REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Lost and Found

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Lost and Found

Postby stimbo » February 26th, 2014, 9:12 am

We've had a couple of Lost and Found postings that have ended happily thanks to the honesty and integrity of the fly fishing community. Now here's a photo from a not so happy ending.... a local guide in Mammoth had a couple of his rods/reels peel off his car and onto US 395. After a semi-truck ran them over, here were the remains.... bummer, bummer. Remember to make sure you have secured everything tightly and all hatches have been battened down.

stimbo

Re: Lost and Found

Postby WanderingBlues » February 26th, 2014, 9:14 am

Dude....... Sadly, I have done similar involving brand new boots. Found one. Never found the other.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby lucfish » February 26th, 2014, 9:17 am

That happened to Brad Mcfall and I coming back from the EW about 7 years ago. Two sage rods and reels destroyed. Never trusted the magnets again.
lucfish

Postby midger » February 26th, 2014, 9:21 am

Been there myself. Lost a rod off the roof of my Landcruiser leaving the Madison headed back to West Yellowstone. Fortunately I saw it bounce on the road in my rear view mirror. Reel was ruined but rod remarkably was unscathed. It wasn't near the mess that your friend experienced. That's a tough loss.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby stimbo » February 26th, 2014, 9:32 am

lucfish wrote:That happened to Brad Mcfall and I coming back from the EW about 7 years ago. Two sage rods and reels destroyed. Never trusted the magnets again.

Yikes! I have the magnets....
stimbo

Postby silverlaker » February 26th, 2014, 11:39 am

Ouch - that photo looks pretty rough. I have magnets too - often have 'em on when going up and down the 395 around mammoth. Ive never had problems - but if it is windy at all I pull over and stick the rods in the truck. All magnets are not created equal either. Knock on wood, Ive had good luck with mine. Anybody use the suction type? I wonder how well they work.
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby fly addict » February 26th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Dear Sage;
You’ll never guess what happened to my rods. Please repair them as soon as you can…
:doh: :doh: :doh:
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby lucfish » February 26th, 2014, 2:53 pm

fly addict wrote:Dear Sage;
You’ll never guess what happened to my rods. Please repair them as soon as you can…

That's basically what happened though. He sent them in to Sage and they took care of him. Doesn't hurt he's a guide.
lucfish

Postby Benny » February 26th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Ouch... What colorful mess!
Benny

Postby acorad » February 26th, 2014, 3:46 pm

I was looking at rod carriers on some cars this past weekend. I think I would trust them while driving from fishing hole to hole on a river, but I don't think I'd trust them at any kind of speed. Are they advertised as being OK for freeway use?

Andy
acorad

Postby WadeK » February 26th, 2014, 4:32 pm

The 1 I saw had a disclaimer that it wasn't reccomended for speeds in excess of 15 mph and that they weren't responsible for....anything.
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby stimbo » February 26th, 2014, 4:45 pm

acorad wrote:I was looking at rod carriers on some cars this past weekend. I think I would trust them while driving from fishing hole to hole on a river, but I don't think I'd trust them at any kind of speed. Are they advertised as being OK for freeway use?

Andy

I have used my rod racks with magnetic feet at freeway speeds going from Crowley to Bishop with no problems. However, reading the posts above, I may rethink this. They are really convenient though getting from one fishing spot to the next. We've even used them for our spey rods on the Trinity River cruising up and down 299. I may retrofit an additional bungee that would serve as an additional safety strap for peace of mind.
stimbo

Postby midger » February 26th, 2014, 5:33 pm

lucfish wrote:

That's basically what happened though. He sent them in to Sage and they took care of him. Doesn't hurt he's a guide.

If that's indeed what happened, then that helps to explain why those big name rod companies charge so much for the new rods. I wish they'd go back to covering acts of materials quality defects but not cover rods for owner errors. Maybe then we wouldn't be looking at $700+ for a new rod. Glad I'm pretty much all equipped so don't have to buy too many new rods (plus I found making them to be a pretty good alternative and much cheaper).
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby lucfish » February 26th, 2014, 6:53 pm

midger wrote:
lucfish wrote:

If that's indeed what happened, then that helps to explain why those big name rod companies charge so much for the new rods. I wish they'd go back to covering acts of materials quality defects but not cover rods for owner errors. Maybe then we wouldn't be looking at $700+ for a new rod. Glad I'm pretty much all equipped so don't have to buy too many new rods (plus I found making them to be a pretty good alternative and much cheaper).

That is what happened but I don't know if Sage would do that for everyone. He's a Simms and Sage factory product tester and I think he pays little or nothing for his waders, boots, rods and reels. He probably goes through 10 rods a year that get damaged through him or his clients. That's what it is when you provide all the gear and alot of the clients are lets just say inexperienced. All part of the game.
lucfish

Postby meb » February 27th, 2014, 8:10 am

That's a great picture. Never had that happen to rods, but I have lost five or six surfboards off the top of my cars over the years. Now I only buy vehicles that will fit a longboard inside.

I fish with a guide up in Oregon that uses ski racks to transport spey and single handed rods around, and it seems to work well, skis and rods being about the same thickness, plus it locks down.

MB
meb

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing