REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Wading Staffs

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

How many of you are using wading staffs?

Yes
68%
No
33%

Total votes : 40

Re: Wading Staffs

Postby beachbum » September 15th, 2014, 1:22 pm

If you want serious support, I highly recommend the Folstaff wading staff. I put a rubber tip on the end of mine, and found the grip was excellent, and it stopped the clanking noise that spooked fish as I move around the river.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Jimbo Roberts » September 15th, 2014, 9:24 pm

I used to use a Folstaff when things got tuff, but the elastic cord that pulls the sections together lost it's strength and the staff was no longer secure when extended. I also tried using a collapsible staff like the hiking staffs and it collapsed on me one time when I needed it the most. I have been using the Simms wading staff this past year. It is the one seen here on page 2. It is the best I've ever used. I fish with it all the time now.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby Richard W T » September 24th, 2014, 3:00 pm

I currently don't but I'm only a couple more falls away from having to get one.
"How do you help that son of a *?"
"By taking him fishing."
-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
Richard W T

Postby Jimbo Roberts » September 28th, 2014, 2:41 pm

Another thing I like about using a wading staff like the Simms one is it's solid enough to use when going up and especially down a slope while getting to the water. I never used the hiking staffs back when I was doing some serious backpacking in the 70's and 80's (I wish I had), but now everyone is using them, and they really help to steady this old goat going up and down slope.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby Bob S » October 2nd, 2014, 12:26 pm

I always use my staff. I have a metal ski pole. It does get hung up. It was free. I gotta get one of those folding staffs that tuck inside the pouch you can wear on the belt. Your balance isn't the same at 55 that it is at 30.

My buddy says my metal staff makes too much noise in the water. I say our feet are scrunching the bottom when we walk in the water. Walking is a whole lot more pressure crunching rocks together than I could ever apply with a staff. I would go to a wood staff, but they seem heavy. Please use a staff if you aren't a wading stud.
Bob S

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing