REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Offshoot from Wildfly's "Beauty and the Beast" Thread

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Offshoot from Wildfly's "Beauty and the Beast" Thread

Postby Sasha » February 5th, 2009, 11:59 am

Sorry for the hijack.........

I would be interested to see how Doc's question would be answered by spin fisherman. The reason being is that I seriously doubt anybody here is a C&K type fisherman.
Sasha

Postby briansII » February 5th, 2009, 1:41 pm

super dry fly wrote:Well this thread has started to slip off the Doc's topic before I could even jump back in, so I'll be brief.

What was mentioned previously about the age of the trout is true, these put-and-take mutants are exactly that, fish genetically selected for their ability too grow fast, and then stuffed full of augmented feed to again boost their growth rate.

Around here we have freakishly large, hatchery trout being caught and consumed in relatively large numbers. I wouldn't be a bit surpised if we see an increase in b%#*h * amongst local fishermen. :?

Ditto the above. These fish are being fed super high calories, to grow incrediably fast. If you are what you eat, I wouldn't eat a big, hatchery fish. I'd rather choke down a Powerbar. If I did accidently kill a fish, and it was legal to keep, i'd clean it and give it to someone who would/could appreciate it.

briansII
briansII

Postby flybob » February 5th, 2009, 2:41 pm

There is a theory out there that the bottom feeders have the sweetest mildest meat!

I know when I tell people I love catfish, they cringe!

If you like Tilapia, I got some news for you, first of all it is a Cichlid, same family as the Oscar for your tropical fish kind of guys, and cichlids will eat anything, Including each other!

Then I find out that the farms they come from are also the farms that raise Bass! After the Bass have gotten to the right size to be taken out of the tank,
the tanks are a mess!
Guess what they use to clean the tanks, TILAPIA! Apparently they are quite good at it!

Now I hope I did not ruin anything for you!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Benny » February 5th, 2009, 2:56 pm

No wonder Tilapia are so tasty :D
Benny

Postby Papasequoia » February 5th, 2009, 4:04 pm

They taste like chicken. Btw, is this where we get into the discussion about how pigs eat their own *? I was a vegetarian for about 10 years, you guys are making me think I should go back to it! :o
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby flybob » February 5th, 2009, 7:38 pm

Papasequoia wrote:They taste like chicken. Btw, is this where we get into the discussion about how pigs eat their own *? I was a vegetarian for about 10 years, you guys are making me think I should go back to it! :o

Exuse ME, Talapia do not eat their own.............they eat others!

When the restaurants started to offer it up, I had never heard of it, so before I tried it, I researched it!
I won't knowingly touch it, but I am told that it is pretty good.

I still think it is much better to eat canabalistic fish from the ocean and toss in a touch of Mercury just for good measure!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Sasha » February 5th, 2009, 10:17 pm

Every person that is into Cichlids knows that Talapia do not count as real Cichlids :lol:
Sasha

Postby darrin terry » February 5th, 2009, 11:09 pm

I never realized there was a red-headed stepchild among Cichlids. :lol: :lol: :lol:
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Sasha » February 5th, 2009, 11:47 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:I never realized there was a red-headed stepchild among Cichlids. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup I only ever keep the ones you will never find in a pet store.
Sasha

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing