REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The End

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

The End

Postby briansII » June 11th, 2014, 4:41 pm

I found myself mid river, not willing to take the next step. The 2K+ flow was putting enough pressure on my legs to cause my studded boots to skate on the cobbled bottom. Each step closer to my intended destination took me to faster water, and unstable feet. My thoughts were not of the fish I would find once I reached the other side. More emphasis was placed on what a swim down that cobble chute would feel like on my seasoned body. Been there. Done that, and just not willing to push myself to do it again. A wading staff(forgot it at home) would extend the inevitable, but a new line in the sand was drawn that morning.

So stood in the middle of the river for a minute, battling with myself. I clung to what speck of foolish youth I had left, and took one step closer to the other side. My foot slid a good 12 inches before it was pushed up against a cobblestone. I teetered a bit, then very gingerly turned a 180, and carefully waded back the way I started. I milled around, looking for an easier path across, but deep down I knew I wasn't going to make another attempt. I wussed out. I went quietly into the night. :sad: The most embarrassing thing was, I worried that my phone would get wet if I fell in. What's up with that! :dooh:

Maybe I should ask my doc about TRT.

briansII
briansII

Re: The End

Postby Wildman » June 11th, 2014, 5:22 pm

What you describe is pretty much normal for me.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Doug720 » June 11th, 2014, 5:25 pm

There are old fishermen and there are bold fishermen, but not old and bold fishermen.

At some point, the thought of bouncing down the bottom while loosing/breaking your rod, is rethought!

The phone...well that's wrong

Doug
Getting older and less bolder
Doug720

Postby RichardCullip » June 11th, 2014, 6:19 pm

I'm glad it wasn't the end.....of you. Stay safe out there.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby midger » June 11th, 2014, 6:23 pm

You made the right choice, and you probably should have made it earlier than you did. I used to be a much more fearless (uh, stupid) wader 10-15 years ago, but I now realize what the alternatives are to lost footing, banging my head into the rocks, filling the waders with wader, yada, yada, yada. In the grand scheme of things, trying to reach and hook a fish that you're just going to release isn't worth the potential cost.

I call it maturing and getting smarter. YMMV! ;)

Here are links to incidents that took 5 lives due to drowning. Bottom line: Better safe than sorry.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/2011/08/10/four-fly-fishers-drown-in-two-separate-incidents/

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=737876#Post737876
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby WanderingBlues » June 11th, 2014, 6:42 pm

They make a pill for that......

Seriously, I get it. Took a fall on DC in a stupid easy section to make me realize some things are not worth tempting.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Sasha » June 11th, 2014, 7:13 pm

Wuss :bananadance:

J/K ;)
Sasha

Postby flybob » June 11th, 2014, 7:35 pm

Brian, it's called wisdom!

I was pretty much injury free after my teens through middle adulthood.....then I started flyfishing.
I split my shin open.....slipping on a rock!
I broke a finger....slipping on a rock!
I got a concussion.....slipping on a rock!
And many, many more minor incidents.....slipping on rocks!

But one of my most fearful incidents was having my feet sucked out from under me due to a strong undertow in seemingless placid waters on the Kern! The panic that went through me as I could feel the current taking me downstream was unbelievable....I am not a great swimmer. Lucky for me, I was pushed into shallower water and scrambled to my feet.
I shook it off as a just another dunking to those around me, but deep down, I knew better, and spent the rest of the weekend, fishing the the shin deep riffles.

No shame in knowing when to say when.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby fshflys » June 12th, 2014, 6:25 am

I wear pants waders now, not chest waders cause I have no business being in that deep of water.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby Wildman » June 12th, 2014, 6:45 am

One thing I have learned is that being a biped is less stable then being a tripod. I know wade with a wading staff that flyaddict made for me out of some one inch wooden dowel with a rubber chair floor protector deal on the bottom and a motorcycle grip on the top. Attached with a bungee to my wading belt, I just let it float when I get to where I want to be. I've had it for several years now and don't wade without it. I still slip and fall but not nearly like what I did when I started. There is nothing like the rush of cold water going down the back of your neck without warning to wake a fellow up.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby BrownBear » June 12th, 2014, 8:08 am

briansII wrote:...speck of foolish youth ....

Welcome to my world- Geezers Anonymous!!!!!! :bananadance:

In my youth I waded for a living, and I've been downright sloppy about it ever since. Never owned a wading staff or studded boots until after turning 60, and now I have them all. Only thing left is learning when to say NO! :doh:
BrownBear

Postby briansII » June 12th, 2014, 9:13 am

Well, looks like I'm in good company. :P

I still think I could have made it across......

Denial is the first stage of grief. I guess I should just start grieving about the loss of my cajones, and get over it. ;)

I did have one incident where I was not sure I was going to make it out ok. High summer flows, at the top of the biggest, fastest run on the river. I slipped and fell in at a bad spot......a big washing machine eddy. I was stuck in belly deep water, unable to move to saftey. I was at a stalemate with the current. I struggled long enough to have plenty of time to think of the outcomes, and even yell for help. No one was around this popular spot that evening. Relaxing and letting the current take me, I think I would've been ok, but a good chance I was going to take a beating. I was starting to get cold, and worried.

This is what I had to look forward to. The year this happened, the flows were higher than in the vid.

Sorry to say, I ended up being fish food. ;)

I sat on the bank, shivering and exhausted. Still not sure how I got enough traction to get out, other than somebody up there was looking out for me.

briansII
briansII

Postby BrownBear » June 12th, 2014, 10:06 am

Ugh....

While working swollen rivers we used to carry 300' of climbing rope. To cross we'd find an outside bend and double the rope around a tree, then move down the bend the 150' allowed. Then hang onto the doubled rope as we hopped (might I say rappelled?) across the river. First to cross would let go the rope and the next guy would start at the tree and walk down to the end and take his turn rappelling. Last guy across, pull on one end of the rope to recover it from the tree, coil it and go back to work. Coming back, we'd just move to the next outside bend. Anyone that fell while crossing would just "body surf" on across the river, pushed by the current sweeping around the bend. Taught us a whole lot about the value of wading belts tight around your waders with a good raincoat over the top.

Looking back, we were all lucky no log came downriver mid-crossing. Also lucky we never managed to tangle a rope. Never did carry a spare coil, but in retrospect we could have needed it any time.

Youth and enthusiasm rein supreme! :bananadance:

Long as possible anyway..... :doh:
BrownBear

Postby BrownBear » June 12th, 2014, 12:06 pm

BTW-

These marvels are now part of our standard geezer gear. Built for conditions like you see on Deadliest Catch, they're tough as nails yet compact enough to be out of the way. Best of all they cost just under $100. I've tried the various suspenders and such, but none measure up to these. If you climb on my boat, you'll be wearing one. We use them in float tubes and pontoon boats too, as well as general wading. You'll see us wearing ours on the Kern this winter.

Call me lucky for not needing one in my youth, but my wife (and my boss!) sure would have slept better if I'd had one. Only makes sense for lots of folks to be wearing them.
BrownBear

Postby Benny » June 12th, 2014, 1:58 pm

My judgment has also been clouded by trout in the past. I did learn my lesson on the Kern, that no fish is worth not being able to fish ever again!
Benny

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing