REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Definition Of Insanity

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Definition Of Insanity

Postby briansII » February 3rd, 2014, 12:47 pm

"doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

If steelhead are a fish of a thousand casts, I'm perpetually stuck on cast #999. Catching a steel fish "on the swing" is not suppose to be easy, but I'm wondering if it's even possible. I see pictures of swung fish, but I'm beginning to think they are lying(not really)about their methods. I'm sure the psych wards have a special wing, just for spey guys.

It's not light yet, and I'm stumbling down a cobble strewn path. My body and brain are still back in the warm hotel bed. I look up to see if I need to make a right, but I'm not even half way there. It's warmer this morning, and the sky is overcast. No cars in the parking lot, so I'm in no hurry to stake my claim to The Spot.

The right turn is nothing more than a single track of beaten down cobble. There are dozens of right turns, but I seem to find the right one this morning. As I crest a berm, I suddenly find focus. Today, I'm going to swing knowing my fly is being seen by many fish. Fish like I would if I was nymphing for trout. Fish with confidence! I watch the same muskrat I saw yesterday, sneak up a riffle.

My first cast is barely long enough to have the intermediate skagit head out of the tip top. I'm going to dissect this run, and cover all fishy water. Like every morning, my casting starts off well, but at some point the wheels fall off. I go skidding off into a spey casting black hole. Takes a while, but it eventually comes back and I'm back to covering water. Every swing has possibilities, and I am focused on a take....

I'm making my second pass through the run, with a different line, tip and 3rd fly change. I'm liking this combo. The fly is a traditional steelhead pattern tied on a up turn eye, salmon hook. It's much smaller than the stinger hook, marabou, rabbit strip abominations I was swinging earlier. I'm booming out casts, and feeling fishy.....

Third pass, different line, and 5th fly change. I'm working on my single spey, with a short belly(45') line. I really need to practice this cast more before I try and fish with it......but what the heck. I might as well practice. All morning I've had the run to myself. Wind is up now, and I zing an Undertaker past my ear.

Walking back to the car I wonder why I do this. I don't expect a fish on every trip. Heck, I don't even expect a fish, period........but it sure would be nice. A pending, emergency fishing closure of the river may save what little sanity I have left.

If I had fish * to post, you bet I would. All I got is a blurry sunrise.

briansII
briansII

Re: Definition Of Insanity

Postby NorcalBob » February 3rd, 2014, 1:24 pm

With all due respect to "swingers", catching a winter steelhead on the swing is about the lowest probability of actually catching an adult steelie you can try whilst fishing (except maybe fishing with no hook!). Even a "spey snob" guide I know doesn't do it during the winter! But, hang in there Brian, it can be done, it's just mighty difficult. Personally, I love the rhythm and elegance of spey casting, but when I pick up my spey rod in winter I pretty much know I'm not getting an adult steelie! :doh:
NorcalBob

Postby silverlaker » February 3rd, 2014, 1:25 pm

I sit here in my office, wishing I was fishing. At least you're out there - even if does just feel like practice. What are we talking about here, practice? Practice?

Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby lucfish » February 3rd, 2014, 3:36 pm

Yea, you're insane. While I admire your tenacity, I would need a pull after a couple of trips. Your making sight fishing for Tarpon look like a walk in the park. Ahhh but at least you were out.
lucfish

Postby WanderingBlues » February 3rd, 2014, 3:40 pm

Been there, done that. Still better than being at home dreaming about it!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby briansII » February 3rd, 2014, 4:12 pm

Reading it again, I can see it reads like a rant, or that I'm not enjoying myself. As Bob mentioned, I enjoy the "art" of spey casting, even though my casting more resembles a child's scribble than art. I also like a challenge......admittedly, in a self defeating way. I choose to be there. Or maybe it's those voices in my head that demand it.

I also need a tug once in a while, and that's why I snuck away for a 1/2 day, and slummed for trout. Big, wild, trout in crystal clear water. It was a kick in the pants. But those voices had me back out the next morning chasing chrome with a 12' 6" rod. It will happen.

When it's my turn.

briansII
briansII

Postby Sasha » February 3rd, 2014, 7:15 pm

Time to bobber up :bananadance:
Sasha

Postby dray » February 4th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Good for you for getting out, hang in there...
dray

Postby Richard W T » February 5th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Hang in there briansII! The fish will come and in the mean time you'll get better!
"How do you help that son of a *?"
"By taking him fishing."
-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
Richard W T

Postby midger » February 5th, 2014, 3:12 pm

Which rivers are you fishing? (I don't really want to know, but rather, think about which California rivers are known for increased swinging odds). That also has a lot to do with success. I watched my buddy bring up quite a few on the swing in early November on the Klamath, but this time of year, they're a lot harder to bring up--BUT they are still there. I know it can be done. Hang in there.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » February 5th, 2014, 8:39 pm

midger wrote:Which rivers are you fishing? (I don't really want to know, but rather, think about which California rivers are known for increased swinging odds). That also has a lot to do with success. I watched my buddy bring up quite a few on the swing in early November on the Klamath, but this time of year, they're a lot harder to bring up--BUT they are still there. I know it can be done. Hang in there.

It's a river within a 3 1/2 hr drive of me. The T & K would give me way better odds, but it takes me a whole day plus, going and coming home. For a weekend warrior, that's not worth it. In another life, I used to make that trip, but I would leave on a Thursday. Not an option for me now. :|

I got word today, that CDFW is going to close the upper section of the river I've been swinging. That won't stop me from fishing the lower river, but I might change tactics and chase something else.

briansII
briansII

Postby briansII » April 14th, 2014, 4:18 pm

UPDATE

All my hours of driving, tying, wading, casting, eating, and drinking have finally paid off. I landed my 1st steelhead, swinging with a spey rod. A picture you ask. There was no need. I have every glorious 10" of her/his/it's length embedded in my memory. A picture seemed frivolous.

I can now give up on spey fishing, and move on to more productive, fulfilling things. Like macrame. :bananadance:

briansII
briansII

Postby midger » April 14th, 2014, 5:12 pm

:funnyup: :funnyup:

Now that you've broken the curse and brought one in, you might as well get rid of all the rods you use for steelhead and start chasing bones, tarpon, redfish, etc. No need to throw the steelheading stuff away--just PM me and I'll send an address. Heck, I'll even pay postage. :twisted: :twisted:

Congrats though. This tells you you're getting the fly where it needs to be. Maybe this little guy will remember you in 2-4 years or whenever it returns all grown up.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Jimbo Roberts » April 14th, 2014, 6:42 pm

May I suggest hiring a guide or bribing someone who is successful into mentoring you. Steelheading is not impossible, but there are some basics beyond Trout fishing.
I know many Steelheaders that had a flat learning curve until they got help from successful fishermen. The most important thing is to be fishing where the Steelhead are holding. If you're going to land the BIG BOYS you have to know where they are and how far the main numbers of Steelhead have moved upstream. Get in the game, heck your chips are already in the pot you just have to wait for something to call.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby briansII » April 14th, 2014, 9:13 pm

Update #2

After doing some research, I decided to can the macrame idea. Hanging potted plants with this stuff is just wrong.

So after much thought, I decided to pursue permit with a Tenkara rod. :bananadance: Hopefully a guide(thanks Jimbo) will take my spey gear in trade(sorry Midger)for days on the water.

Steelhead For Dummies

By the way, last weekend he set a new spey cast(15' rod standing in water)distance record of 198' :bravo;

briansII
briansII

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing