REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Show Report

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Show Report

Postby briansII » February 23rd, 2014, 11:23 pm

I was able to make The Fly Fishing Show this year, and I'm glade I did.

We got there Sat morning, before the crowd showed up. Tier's Row hadn't filled up yet.

Wasn't long before all the seats were filled along 2 walls of the main building.

My daughter and I tried to methodically go down each isle and check everything out. That lasted for one pass down one isle, then we went into wander mode. As the day wore on, the isles would fill up, and the boothes selling mechandise were getting tougher and tougher to negotiate.

We took a break from wandering the main building and attended a seminar for Pyramid Lake. I'm planning on fishing there this year, and it was very informative to a newbie like me. Looks like a blast, and my daughter enjoyed it too....she wants to go too. :P I think they had 6....maybe 8, simultaneous seminars going each hour for most of the day. Unlike past years, there was enough space between each seminar, that they did not interfere with each other.

After a lunch break, we headed back into the main building. Lots of the big players like Sage, Rio and Hardy were there. Noticeably absent was Winston, and I don't believe I saw Scott either.

Some drool worthy stuff.

And something different.

Enough shops/companies selling stuff to keep the gearwh@res happy.

Oh, and more than a few places to buy your bamboo tomato stakes.

I was lucky to have my daughter with me. She kept me in check, and we left relatively early. Had I been on my own, I would've spent two full days at the show, and my wallet would been much thinner.

My overall impression of the show was positive. I didn't think it was packed with people, but I do feel it was very well attended. I think having so many seminars running in separate buildings during the day, kept the main building manageable. I'd like to see the vendor to lodge ratio adjust more to the gear hoarders, but it was nice to see no vacant spots on the floor. From what I could tell, some shops were doing a brisk business. Another cool thing to see were kids at the casting ponds.

On the way out, I tried to take a picture of the parking lot, but it does not show how many cars were there. 20 rows plus(?) at the county fairgrounds is a decent amount.

A few parting shots

So much more than I took pictures of.

briansII
briansII

Re: Show Report

Postby Benny » February 23rd, 2014, 11:57 pm

Thanks for sharing Brian, looks like a good turnout with lots of offerings.
Benny

Postby NorcalBob » February 24th, 2014, 7:44 am

I'm glad you went because I did not! Too much whoring and pimping going on for me! I don't like crowds either! :booty:
NorcalBob

Postby Bernard » February 24th, 2014, 9:19 am

Thanks for sharing. Looks like there was something for everybody.
B.
Bernard

Postby lucfish » February 24th, 2014, 10:09 am

Looks like you had a good time with your daughter. Good thing she kept you in check. I wish they had one down here that was decent.
lucfish

Postby WanderingBlues » February 24th, 2014, 10:27 am

Droooooolllllll.... Thanks for that!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby RiverRat » February 24th, 2014, 11:19 am

Time to fess up...what'd you come with?

shane
RiverRat

Postby briansII » February 24th, 2014, 11:27 am

NorcalBob wrote:I'm glad you went because I did not! Too much whoring and pimping going on for me! I don't like crowds either! :booty:

Curmudgeon. :booty: :P :P Besides that, there is no need for you to go to a show. You have more gear than many of the vendors, and have fished most of the places in the presentations.

Bernard wrote:Thanks for sharing. Looks like there was something for everybody.
B.

Pretty much. Some saltwater stuff, spey, Tenkara, and lots of trout gear. I was hoping to cast a few spey rods(Burkies), but not much room for that at the casting ponds. Lots of flies for cheap. More bamboo at this show than any others I've attended. I found what might be the last remaining US inventory of CND spey lines. Some cool "vintage" stuff. If I had more time to browse, who knows what other stuff I could have found. Wish I had more time, but I'll plan two days at the next show.

Indoor casting pond.

Puglisi had a big booth

Because of time constraints, I spent all of about 2 minutes looking at tier's row.

Never heard of this company, but they are selling their own rods and reels.

I have more pictures, but Photobucket is a PIA to use these days. :fireangry: :fireangry:

briansII
briansII

Postby briansII » February 24th, 2014, 1:03 pm

RiverRat wrote:Time to fess up...what'd you come with?

shane

What happens in Pleasanton, stays in Pleasanton. ;) ;)

I actually showed restraint.....it could've gotten ugly. :twisted: Bought a Simms jacket, 3 spey lines, a head wallet, and a gigantic lady amherst feather. My daughter bought some flies. I looked for wading boots, but it always seemed too crowded. Jonesing for a reel, but never pulled the trigger. I'll add, there were some good deals at the show, but I didn't see any super deals. I appreciated talking with people, and buying in person. Much more satisfying than clicking buttons and ordering online. Kudos to the VERY nice lady at Snake River Outfitters. Absolute joy to deal with, and brought a huge smile to my daughter's face when she gave her a fish necklace. I'll be ordering from them in the future.

briansII
briansII

Postby 8NoFish » February 25th, 2014, 9:25 pm

Thanks for sharing, Brians. Too bad the Pasadena show bit the dust. I attended Pasadena a couple of times and both times it was a little sad - sparsely attended by both fishermen and exhibitors. On the bright side though, I once had the chance to chat with AK Best, one-on-one, for 20 or 30 minutes. It was also a chance to catch up with old friends Mas Okui (on tyer's row) and Darrell Kunitomi (Flykuni) at the Fishermans Spot booth.
8nofish

http://www.krop.com/ghiramatsu/ illustration gallery
http://ghiramatsu.carbonmade.com/ graphic design / illustration / Photography
http://ghgraphicfish.blogspot.com/ blog
8NoFish

Postby meb » February 27th, 2014, 8:17 am

Great report. I used to get overwhelmed at the Pasadena show, but I always came away with some new information. Last time I was there I watched Simon G cast spey rods and that is what got me hooked on two handed rods. Pyramid sounds like a good idea. It's great that your daughter is enthused.

MB
meb

Return to General Fly Fishing