REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

UPDATE!!!!! Forest Service Seeks input re Upper Kern River

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

UPDATE!!!!! Forest Service Seeks input re Upper Kern River

Postby Fishfreak911 » February 2nd, 2014, 1:59 am

Please at least read the bullet points below. This is a GOOD THING!!!!! I for one, am excited! So apparently, the FS heard me, and plenty of others LOUD and CLEAR. :bananadance:

Kernville, CA - January 31, 2014 - For Immediate Release - The Kern River Ranger District (KRRD) of the Sequoia National Forest is seeking public comments regarding its plans to improve the river corridor and quality of recreation along the Upper Kern River. In response to growing issues of trash and other habitat degradation, the KRRD is considering the following actions:

• Restricting camping to existing developed (fee) campgrounds and designated dispersed (free) campsites within the high-use recreation corridor. Areas between the designated campsites will be managed for day use only. This corridor includes the area from Riverkern to the north side of the Johnsondale Bridge, and from the eastern edge of the Kern River to 1,000 feet east of Mountain 99.
• Converting Halfway and Thunderbird designated-dispersed campsites to developed, group campgrounds. A total of approximately nine group campsites, accommodating from 12 people up to 50 people, would be provided. Fees would be charged based on site capacity; and each group campsite would include picnic tables and fire-rings. Portable restrooms and trash service would also be provided. Water would not be available. Group campsites would be managed by concessionaire, and available for reservation through the National Recreation Reservation Service.
• Installing metal posts along boundaries of designated dispersed campsites to delineate areas open to camping.
With these actions, the KRRD will move to restore public health and safety along the river, safeguard the water quality, and protect the river’s outstandingly remarkable values for current and future generations.

The KRRD will continue to collect any public comments regarding this proposal until Friday, February 14, 2014. Comments can be sent via email to KRRD Recreation Officer Tricia Maki at triciamaki@fs.fed.us, or in writing to: Kern River Ranger District, P.O. Box 9, Kernville, CA 93238

The Kern River is a popular recreation tourist destination. It offers world-class whitewater rafting and kayaking. It also provides excellent opportunities for camping, fishing, and hiking; and it serves as a gateway to the Giant Sequoia National Monument.

Currently, visitors are allowed to camp anywhere within the river corridor unless the area is posted otherwise. The only restriction to dispersed camping has been a setback of 25 feet from the river’s edge. A significant increase in use throughout the area has resulted in resource damage from campers illegally clearing ground-cover and cutting trees and shrubs. The scenic quality of the Kern has suffered from trash, toilet paper, and human waste being left frequently between the river and highway. Overcrowding, congested parking, and the creation and expansion of camping and parking areas by visitors have also diminished the Wild and Scenic River values and overall recreation experience. Your input regarding the actions being proposed to alleviate these issues is sincerely appreciated.
(via US Forest Service)
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Re: UPDATE!!!!! Forest Service Seeks input re Upper Kern Riv

Postby John Harper » February 2nd, 2014, 7:34 am

Greg,

I totally agree, it's at least a step in the right direction. Hopefully there will be strong show of authority as this gets implemented. Someone posted the same info in the other section (Creeks and rivers) yesterday. Good to hear that our input has some results.

John
John Harper

Postby midger » February 4th, 2014, 5:25 pm

It looks good on paper, but they've been kicking around "solutions" for the past decade and without teeth and enforcement, I'm skeptical any great changes in area/ river cooridor cleanliness will occur. I hope I'm proven wrong. I pick up a lot of trash in the areas I fish, but I refuse to pick up other folks shiiite.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby WadeK » February 4th, 2014, 5:42 pm

Did I miss something? I read here that they are CONSIDERING these things, not IMPLEMENTING them. So I'm not seeing cause for :bananadance: just yet. Sorry to be the wet blanket thrown over the spark, but until I see :FIRE: , I'm not breaking out the marshmallows for 'smores.
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby RiverRat » February 4th, 2014, 9:09 pm

WadeK wrote:Did I miss something? I read here that they are CONSIDERING these things, not IMPLEMENTING them. So I'm not seeing cause for :bananadance: just yet. Sorry to be the wet blanket thrown over the spark, but until I see :FIRE: , I'm not breaking out the marshmallows for 'smores.

They are way past the considering stage....

shane
RiverRat

Return to General Fly Fishing