REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fins? Not the fish variety!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fins? Not the fish variety!

Postby flybob » February 10th, 2009, 8:57 am

Ok, so we have seen a couple of posts regarding float tubes, lots of great info, so much so that I purchaced one!

But how about propulsion?

I see that there are several models of float tube fins out there, and all claim to be the best!
They range in price from 24.95 to 179.95.

I pose this question to the board, for those of you "Toobers" out there, which fins do you own, and more importantly, do you like them?
If you had to buy another pair would you stick with the model you own, or would try a different model?

Thanks for your knowledge and help,
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: Fins? Not the fish variety!

Postby RubiKinda » February 10th, 2009, 9:20 am

I still swear by the old school Force Fins. Mine are 10+ years old and still "kicking." Well worth the $100 or so. When wet tubing (no waders/boots), I use Churchill bodyboard fins. They run about $45 and are great for saltwater bay fishing when you need to cover a lot of water.
RubiKinda

Postby Flyjunkie » February 10th, 2009, 9:34 am

I'm in 100% agreement with Rubi.. Force fins are the Best!!!!! Lotsa propulsion with little energy expenditure.. my Old fins, almost 20 years ago, where always giving me cramps after a number of hours out and about... Not So with Force Fins...

Buy the Adjustable type.. they go for $179.(??) well worth the Money spent and you'll have them for YEARS... ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby fshflys » February 10th, 2009, 10:12 am

I use Churchills too, got mine at a surf shop where they had a container of used unmatched fins for cheap since you have to get them a size larger than you would wear barefoot.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby RubiKinda » February 10th, 2009, 11:01 am

I use Churchills too, got mine at a surf shop where they had a container of used unmatched fins for cheap since you have to get them a size larger than you would wear barefoot.

2 different sizes? Must make you troll in circles! :D
RubiKinda

Postby darrin terry » February 10th, 2009, 11:07 am

Bob, I too, am new. To tubing anyway. The deal I got when I bought my tube included Force Fins. I've not used any others while tubing. Never planned to in the first place. Prior to getting mine, I had read and been told that Force Fins were the only way to go and I had no intention of ignoring that advice. Having used them, I was pretty impressed. I used them in the San Joaquin river at Lost Lake which means I was kicking upstream to the top of the run. It was work but not truly difficult. Considering tubes are not intended for use in rivers, I am quite happy with them. Money, but worth it I think.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Sasha » February 10th, 2009, 11:22 am

You should get these :lol:

Sasha

Postby briansII » February 10th, 2009, 11:53 am

As others have said, Force Fins!

I spend quite a bit of my fishing time with fins on. I've used other brands/styles for quite a while before I bit the bullet and bought Force Fins. No comparison. Less effort to kick, and no more leg cramps. I tend to cover as much water as possible in a day of striper fishing out of a tube or pontoon. That means i'm kicking ALL day. I had to stop numerous times a day for leg cramps. No more with the Force Fins.

briansII
briansII

Postby flybob » February 10th, 2009, 12:23 pm

Sasha wrote:You should get these :lol:

Sasha, don't your heels get stuck in the mud?
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby anacrime » February 10th, 2009, 1:24 pm

flybob wrote:

i'm sure he doesn't mind, as long as he's the bell of the ball out on the lake 8-)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby RichardCullip » February 10th, 2009, 2:56 pm

I use Force Fins (the non-adjustable model) and love them. I don't even consider the notion of using something different. The Force Fins work so well, letting me move from here to there, in both windy conditons and tidal current conditions found in SD Bay, with minimal effort that I am very pleasured with the purchase. I'd buy them again in a heart beat.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Sasha » February 10th, 2009, 3:35 pm

anacrime wrote:
flybob wrote:

i'm sure he doesn't mind, as long as he's the bell of the ball out on the lake 8-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually I don't even own a float tube. Still water fishing never held much interest for me other than when I take one of my kids to the local pond.
Sasha

Postby midger » February 10th, 2009, 3:55 pm

I sixth (or is it seventh) the Force Fins, UNLESS you are going to use them for backpacking. They are very heavy and not conducive to creating a light pack. For backpacking, I use some cheap Caddis Fins--cost around $30 or so, can't remember as I've had them for many years.

If for car tubing, then spend the sheckels and get the FF.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby flybob » February 11th, 2009, 11:32 am

Hey guys, thanks for all the input.

I guess there is no question that the most expensive fins are the best! (almost what I paid for the tube!)

I was kinda hoping to see some comments about the Cold Creek's (there was a great deal at Sierra Trading Post).

But, I think I understand now:

Old man + cold water + cheapo fins + water current = Leg Cramps = I don't know why I bought this stupid thing in the first place = a really good deal for someone else!

I guess I will have to find a bullet to bite!
Hey wait a minute, I reload my own, I have plenty of bullets!

Force Fins it is!
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby darrin terry » February 11th, 2009, 11:35 am

Way to justify Bob. :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing