REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Lotsa rain!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Lotsa rain!

Postby midger » February 28th, 2014, 8:04 am

It's been raining hard since late last night--40 degrees up here so no snow yet. The snow would definitely be preferred as it allows for a slower runoff, but the rain should help flush some of the locals. Forecast is for 3-6 inches depending on which one you want to believe. Supposed to turn to snow later today/tonight. Two feet would be nice, eh?

Guess I'll just sit and :Pop: and see what develops. Tie a few flies, drink a few beers.......
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: Lotsa rain!

Postby lucfish » February 28th, 2014, 8:47 am

We've only recieved about a third of an inch so far at Canyon. I sure would like to see two inches as that is all it would take to fill up the lake and there would be enough water for the summer/fall. We'll see. Hope you guys get some of that white stuff too but anything is prefered to what we've seen. You retired types crack me up. Tie a few flies, drink a few beers, tie a few flies, drink a few beers etc, etc, etc.
lucfish

Postby midger » February 28th, 2014, 9:00 am

lucfish wrote: . You retired types crack me up. Tie a few flies, drink a few beers, tie a few flies, drink a few beers etc, etc, etc.

I prefer to think of myself as between jobs and able to pick and choose the ones I want to do. I still work, but on my terms. ;)
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Deaddrift Gregg » February 28th, 2014, 9:55 am

New 24hr record at my house 1.05 let it rain
Deaddrift Gregg

Postby BrownBear » February 28th, 2014, 11:10 am

Check the top of the page for current flows on the upper Kern. My wife and I were up briefly on Wednesday and it was 156 at the time. As of this writing it's 264. Not enough to get rid of all the sediment up there, but every bit helps. According to the weatherweenie on TV Bakersfield is in a rain shadow. Our rain gauge shows it, as we've only managed 1/10" in the last 24 hours.
BrownBear

Postby WanderingBlues » February 28th, 2014, 11:45 am

Complete flooding at work today. Love it!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby lucfish » February 28th, 2014, 12:07 pm

midger wrote:
lucfish wrote: . You retired types crack me up. Tie a few flies, drink a few beers, tie a few flies, drink a few beers etc, etc, etc.

I prefer to think of myself as between jobs and able to pick and choose the ones I want to do. I still work, but on my terms. ;)

That's funny. Question becomes how long between jobs?
lucfish

Postby midger » February 28th, 2014, 12:18 pm

lucfish wrote:
midger wrote:

That's funny. Question becomes how long between jobs?

Actually not that long. I generally do 1-2 small jobs every month, but today, not much construction is happening up here. Why? There's more water flowing down my street then there was in the local on Monday.

Here are a couple of shots of street water--I feel for the folks in Azuza and Glendora as I fear their flows will be mud:

midger

Postby darrin terry » February 28th, 2014, 1:01 pm

I've no idea how much we got last night, but it did not deliver much snow up high. I checked web cams at Shaver and Hume Lakes this morning and no snow. Hume is considerably more full than yesterday though. I did not get to bed last night until about 2 am. The rain started here around 1:30 am. It woke me up around 5:30 am and, this is no exaggeration, it sounded like someone was standing downstairs directing a water hose on my windows. When I woke up this morning, it was to bright, mostly clear, sunny skies. All cloudy again now.

Hume Lake Web Cam

Shaver Lake Web Cams

EDIT: Just as I clicked the submit button, a weather warning was broadcast for eastern Fresno Co.

Severe Thunderstorm Warning
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby briansII » February 28th, 2014, 1:01 pm

Are my eyes deceiving me. Is that water?!?!

If there ever was a time to be thankful for flooding, this year would be it. You guys down south sure do need it. The second wave of this latest system just hit us. Thunder, and it's coming down pretty hard right now. :P

briansII
briansII

Postby midger » February 28th, 2014, 5:03 pm

Rain just started turning to snow/hail and boy is it coming down. So far so good here as I fixed a couple of small leaks I discovered after the prelim storm Wednesday night. How's it going in other areas? We've received over an inch of rain since last night. :bananadance: :bananadance:

BTW maybe we can get WB to go down and check the flows after he gets off work. I suspect they'll be a bit higher then they were on Monday.
midger

Postby lucfish » February 28th, 2014, 6:40 pm

1.61 as of 5 pm. Halfway to my dream amount for this storm. I second getting WB to go check the locals, I'm going to stay inside tonight and put a coat of wax on the boat tomorrow. (In the garage of course!)
lucfish

Postby Papasequoia » February 28th, 2014, 6:57 pm

Plenty of rain up here in the desert - should help the spring wildflowers. I made the mistake of making my run to Lancaster today when there was a pause between the storms - big mistake. It was raining so hard around Mojave that I could barely see even slowed down to 40 mph and the wipers on high. I think I'll have a fire tonight, tie a few flies, drink a few beers. Oh wait, I'm not retired yet. :doh:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Wildman » February 28th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Just below Wrightwood where I live, we have had continuous rain with occasional major downpours. Our road in our little valley is dirt and is now impassable until we rent a tractor and fix it. Horses are standing in muck as our soil turns to snot with three drops of rain.

Our back yard sits up against a hill side and it flooded pretty good when the big storm hit

Six hours of shovel and hoe work, the water and mud have been pushed back. Funny how our dirt goes from fine dust to snot in a matter of minutes when water is applied.

Saw some video of Mill Creek and Forest Falls creek and they are running a flood stage and really moving the water through the drainage. Good for the resource.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby gabe » March 1st, 2014, 1:59 am

Jim sorry bout the muck. I'll be free in the last week of March if you need help on the property. just shoot me a message or drop me a call if anything.
gabe

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing