REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Is the Site Slowing Down?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Postby WanderingBlues » February 2nd, 2014, 1:40 pm

Out of curiosity, does it seem like there's less posting and conversation? We have more members (though a few seem to be bots and trolls that need to be thinned), but it seems like there's less activity. Maybe it's seasonal dysfunction, or the lack of water.

If you have any input, or any suggestions to keep the community lively, chime in. We want this to be more than anonymous posters, and to keep working towards a community of dedicated addicts.

Curtis
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: Is the Site Slowing Down?

Postby RichardCullip » February 2nd, 2014, 1:49 pm

It does seem to be going thru a slow time. Hopefully it will get back to it's livelier self again real soon.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Benny » February 2nd, 2014, 2:22 pm

Curtis, I'm still here almost ever day. My lack of fly fishing is definitely contributing to less participation.

More get togethers would definitely increase intrest in my opinion. Participating in local events sponsored by our local fly shops is very good as well. It brings customers to the fly shops plus it's an excuse to hang out with the guys for awhile. Let's get together and have a Pints and Flies tying get together every now and then, we can share ideas and drink a few beers.

Another thing to consider is the water levels are ridiculously low to non existent in some of the local watersheds. When this happens it's time to start targeting the big pond. The saltwater offers tons of options as far as locations and it's not 4-5 hours away from most people. Let's get together and hit the surf like we did beforehand. It's lots of fun when we have a good group of guys waving rods along the beach. Plus it gives the guys to report back on forum.

I still have some fly boxes to give away, plus the beginners fly box that I have not yet given away... :doh: I haven't forgot guys.

Plenty of ideas out there, just need some participants.
Benny

Postby briansII » February 3rd, 2014, 9:48 am

Yes, the forum seems quiet. I assume it's related to time of year, and low water conditions across the state. I'm still getting out every free weekend I have, but my results are nadda. :sad: I'll post something today.

briansII
briansII

Postby beachbum » February 3rd, 2014, 10:03 am

It's a slow time of year, but things should be picking up soon. I haven't posted much, but if the fishing picks up a bit, will do my best to post a report.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby silverlaker » February 3rd, 2014, 11:00 am

I'll second Benny's ideas of getting together for beer and tying / hitting the surf - or any other event.
Beyond low water and time of year, it seems the folks may just have less time as the economy gets stronger. A few local events could be fun though.
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby Papasequoia » February 3rd, 2014, 12:43 pm

I've seen several people from the forum post their trips on Facebook but not here. I'm not sure why, but probably it has something to do with it being so much easier to throw up some pictures there rather than dealing with Photobucket here. However, I've also noticed a slowdown in several of the other forums I read over the last year or two.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby NorcalBob » February 3rd, 2014, 1:37 pm

I've noticed this also and I just had a PM exchange with a highly respected FFA member discussing this issue and we both independently have reached the same conclusion. With the advent of instant internet communications, it serves no significant benefit to the OP (except for bragging rights!) to frequently post their fishing reports on the web. I have cut back significantly on my report posting (I'm still fishing more than ever) and so has the other individual. For now, I'm only going to post reports on significant exotic trips. As usual, YMMV!
NorcalBob

Postby tenandtwo » February 3rd, 2014, 3:41 pm

2100 members on this board... If we each go fishing only once, take some photos,and write just one report in 2014 that would be 6-7 new reports each day. I can't make anyone do anything, and I realize like half the members are inactive but should still have 2-3 a day if everyone reports just one trip a year. That's in addition to all the other discussion. Just breaking it down.
tenandtwo

Postby Wildman » February 3rd, 2014, 4:20 pm

All good comments. I am as guilty as anyone......I've made my share of trip reports but have slowed down. Getting into Photoshop and doing the montages I like are time consuming but is fun when it's all said and done.

My problem is that the last two trips I've taken have seen but one small fish.

I'll go through some of last years stuff and see what I can put together.

I think the activities thing is a good deal. I've enjoyed the casting games and tying in the evening. A group hug on O at PVR is another special way to put faces to names.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Sasha » February 3rd, 2014, 6:16 pm

NorcalBob wrote:I've noticed this also and I just had a PM exchange with a highly respected FFA member discussing this issue and we both independently have reached the same conclusion. With the advent of instant internet communications, it serves no significant benefit to the OP (except for bragging rights!) to frequently post their fishing reports on the web. I have cut back significantly on my report posting (I'm still fishing more than ever) and so has the other individual. For now, I'm only going to post reports on significant exotic trips. As usual, YMMV!

This sums up my feelings as well. I still fish but I just don't post reports like I once did when I was a lot newer to the hobby. I still post reports but I have cut back to posting one a month or every other month. When I was posting weekly reports; it seemed like my photobucket was getting maxed and there were really not that many replies.
Sasha

Postby darrin terry » February 3rd, 2014, 9:02 pm

briansII wrote:Yes, the forum seems quiet. I assume it's related to time of year, and low water conditions across the state. I'm still getting out every free weekend I have, but my results are nadda. :sad: I'll post something today.

briansII

This. Not much water out there for many I think.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Dry Fly Rie » February 3rd, 2014, 9:47 pm

Some good thoughts by everyone on this topic. For me personally, I just haven't had any time to devote to fishing (let alone posting). I haven't even touched a rod in almost 2 months, and it's starting to wear on me. Just too busy with family and work stuff to get out and fish. Hopefully that changes soon, but with baseball season fast approaching (I'm a high school coach), it's looking like it could be a bit longer until I play with some fish.

I've only made it to one forum gathering (Volcano Party) since joining the fray, but it was an awesome time spent with great people. I'd love to make another group event whenever the opportunity presents itself.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby 1mocast » February 3rd, 2014, 10:34 pm

Guilty as charged. I am in that class of working too much. I should not complain, but this past year has been the lowest number of days on the water in at least 10 years. I don't see work freeing up soon. :cry:
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Fishfreak911 » February 4th, 2014, 1:04 am

Yea, great comments here. I have to say, it really is a PIA to post using Photobucket, and there bandwidth limits. I don't remember this being an issue before they updated their site to the "New & Horrible" site that doesn't allow you to grab a whole folder and paste [img] code. I complained many times to no avail. This is my biggest issue TBH. Takes forever to make a decent post like I like to do.
The no water is def. putting the brakes on thing too. if the water was high, their would simply be a lot more interactions both on the water and here because of these shared outings.
I still love you guys! :bananadance:
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing