REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

about California Droughts..

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

about California Droughts..

Postby Flyjunkie » February 6th, 2014, 9:26 am

Thought I am of the mindset we'll get a late winter , one of those "Miracle March" slams of sizable storms that save us from even worse conditions then last year. One should still be aware of the history of droughts in California.

This is an eye opener indeed.....

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/19/science/severe-ancient-droughts-a-warning-to-california.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Re: about California Droughts..

Postby WanderingBlues » February 6th, 2014, 9:57 am

All true. I've visited several Fremont Culture ruins, Mesa Verde, and other indigenous sites. The tree ring records and other evidence clearly point to long term drought of 50+ years in the Southwest- thus leading to the demise of those cultures.

Cali better start building desalinization plants and figure out how to cut way the * back on it's misuse of water.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby silverlaker » February 6th, 2014, 10:29 am

Definitely an eye opener - Thanks for posting it!
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby midger » February 6th, 2014, 10:50 am

Interesting read and not all that surprising when you look at the Earth's history over time. Thanks for posting it.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Sparky of SoCal » February 6th, 2014, 12:20 pm

Great find,the growing of grapes in England at one time has always been my go to question about man and global warming.
Sparky of SoCal

Postby Benny » February 6th, 2014, 12:39 pm

Nice climatology information, it's quite dated though from 1994. I've linked a more recent study/news along the same lines and actually has a familiar name. California Droughts
Benny

Postby NorcalBob » February 6th, 2014, 1:47 pm

Most of CAL is a desert. Simple fact. If we don't start acting like we live in a desert and use what little water we actually do have wisely, well, the results will be life changing. The fact is the last 100 years has been one of the wetter time periods that CAL has undergone. Scary stuff, but you can't beat mother nature (even though we think we can).
NorcalBob

Return to General Fly Fishing