REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

California Heritage Trout Challenge

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

California Heritage Trout Challenge

Postby Brookflyguy » March 20th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Wasn't able to find any other threads related to the heritage trout challenge, might be deep in the depths of the forum.... Just curious how many of you in California have accomplished the challenge or are currently pursuing? Starting it this season, coastal rainbow and coastal cutthroat marked off, planning some trips but not sure how this drought will effect the quest....

For those who aren't familiar with the Heritage challenge here is a link to the Cal DFG site.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Fishing/Reco ... /index.asp
Fish. Explore. Conserve. Live.
Brookflyguy

Re: California Heritage Trout Challenge

Postby Packer » March 20th, 2014, 1:07 pm

I have 3 of them from the Sierras, and a costal. Just need to get up north for two more. The hike in for the LKG's was the hardest of the 3.

As you can see, they're the most camera shy, too.
Thanks, Tim:)/'~~--<*}))>€
....................................................................................................................................HOLD MY BEAR AND WATCH THIS!
Packer

Postby NorcalBob » March 20th, 2014, 2:52 pm

I guess your search didn't turn up this one!!!
http://animoto.com/play/YApS9oCJ8WVBhcRVQMGIOQ
Every one in my family has completed it (hey, you need some street cred to be in this family!). Some of us have done it more than once!
NorcalBob

Postby Brookflyguy » March 20th, 2014, 3:23 pm

Awesome slide show, Bob. Have yet to hit Kern, and when I do I'll be shooting for that triple crown.
Fish. Explore. Conserve. Live.
Brookflyguy

Postby clee » March 21st, 2014, 12:31 am

Buddy of mine completed it. I need two more but they are all in NorCal and I haven't been able to get there as of yet. I hope to complete it soon but we'll see. I was shocked the certificate is actually done really nice and not some cheeseball cert that I was expecting.
clee

Postby Packer » March 21st, 2014, 10:16 am

NorcalBob is a showoff! But he did tell me where to find the redbands so he's a nice showoff.
Thanks. Tim
....................................................................................................................................HOLD MY BEAR AND WATCH THIS!
Packer

Postby briansII » March 21st, 2014, 11:42 am

NorcalBob wrote:I guess your search didn't turn up this one!!!
http://animoto.com/play/YApS9oCJ8WVBhcRVQMGIOQ
Every one in my family has completed it (hey, you need some street cred to be in this family!). Some of us have done it more than once!

That's a great slide show.

briansII
briansII

Postby Benny » March 21st, 2014, 3:26 pm

I was all gung-ho about the challenge. I wanted to complete the challenge as fast as possible, then I realized it was not really a challenge for me to do, but an accomplishment that would be more fun if I took my time. The best thing about the this was all the beautiful new places this would take me. Have fun!
Benny

Postby Jimbo Roberts » March 22nd, 2014, 8:57 am

Sounds like fun. 3 Cutthroats and 8 Rainbows to choose from for the 6 species to qualify.
I think the real challenge would be catching them all and having that be the certificate.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby midger » March 22nd, 2014, 9:06 am

Nice video Bob and some great looking fish. Where was it that the car got vandalized? Looks like they got the windows pretty good. Also liked the token sucker shot, and the coastal rainbows had some shoulders--are those related to steelhead?
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby RichardCullip » March 22nd, 2014, 11:37 am

I'm half way there with a Coastal Rainbow, California Golden and a Kern River Rainbow. This year I hope to get a Little Kern Golden and a Lahontan Cutthroat. After that I'm not sure what my sixth species will be. I'll have to plan a trip up north to finish this off.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby BradW » March 22nd, 2014, 11:52 am

NB,
Beautiful video and a great way to document the challenge. I really need to get my butt in gear and get after it. I have two of the six, but they're the easy ones.
Brad
BradW

Postby NorcalBob » March 22nd, 2014, 4:45 pm

midger wrote:Nice video Bob and some great looking fish. Where was it that the car got vandalized? Looks like they got the windows pretty good. Also liked the token sucker shot, and the coastal rainbows had some shoulders--are those related to steelhead?

Car got nailed on The American River. Made quite a mess in the car, glass every where. Chris is still picking splinters out of the carpet! Yes, coastal rainbows can be steelhead, and some of those fish are indeed steelhead.
NorcalBob

Return to General Fly Fishing