REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Laid off

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Laid off

Postby Fishfreak911 » March 15th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Wade & Gary. I too believe that this is an opportunity. Something better will find you! I am living proof. I was laid off, and now I have a 30' commute to my studio in the back making sawdust & shavings for fly fishermen. I couldn't dream up a better clientele! Change is always tough, but it will come to pass, and you will likely be thankful.

We have such a great family on this board. I say accept the offer from Craig, Ryan & John. All superb guys and have helped me in the past with website advice, bear canister loan, and Pyramid Lake Flies, respectively.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby fivefish » March 15th, 2014, 9:49 pm

anacrime wrote:Drakes and Firestone are two of the best hoppy beer makers in the world - you're doing well! Where do you live? The brewery I used to work for, Beachwood, makes killer IPAs and highly worth seeking out. SoCal distro only, and get scooped up very quick. I've since taken a job at Crooked Stave in Denver, we focus on wild and sour Belgian-style ales.

I'm in Bakersfield. We have a Eureka Burger here that tries to bring in a variety from around CA. That's where I get the Denogginizer. I'll check Embibe (store with a variety of craft beers) and see if they can get Beachwood.
fivefish

Postby anacrime » March 15th, 2014, 10:21 pm

You're spoiled with Kern River Brewing Co goodies then! That place kills it and was my gateway into craft beer. Lengthwise is pretty good, too. Beachwood doesn't distro out there yet, not enough beer to go around.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby beachbum » March 16th, 2014, 9:55 am

Sorry to heat that, Wade. Hopefully something will pop up quickly for you. I can relate, though. I am currently working back east for a month, because it's the best thing I could find. 81 at my house in Camarillo today, and 22 here, with howling winds. Good luck!
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby WadeK » March 25th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Hi guys,
Just to catch you up. I've been going to the library regularly to use their internet. I've applied to 5 jobs I felt were appropriate. My fishing buddy Greg has been keeping me busy helping him prep a house he bought for a rental. We're hitting Hot C. Friday as a reward.
The lay-off wasn't entirely unexpected as Elco was bought by Cameron a little over a year ago. Our department has been over staffed for a while and I knew something had to happen.
Thanks for all the offers of computer stuff. Greg's getting me set up there.

Tight lines,
Wade
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby midger » March 26th, 2014, 2:26 pm

WadeK wrote:Hi guys,
. We're hitting Hot C. Friday as a reward.
Tight lines,
Wade

Well sound like it's not all bad. Good luck in your job hunt and great luck for HC.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » March 26th, 2014, 3:49 pm

Good luck on the job apps. Hitting Hot Creek sounds like the right thing to do. :)

briansII
briansII

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing