REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Muddy waters

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Muddy waters

Postby Wanderer » July 11th, 2014, 4:44 pm

I was up in oak creek canyon this past week and wanted to do some trout fishing. The water was really muddy as the fire that burned up the place was now being pelted by the monsoon runoff in flagstaff. Being a novice i didn't fish but I kept wondering Can the fish survive? how bad is it for them I am sure this has happened many times over the millennium. The water was a chocolate brown color visibility tome about 1/2 inch. So do the fish survive ? Is it fishable? What happens in general?
Wanderer

Re: Muddy waters

Postby lucfish » July 11th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Most likely some fish will get choked out, some will get pushed downstream and some will find a pocket and survive. Those are important fish as they will have to repopulate the stream. I wouldn't fish the stream and it probably wouldn't produce much in the way of fish.
lucfish

Postby Wildman » July 11th, 2014, 8:53 pm

That was a good question and Luc had a good answer. I am always amazed how fish survive when we have a good rain year and the creeks are blasting through at 30X normal. When the flows go down, the fish always seem to be there.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby WanderingBlues » July 15th, 2014, 5:18 am

And in Oak Canyon's case, they do stock. Some of those pellet heads will eventually go wild.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Ants » July 15th, 2014, 7:26 am

Two additional concerns.

The habitat for the bugs in the water suffers.

I am not sure what happened with the downstream fish hatchery. At other times, the hatchery personnel have evacuated all the fish and trucked them to a different facility. On the Kern, when the sediment from the McNally fire threatened the water supply to the hatchery, the fish were released downstream and into the lake.

Yup. There a big changes.

Ants
Ants

Postby lucfish » July 15th, 2014, 7:54 am

Ant's made a good point. No bugs and no spawning habitat. There's a local stream here that I have fished for many, many years, always produced fish, lot's of fish and about 5 or so years ago there was a tremendous amount of water that came through. I don't think it was a flash flood I can't remember but the fishing is 10% of what it was. It blew out all the gravel and there is nothing but bedrock. I imagine it will take quite a few years before some gravel makes it back there.
lucfish

Postby acorad » July 15th, 2014, 1:09 pm

Couple years ago I hiked down to the FotK just after a thunderstorm had washed the ash from a recent fire into the Little Kern. Man, that little river was as thick as chocolate syrup. Anyway, it has seemed to recover pretty well.

Andy
acorad

Return to General Fly Fishing