REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Article on John Gierach

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Article on John Gierach

Postby flybob » March 30th, 2014, 6:57 pm

While cruising through the Sunday Paper, in what is left of a one time decent newsprint rag.....Parade....I stumble across this obscure article on one of my favorite Fly Fishing Authors!

Just a little insight to the man, and the timing is just right, notice the date of the release of his next book, which I will be sure to read.

For those of you have who have never had the pleasure of reading his prose, borrow a copy from someone you know, light a cigar, pour a martini and enjoy a few laughs.

I miss all you guys in the worst way!

Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: Article on John Gierach

Postby Jimbo Roberts » March 30th, 2014, 7:46 pm

John is among the very best there when it comes to telling you a story and making you feel not so much as you've read it, but remembering it like you were there. That is the art of his writing and why I own all his books. You know, I enjoy re-reading them from time to time. And yes, they are that good. If you want to know about John's writing skills read one of his early short stories titled "Wretch" about his dog. I laugh everytime I read it.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby WanderingBlues » March 31st, 2014, 5:17 am

I actually met Gierach at a flyshop in Lyons, Colorado. My wife & I were passing thru town and I stopped to gawk at the beautiful bamboo rods the owner was working on. Mr. Gierach came into the shop to chat for a while and broke from the conversation for a smoke just as Tami came to fetch me. We continued chatting outside about my next day's trip on the Big T. He gave me his card, along with some advice on fishing the water.

Me being me, I didn't look at the card and had no idea who he was even after I glanced at it. I didn't grasp it until I heard some guys talking about him (possibly at Volcano) that I said "hey, I know of that guy.." Now, I'm very appreciative of that encounter.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby WestlakeDave » March 31st, 2014, 7:25 am

Good catch Bob! My wife actually put the article on my desk after she did her usual assault on the Sunday paper. This will be the first Gierach book I will own in hardcover, since I pre-ordered it about six months ago on Amazon. A better reason to anticipate the dreaded tax day! And I always tell the truth about fishing! :roll: ;) :)
Dave.
WestlakeDave

Return to General Fly Fishing