REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

A Deliberate Life

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

A Deliberate Life

Postby midger » January 24th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Fly fishing can be an all consuming hobby for some, a brief passion for others, and even a way of life for a few. We all sometimes question the directions are life is taking, will take, or has taken. Sometimes we just "go with the flow" and life just happens.

Some of you may have already come across this 18 minute video. It's a good one IMO, and it touched some of the things I've actually thought about the past few years. It's not so much about fishing, but there is fishing in it. It's about living and the choices we make. If you take the time to watch it, watch the trailer at the end and listen to the music. It'll make you think.

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2013/12/05/hatches-theater-a-deliberate-life/
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: A Deliberate Life

Postby WanderingBlues » January 26th, 2014, 8:36 am

I was able to watch about half of it. For some reason, my internet has never loved Vimeo. But, what I watched was dead on. Flyfishing has made me a better person. I respect the resources more, have far more patience, am keenly aware of the moment, and treasure the friendships made on the water.

Good call, Mike.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby duckdog » January 26th, 2014, 9:29 am

I watched all of it. It made me want to quit my job, sell my house,live out of my truck and just fish. Then Karen came in and informed me that I need to get to work. I get to build surfboards all day so I am living the dream--but it aint fishing.
duckdog

Postby Jimbo Roberts » January 26th, 2014, 3:17 pm

I was there about almost 20 years ago. I was tired of the chase. I had been working at a car dealership and the 6 day weeks wore me down. I quit and headed for Montana. After getting my bearings skiing for a month or so I decided I was going to become a flyfishing guide.
Then my parents had some serious medical problems and I had to go back to Texas to help them out. That lasted over a year. I wanted to go back to the mountains, but my dad needed constant supervision. We didn't have the money for a nurse, so I took the job. I never did make it back to pursue guiding. My dad has amazed all the doctors and is still alive at 93. I still watch him and try to get away to fish whenever I can. Funny how life seems to say there's always tomorrow.
I'm 61 now and really to old to take up guiding. I do think about what might have happened had things been different.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby midger » January 26th, 2014, 4:17 pm

duckdog wrote:I watched all of it. It made me want to quit my job, sell my house,live out of my truck and just fish. Then Karen came in and informed me that I need to get to work. I get to build surfboards all day so I am living the dream--but it aint fishing.

It doesn't matter what your dream is, be it flyfishing, skiing, sailing, building surf boards, etc. Being able to pursue your dream is what I find important. I thought about becoming a guide after I retired from the Air Force many years ago, but then had second thoughts after talking to guides and seeing what they had to put up with as far as the clients they had to put up with, the hours, and the fact that the guides don't usually get to fish. I honesty didn't see myself as vicariously fishing through clients, and it seemed to me if I made a passion into a job, it probably wouldn't remain a passion very long.

Now I get to fish when I want, ski when I want, and I have time to smell the roses. The film clip did make me think though, and I liked the music that accompanied it.

Jimbo,
Hope your Dad's doing well, and I can see where you'd wonder about what could've been, but again, it appears you get to fish quite a lot and still get those dream trips up North. Not bad!
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Return to General Fly Fishing