REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Is the Site Slowing Down?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Is the Site Slowing Down?

Postby Ants » February 4th, 2014, 8:36 am

Gee,
I have been fishing with a little catching along with it.

The household chores suddenly became a hot topic, like a full-time job. So, a trout of two or even a sucker on the line in local Kern waters is simply the therapy as needed.

Ants
Ants

Postby WadeK » February 4th, 2014, 9:45 am

Between not having a decent camera, not enough water to spread around, and having a few of my more sensitive spots get inundated with too many bait chucking trash dumpers, I've been reluctant to post much about my trips. I don't post specific locations, but even saying the Big Ditch means I'm going to see X amount more fisherman and trash at the Aquaduct, or wherever, in general if I say things went well. The lack of water is going to make all of this even worse this year. If 4 of my favorite ponds have gone dry or close enough, I can figure the next guy's 4 best ponds have dried up too, so we'll both have to move to the next best water and are 8 times as likely to meet, or something like that.
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby WanderingBlues » February 4th, 2014, 10:32 am

Good stuff thus far. I hear you guys on photobucket. I actually went to the paid level to handle the storage. We checked into straight up photo loading and it would be pricey to handle. Bloody Decks does it, but they have a lot of paid advertisers underwriting the cost.

Lack of water is real. Too real. I've hit my local perhaps 6 times in the last year. That used to happen in 3 weeks. It's critically bad. I don't fault anyone for slowing down on that issue.

Activity.... I'm all about meet ups and the like. We are at our best when a gathering happens. That being said, let's get something going. I'm checking with the boss for something on March 6-9th.

Keep em coming.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby dray » February 4th, 2014, 1:46 pm

For me it's been the lack of water at my local spots and the fear of stressing out what's left of the wild trout residents. I'm not certain if it's a site slow down or just the seasonal conditions compared to years past. Consequently, my fishing has taken a backseat to other projects around the house on the weekends. I can post a report on my lawn mowing and pool cleaning, but somehow that just doesn't fit the bill, lol..

Seriously, it's maddening to think how bad it has been over the last year. The times I did get out were few and far between and not worthy of a TR. Places that held deep pools and several fish are now completely dry and devoid of life.

Maybe I need to take a tip from Curtis and TreeCatcher and do the marathon run up and back to feed the addiction :bananadance: .
dray

Postby midger » February 4th, 2014, 5:43 pm

All the flyfishing sites I frequent have slowed down the past couple of years with some going comatose, like Westfly's Idaho board. It may be a combination of folks not fishing as much, not posting as often, or just gravitating to other hobbies. I still fish as much as I ever have, but a lot of times I don't bother posting because if you've seen one small trout, you've seen them all, and most folks on here know what the locals look like by now.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby tree catcher » February 4th, 2014, 8:33 pm

For me its been the lack of water in our local mountains. Two years ago I was going just about every weekend. With the water that we have out here, I was able to hit up a different water every weekend and never fish the same water twice in a month. Now I still don't dare to try it, I keep hoping for rain so our little friends will make it through the summer. Until then I will continue to make the day trips up to the big reedy and have some fun...Anytime anyone want's to go for a suicide run, just PM me and if I can go, its fish on, but I will have to stop at the local smoked meat shop and grab some breakfast!!!
Also another group run or camping trip to the Lower O sounds great to me. For those that have missed it in the past, Jim does a great breakfast and the pot luck dinner is always great!! Hmm reminds me that we need to bring a better raccoon trap up next time :)
tree catcher

Postby teejay » February 4th, 2014, 9:32 pm

My last trip report had over a hundred views but no responses. Not worth the time and trouble putting together a report. Still getting out though and finding fishable local creeks. Perhaps though it’s as Midger mentioned ,“if you’ve seen one small trout, you’ve seen them all, and most folks on here know what the locals look like by now”.
teejay

Postby Papasequoia » February 4th, 2014, 10:42 pm

teejay wrote:My last trip report had over a hundred views but no responses. Not worth the time and trouble putting together a report.

My apologies, I somehow missed that one. I do try and post to most TRs because I know how much time goes into getting one together and it is annoying when few (or in your case, any) people respond to it. I did like those first couple of pics because they remind me of New England where I grew up - the stream itself, the hardwoods, the colors - very nice.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby WanderingBlues » February 5th, 2014, 6:06 am

teejay wrote:My last trip report had over a hundred views but no responses. Not worth the time and trouble putting together a report. Still getting out though and finding fishable local creeks. Perhaps though it’s as Midger mentioned ,“if you’ve seen one small trout, you’ve seen them all, and most folks on here know what the locals look like by now”.

That was a good TR, Teejay. I missed it as well due to family stuff. Keep it going, bro. It's good stuff.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby fly addict » February 5th, 2014, 9:14 am

Sometimes I read a TR or other post and don’t have time to post a response at that time. Then I forget about it thinking I already did respond when I really didn’t. I guess that comes with getting old or something. Anyway I don’t always check out the forum as much as I have in the past. Maybe a few Hooters Girls could liven up the place…
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby BobK » February 5th, 2014, 11:28 am

I'll reply to those any day......NICE..... Seriously, I don't carry a camera locally. I fish very often between Jan and Sept but unless it is a special trip, place or event, everybody has heard/seen the same old thing/place over and over again. + 39 vehicles on Sat. 2/2/14 in the 1st 2 miles of the Wild trout area. The serious members can PM or Email me any time for info.
BobK

Postby lucfish » February 5th, 2014, 1:46 pm

NorcalBob wrote:I've noticed this also and I just had a PM exchange with a highly respected FFA member discussing this issue and we both independently have reached the same conclusion. With the advent of instant internet communications, it serves no significant benefit to the OP (except for bragging rights!) to frequently post their fishing reports on the web. I have cut back significantly on my report posting (I'm still fishing more than ever) and so has the other individual. For now, I'm only going to post reports on significant exotic trips. As usual, YMMV!

WadeK wrote:Between not having a decent camera, not enough water to spread around, and having a few of my more sensitive spots get inundated with too many bait chucking trash dumpers, I've been reluctant to post much about my trips. I don't post specific locations, but even saying the Big Ditch means I'm going to see X amount more fisherman and trash at the Aquaduct, or wherever, in general if I say things went well. The lack of water is going to make all of this even worse this year. If 4 of my favorite ponds have gone dry or close enough, I can figure the next guy's 4 best ponds have dried up too, so we'll both have to move to the next best water and are 8 times as likely to meet, or something like that.

These two responses pretty much sums it up for me. Loose lips sink ships. Too many reports that show too much information on an open website. I wasn't that long ago I would fish some locals and stillwaters and have the place to myself. That's pretty much over. Add to that the pitiful amount of water and I can see why there are less reports. We can always interact here not just with fishing reports but with new idea's on how we're fishing not just where we're fishing. I really like this site, it's usually the first thing I check when I get to work but we have to constantly be vigilant on how we pesent our reports. Bob K made a good point, 39 vehicles in a two mile stretch. I would struggle with that, probably just turn around. That place doesn't need any more props.
lucfish

Postby flocktothewall » February 5th, 2014, 4:00 pm

I still frequent the site, I just have not fished in like 2 months. I built a rod in the quiet time, will post it soon. As far as posting trip reports, I myself have slowed down I think only primarily for the sake that a 6" fish locally looks strikingly similar to the next 6" fish. I stopped taking my camera, its just a lot of extra weight. I find that no pics = not as good a post.

I enjoy reading other posts, hope soon enough water falls from the sky to add to our situation. I hope to get out and fish my new rod soon.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby Papasequoia » February 5th, 2014, 6:11 pm

Judging by the pictures I think Mark needs to be reminded what a "hooter" is. :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby stanbery » February 5th, 2014, 6:44 pm

Papasequoia wrote:Judging by the pictures I think Mark needs to be reminded what a "hooter" is. :lol:

He did turn 60 the other day so Old timers could have kicked in.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing