retirement. However, hobbies that require frequent equipment upgrades, lessons, membership dues or travel can get very pricey.
Investigate a hobby before you dive in. Figure out how much it's going to cost, and try it out before you start spending a lot of money on it. Retirement should be enjoyable, but spending more than you have by taking on hobbies you can't afford will end up taking the fun out of it.

:bananadance: BTW, any of you that become worried can email me and I'll send you my address so you can divest yourself of all that nest egg depleting gear. :bananadance:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: WARNING: Flyfishing can be hazardous.......

Postby Papasequoia » January 24th, 2014, 12:07 am

'Bout time you figured out that you need to get back to work. :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby KRoberts1 » January 24th, 2014, 6:19 pm

I;ve got a whole separate 401K set aside for fish'n trips for retirement. Planning ahead for those destinations...with water to fish.

keith
KRoberts1

Postby Fishfreak911 » January 29th, 2014, 10:31 am

Too late..... :sad:
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby bassman » January 29th, 2014, 10:57 am

Fishfreak911 wrote:Too late..... :sad:

+1...Figured I'd accumulate while I can still use it, then divest myself of it when I can't. Or leave it behind for the kids to sell.
I have made a big list of the values of the bamboo rods and Hardy reels I have to leave with my will. This is to make sure my wife doesn't sell all that stuff for what I SAID I'd paid for it. :doh: ;)
bassman

Postby briansII » January 29th, 2014, 11:11 am

Bah! I don't buy it. Fly fishing is not that expensive.

If you trout fish, all you need is two affordable rods and reels. If you fish for bigger, stronger fish, two more rods and reels. 4 complete setups can be had for under 1K. A few essential accessories like line, waders, flies and such and you can do that for well under 1k. A 2K investment will have you set for life. Travel costs could put a dent in your finances, but then just fish local.

See. Not so bad. :P

briansII
briansII

Postby midger » January 29th, 2014, 12:18 pm

briansII wrote:Bah! I don't buy it. Fly fishing is not that expensive.

If you trout fish, all you need is two affordable rods and reels. If you fish for bigger, stronger fish, two more rods and reels. 4 complete setups can be had for under 1K. A few essential accessories like line, waders, flies and such and you can do that for well under 1k. A 2K investment will have you set for life. Travel costs could put a dent in your finances, but then just fish local.

briansII

Ah grasshopper, you leave out annual license costs for 4-5 states, airfare to said states, motels/hotels, and of course a new rod to fish these "different" waters, new waders every 2-3 years after the old ones get shredded by barbed wire or berry bushes. Even if you fish locally, you'll need a $30,000 4wd to get you to your locals, gas to get you back and forth to said locals, $2000 in fly tying stuff to match the nonexistent hatches on our locals, yada, yada. Heck I figure more like $2000 a year is more likely and that's on the low side. ;)

Where do you fish Brian that you can do for your prices? Guess I better just sit in the living room and watch fishing videos on my 60" HGTV with surround sound..........Hey wait, that's just as expensive. :twisted:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » January 29th, 2014, 2:58 pm

midger wrote:Where do you fish Brian that you can do for your prices? Guess I better just sit in the living room and watch fishing videos on my 60" HGTV with surround sound..........Hey wait, that's just as expensive. :twisted:

I don't fish. I just post on internet forums. :bananadance:

briansII
briansII

Postby midger » January 29th, 2014, 6:01 pm

briansII wrote:
midger wrote:Where do you fish Brian that you can do for your prices? Guess I better just sit in the living room and watch fishing videos on my 60" HGTV with surround sound..........Hey wait, that's just as expensive. :twisted:

I don't fish. I just post on internet forums. :bananadance:

briansII

Well now I know why flyfishing is so inexpensive for you. Talk is cheap, right? ;) ;)
midger

Postby stanbery » January 30th, 2014, 4:27 pm

briansII wrote:Bah! I don't buy it. Fly fishing is not that expensive.

briansII

Brian
Since you only need 4 complete setups plus a few essentials when would you like me to stop by and pick up the stuff you do not need? Give advanced notice so I can get the simi ok. LOL

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby midger » January 30th, 2014, 6:22 pm

:funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup:
midger

Postby Richard W T » January 31st, 2014, 3:57 pm

I'm never going to be able to retire :cry:
"How do you help that son of a *?"
"By taking him fishing."
-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
Richard W T

Return to General Fly Fishing