REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

DoubleHaul Ball March 22 2014 at the Long Beach Casting Club

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

DoubleHaul Ball March 22 2014 at the Long Beach Casting Club

Postby sschung » March 2nd, 2014, 1:02 am

This is the main informational event for anyone wanting to increase their abilities in surf fishing with a fly rod. We have over 200 years of experience with FFF certified Master Casters teaching casting a full sinking integrated fly line in the surf complicated with wind. The Masters are there to teach not only those who have never touched a fly rod, but also helping the advanced casters get even more out of their cast. On our round table panels we will have most of the best fly fishing surf gurus. Most of them started back when fly fishing the surf was a hair brain idea on our beaches. We will have at least a dozen fly tyers whipping up some of the best patterns for the surf as well as giving some highly valuable fly tying tips for your future surf bug. This is the best informational event in Southern California for anyone fly fishing the surf, or even thinking of fly fishing ~ Shane

sschung

Re: DoubleHaul Ball March 22 2014 at the Long Beach Casting

Postby fly addict » March 3rd, 2014, 3:29 pm

I’ll be there, helping others work on their Double haul. It is a real fun event and a great way to learn a few new tricks and ties. As for the rest of the members here, :ZZZ: ;)
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Bernard » March 21st, 2014, 5:40 am

I regret that I can't attend.
Last year's was great fun.
B.
Bernard

Postby sschung » March 21st, 2014, 11:36 am

Bernard you will be missed!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: We will see you on the sands of Rincon.

Shane
sschung

Postby sschung » March 21st, 2014, 11:37 am

Double Haul Ball SCHEDULE 2014
Long Beach Casting Club
This Saturday, March 22nd 9am to 4pm

FLY TYING: 9:00am – 12:00pm.
Dave Valadez, Peter Koga, Kevin Green, Shane Chung, Alex Cady

FLY TYING: 1:00am – 4:00pm.
Mike Centofani, Rich Kanner, Alex Ramirex, Tim Postel

PRESENTATIONS: 10:00 - 11am A Casters Nightmare! Staying in shape to avoid impingement, frozen shoulder & rotator cuff damage! informal talk/demo by Al Q

11:00- noon Knots & Tackle: Ken Lindsay / Al Q

1:00pm -2:00 pm Fly Surf Panel Q&A: moderator Al Q Panel: Shane Chung, Gary Bulla, Jon Nakano, Steve Piper, Jeff Priest

FLY CASTING: 9:00am – 10:00am. The Basics: Jeff Priest, John Van Derhoof, Jim Solomon, Michael Maloney Quick explanation of fundamentals with emphasis on reducing slack, stops and straight line path of travel. What are common errors – over rotation of wrist, starting cast with too much slack, windshield wiper, too much or too little power, too much rod arc for amount of line out, dumping backcast and wrong overhang. Explanation of what loop will do with wrong overhang (too little – too much). Style explanation – strengths and weaknesses and arm / shoulder protection.

10:00am – 12:00am. The Belgium/Oval and Double Haul; John Van Derhoof and Michael Maloney Quick explanation of fundamentals with emphasis on matching haul with casting hand, slack, and timing of release and length of haul. Belgium cast explanation. Divide into groups dependent upon amount of instructors present. Emphasis - on smooth short stroke with correct amount of haul and timing.

12:00 – 1:00pm. Lunch hosted by Wilderness FlyFishers (special guest, musical appearance: Chris Murphy)

2:00pm. – 3:00pm. The Surf Zone – Gary Bulla, Al Quattrocchi, Jeff Priest, Jim Solomon This will be an introduction for the entire scenario of casting in the surf using a head. This is where it starts with emphasis on preparing for the surf. We must cover stripping head and running line, stretching, rolling line out into surf, stripping back into the basket, correct amount of line to start with, overhang, adding line for longer casts, roll casting head out of water, water hauling, sand hauling, line management, safety, keeping eyes on surf and landscape, fighting fish, landing fish, pictures, safety for joggers and walkers, attitude. Form groups and practice. Need stripping baskets.

1:00pm. – 4:00pm Free Cast/Self Discovery – Focus: Individual instruction for all participants. All casting instructors to help.

Google map link of LBCC location

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7763013 ... a=!3m1!1e3

1st right after Santiago Ave. This is he entrance to both the dog park and the Long Beach Casting Club House Parking is also available on Federation Drive which is the first street on the right after the entrance[/size]
sschung

Postby acorad » March 21st, 2014, 12:37 pm

Very bummed that I will miss this, last Sunday was my first time in the surf. And my first time Double Hauling, shooting tapers, stripping baskets, etc, etc.

Still had a blast and managed to bring a couple fat perch to hand!

Saturdays are usually pretty busy in mine and a lot of other households with kid's sports, etc.

Any chance this can be on a Sunday next year?

Better yet, any chance the presentations can be recorded and put online or something?

Anyway, enjoy!

Andy
acorad

Postby Benny » March 21st, 2014, 3:06 pm

The Double Haul is so much fun and super informative. Wish a had a video cam to record this. My dslr has video, but it's made for only short increments because it overheats. Best I could do is take photos and report back. I'll be there having fun and B.S.ing... If you have never been to the Double Haul, you're definitely missing out.
Benny

Postby sschung » April 1st, 2014, 2:01 pm

Preorder your OSF Rincon long sleeve 100% cotton Beef t-shirts now on www.onesurffly.com > Preorder forms are on the website. Cutoff for shirt orders is tomorrow Wednesday April 2.

Shane
sschung

Return to General Fly Fishing