REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Great Choices for fly rod & reel 5wt 9'

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Great Choices for fly rod & reel 5wt 9'

Postby Jones » May 10th, 2014, 5:53 pm

I had posted about getting a Orvis access set up, 9' tip flex 5wt. Can anyone offer other brands that might be better in the same price range of about $600. Thank you for your feed back. I'm ready to purchase and get started fly fishing.

Jones
Jones

Re: Great Choices for fly rod & reel 5wt 9'

Postby lucfish » May 10th, 2014, 6:29 pm

My suggestion would be to go to a reputable fly fishing store (Marriott comes to mind) and tell them you are ready to buy. Try as many rods as you can in the price range you're looking for, the sales guy won't mind they want to make the sale. The reel is not important right off the bat, Imo unless you're fishing for steelhead or some saltwater fish, but you want a good quality rod. What kind is up to you, what feels best in your hands. As far as line tell the sales rep what your fishing for and he'll match up the right kind of line. If you're just getting into the game, get all the info you can, either from people on boards like this or good fly shops. Good luck.
lucfish

Postby BrownBear » May 10th, 2014, 9:20 pm

I've got a stable full of Sage, T&T, Winston, Payne and more. But the rod/reel combo that impresses me even more is in your price range. It's the Temple Fork Outfitters BVK 5-Wt and matching reel. I fish with a number of Sage snobs who have tried mine, then dashed out and bought their own as "back up." Funny thing is, they all fish the BVK's now and leave the Sage for backup.
BrownBear

Postby Sasha » May 11th, 2014, 12:05 pm

lucfish wrote:My suggestion would be to go to a reputable fly fishing store (Marriott comes to mind) and tell them you are ready to buy. Try as many rods as you can in the price range you're looking for, the sales guy won't mind they want to make the sale. The reel is not important right off the bat, Imo unless you're fishing for steelhead or some saltwater fish, but you want a good quality rod. What kind is up to you, what feels best in your hands. As far as line tell the sales rep what your fishing for and he'll match up the right kind of line. If you're just getting into the game, get all the info you can, either from people on boards like this or good fly shops. Good luck.

This!!!

We all like different things, there is a chance you may or may not like the same gear that I like.
Sasha

Postby Jones » May 11th, 2014, 7:39 pm

BrownBear wrote:I've got a stable full of Sage, T&T, Winston, Payne and more. But the rod/reel combo that impresses me even more is in your price range. It's the Temple Fork Outfitters BVK 5-Wt and matching reel. I fish with a number of Sage snobs who have tried mine, then dashed out and bought their own as "back up." Funny thing is, they all fish the BVK's now and leave the Sage for backup.

Thank you, I'm going to look at the BVK series. Can't wait to hit the road for a fishing trip to Bishop or mammoth.

Todd
Jones

Postby BrownBear » May 12th, 2014, 8:18 am

We've all been really pleased with their BVK II reels on that rod too, but there's a broad selection of brands and models in your price range that will suit you. I'm in the habit of lots of backing and find the BVK I a little small for 5WTs. If for some reason you don't like the BVK reels (I doubt it!), you won't have far to look for other choices.

We've used BVK III's for the last couple of years in freshwater and salt for salmon ranging to 35# with perfect drag performance. A bud and his wife have been using the BVK IV's on 10WTs for general Florida saltwater fishing and tarpon to a little over 60# with delight. In their opinion the drag isn't heavy enough for big tarpon on 12 WTs with 16# tippets, but few less expensive reels are up to that task.

More detail than you asked for, but good background for your thinking.
BrownBear

Postby Gila Trout » May 13th, 2014, 10:12 pm

Jones,
Hello. I think Luc gave you the best advice. Only you will know what rod feels best to you after tried the ones you are interested in. I have 3 9' 5 wts. a St. Croix Legend Ultra, Redington Torrent and a TFO BVK I assembled myself. I really enjoy fishing these rods but they are all a little diferent. If you are going to mainly fish trout, bass and panfish you might look into a Redington Drift reel. These reels are fully machined, well made, and have a click drag which is all ones needs for most freshwater fishing. Best of all these reels are $100. Finally, matching the fly line to a rods action will make or break how the rods preforms. There are lines designed to load slow rods, medium fast rods and fast to very fast rods. My favorite line that seems to work really well with mediun fast to fast rods is a Rio Gold line. Good luck with your search it is always fun to buy rods and reels.

Lanny
Gila Trout

Postby BrownBear » May 14th, 2014, 7:27 am

Gila Trout wrote:...a Rio Gold line.

In our experience, that's a terrific line with the BVK 5WT, but interesting enough the 7 is about half a size light on the BVK 7WT. Great point on matching line to rod.

BTW- I get a little "jolt" every time I see your online name. I grew up in SW New Mexico, and the Gila Trout was the first trout I ever caught, and that in the Gila River up near Gila Hot Springs. Waaaaaaaaay back in 1955, near as I can reconstruct! :bananadance: Great animal in a great river in great country.
BrownBear

Postby Jones » May 14th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Gila Trout wrote:Jones,
Hello. I think Luc gave you the best advice. Only you will know what rod feels best to you after tried the ones you are interested in. I have 3 9' 5 wts. a St. Croix Legend Ultra, Redington Torrent and a TFO BVK I assembled myself. I really enjoy fishing these rods but they are all a little diferent. If you are going to mainly fish trout, bass and panfish you might look into a Redington Drift reel. These reels are fully machined, well made, and have a click drag which is all ones needs for most freshwater fishing. Best of all these reels are $100. Finally, matching the fly line to a rods action will make or break how the rods preforms. There are lines designed to load slow rods, medium fast rods and fast to very fast rods. My favorite line that seems to work really well with mediun fast to fast rods is a Rio Gold line. Good luck with your search it is always fun to buy rods and reels.

Lanny

Thank you for the advise. I'm going to go down to bob marriots and check out the selection. I just was looking for a head start.

Todd
Jones

Return to General Fly Fishing