REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Wading Staffs

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

How many of you are using wading staffs?

Yes
68%
No
33%

Total votes : 40

Wading Staffs

Postby Benny » July 24th, 2014, 4:20 pm

I'm going to be headed to Northern Cal in a few days. I'll be fishing the Pit. If my memory is correct, the boulders are more slippery than on the Kern. Although I don't consider myself an old fart just yet, I do know that my joints are not what they used to be and I have lots of aches and pains from my ankles to my hips. I would really prefer to get back home in hopefully the same condition.

I'm curious to know how many of you young and not so young are using wading staffs?

I seen the Simms collapsible wading staff, it's very nice, but the price is a bit on the exspensive side, and I'm trying to stay at a lower price point if at all possible. What are you guys using?

Thanks
Benny

Re: Wading Staffs

Postby Wildman » July 24th, 2014, 4:46 pm

I qualify as a not so young and I carry a wading staff everywhere on creeks and streams. Mark made me staff out of wood dowel with a rubber foot and a elastic cord that attaches to my wading belt with a carabiner. It goes on my wading shorts if wet wading. The staff just floats behind me when I fish and I pull it up to move. There are times it gets hung up but seldom. I walk the O trails without too much hassle. I do get caught and have had my butt "kicked" a few times but wouldn't wade without it. I simply to not have the balance I used to enjoy when I surfed and skied continuously.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby midger » July 24th, 2014, 4:56 pm

Benny,
The Pit is a tough river to wade--young or old. A wading staff will definitely help and you'll be going over some rocks the size of VW bugs. It is one of the toughest rivers I've waded because of the size of the rocks and the fact that it gets deep quickly on the backsides of some of those boulders. Be careful and choose your steps wisely. I hope the flows are good for you.

Which section are you fishing? I generally fished Pit 3, but others are also good.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby acorad » July 24th, 2014, 5:00 pm

I voted "yes" but the reality is I've only used a staff on the Kern so far, but I use it there every time now after the falls I took my first time in the river.

Andy
acorad

Postby briansII » July 24th, 2014, 5:13 pm

I use a wading staff most of the time, but not always. Like this evening. I don't plan on any aggressive wading, so it'll stay in the car. For me, a staff really helps keep me stable and upright. I can wade much more aggressively with one......which does present it's own problems on occasion.

The Simms staff is very nice. I really liked mine until I ruined it with battery acid. :doh: I now use a Spring Brook collapsible. Nice staff, but I don't like the holster. One thing I have found with staffs is, not to get one that has a thick shaft(the Spring Brook is thicker than the Simms). A strong current will make planting the staff more difficult than a thinner staff. Sounds like a minor thing, but it's not when your are making a crossing in heavy current. I like a pointed metal tip to get in between the cobble for a solid plant.

briansII
briansII

Postby lucfish » July 24th, 2014, 6:20 pm

I pretty much use a staff anywhere I fish except the locals. Even if it's shallow I like wading with it and when I'm on the trail I like walking with it. If I don't feel like walking with it I just let it drag behind me. Make sure you don't get one too long.
lucfish

Postby Benny » July 24th, 2014, 6:32 pm

midger wrote:
Which section are you fishing? I generally fished Pit 3, but others are also good.

I've been looking at current reports from The Fly Shop in Redding, and flows look good and so does the fishing. More than likely we will be fishing Pit 3, but will be open to 4 and 5 as well. Bring the pontoon and tube as well just in case we feel like some lake fishing.

I'll be sure to get me a wading staff, just need to figure out what staff to buy.

I have a pair of Leki trekking poles, wondering if they might work as a wadding staff?
Benny

Postby WanderingBlues » July 24th, 2014, 7:53 pm

I wasn't using my staff on the Tuolumne below the meadows and spilled on one of the slick granite bowls. Ended up fracturing my #10 rib on the casting side. That was 2 weeks ago. Heading back to work, light duty, on Monday. Use the staff...
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby flyster » July 24th, 2014, 8:39 pm

Don't leave home w/out one.
" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Postby midger » July 24th, 2014, 8:44 pm

Benny wrote:

I have a pair of Leki trekking poles, wondering if they might work as a wadding staff?

I suspect they'd work fine. I often use a ski pole I bought from a second hand store--got a pair for $5.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby BrownBear » July 24th, 2014, 9:06 pm

My wife and I never used staffs until we turned 60. Now we use them all the time. Looking back, they'd have helped me long ago, but I just couldn't be bothered. Payed the price here and there too.

We kinda edged into it, using trekking poles first. Got in the way constantly any time we weren't in the water. So I got my wife a Simms for her birthday. It was all over when I borrowed it one day. Picked up my own before I got back home. The trekking poles work just as well in the water, but they're a nuisance out. The Simms trumps them hands down simply because they're easy to carry out of the way when you're not using them.
BrownBear

Postby clee » July 24th, 2014, 10:41 pm

Benny wrote:
midger wrote:

I've use a walking staff as a wading staff. No problem. I rarely use it though but I rarely fish big enough water to warrant it.
clee

Postby chrismgil » July 24th, 2014, 11:22 pm

I usually will carry a wading staff or my trekking poles for local trips. Not only to help with preventing slips and falls but also in case I cross paths with a rattler or something.
chrismgil

Postby planettrout » July 25th, 2014, 5:49 am

Benny,

I use this folding staff from Folstaf...had it for years and prefer it over a one piece, dangling off my body, in the current. I don't scrimp when it comes to wading safely...

http://www.flytyerscarryall.com/

PT/TB ;)
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby Ants » July 25th, 2014, 6:52 am

I frequently use a wading staff I cut from a right-sized tree. Price point was nice.

On my more ambitious days on the Kern, I wear knee and shin guards. The Rothco version has straps around knee and calf. The guards save a lot of wear and tear and make kneeling a comfortable and safe option. The full delivered cost was about $35. An earlier version without knee straps was troublesome since the current would get behind knee part and give extra push when I didn't want it.

It saves wear and tear on waders or whatever you wear when wet wading.

Great for access into nymphing territory. Not sure if my trekking umbrella will make it on the water as well as hiking to the water.

Ants
Ants

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing