REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fins? Not the fish variety!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Fins? Not the fish variety!

Postby rayfound » February 11th, 2009, 11:51 am

Shoot... I would have to spend a LOT of time in the tube to justify $180 on fins... Wow.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby midger » February 11th, 2009, 11:55 am

rayfound wrote:Shoot... I would have to spend a LOT of time in the tube to justify $180 on fins... Wow.

No, actually one day in the wind on Lake Crowley and you'd find them justified. It's a long walk back to Green Banks from the East side. :o
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Eric » February 11th, 2009, 12:12 pm

Bob. like almost eveyone else i use force fins. only way to go. make sure to also pick up the leach(sp) attachment.
Eric
Eric

Postby briansII » February 11th, 2009, 12:53 pm

flybob wrote:Hey guys, thanks for all the input.

I guess there is no question that the most expensive fins are the best! (almost what I paid for the tube!)

I was kinda hoping to see some comments about the Cold Creek's (there was a great deal at Sierra Trading Post).

But, I think I understand now:

Old man + cold water + cheapo fins + water current = Leg Cramps = I don't know why I bought this stupid thing in the first place = a really good deal for someone else!

I guess I will have to find a bullet to bite!
Hey wait a minute, I reload my own, I have plenty of bullets!

Force Fins it is!

I just checked and..............wow! The price went up since I bought mine. I also noticed they upgraded the fin for float tubing. I use the Original Force Fin. They are not as nice as the new models, but work the same. Found some on sale.

http://www.123scuba.com/p-FNF1B.html

A Force Fin fact told to me by a person at Force Fin. The first Force Fins came without heel straps. The design kept them on your feet, without the straps. Later they added straps for an extra measure of security. I can attest to the fins staying on without a strap. I lost a starp * out in the middle of a lake. I sat there, wondering how I was going to get back to shore with only one fin. I tried, but it was VERY slow going. I decided the heck with it, stuck the strapless fin on, and headed slowly back to shore. I found that the fin stayed snug, so I just kicked back like I normally would. Never once did the fin slip or get loose on my foot. When I called to get a replacement *, the employee told me about the first Force Fins.

briansII
briansII

Postby anacrime » February 11th, 2009, 1:11 pm

bobby, for what it's worth, i use dive fins. lakes, bays, open ocean, all no worries. i've used a few styles of float tube fins and body boarding fins and liked the dive fins the best. never tried these force things though. they're probably awesome, but just thought i'd chime in. and yeah, get adjustable. sometimes you'll wanna wear waders or booties and sometimes just barefoot
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby stanbery » February 12th, 2009, 2:31 am

Bob

The creek company fins work fine. I had some for years before I left them behind at a lake.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Sasha » March 12th, 2009, 4:03 pm

I have a question now that I have a tube. I looked at force fins and I noticed that there are a lot of different types. So is there one type that I should be looking for?
Sasha

Postby darrin terry » March 12th, 2009, 4:13 pm

These are what I have:

At this link:
http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/FF_Pro ... eforce.htm

Heavy, you don't want to hike them in. But very good in the water.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby briansII » March 12th, 2009, 4:13 pm

Sasha wrote:I have a question now that I have a tube. I looked at force fins and I noticed that there are a lot of different types. So is there one type that I should be looking for?

This way, yours won't get mixed up with some other guys fins. ;)

They make one for float tubing. Crazy expensive, but I wouldn't use anything except Force Fins.

http://www.forcefin.com/Merchant2/merch ... ct_Code=FT

briansII
briansII

Postby darrin terry » March 12th, 2009, 4:22 pm

One thing, if you don't like the weight in your feet of using them with your wading boots, you might look up a dive shop for some over sized dive booties for walking around in. That way you still protect your wader booties when you get out of the water. Or just get some over sized cheap tennis shoes.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby flybob » March 12th, 2009, 5:43 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:These are what I have:

At this link:
http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/FF_Pro ... eforce.htm

Heavy, you don't want to hike them in. But very good in the water.

Well, I sucked it up, cashed in all my cupons and rebates, and got a pair of these from Cabela's for 109.00!
I was really impressed with the constuction, allen head cap screws, brass busings, thick straps heavy padding and they weigh a ton! I put on my largest wading boots, and they FIT with room to spare! Someone really did their homework when they designed them!
Built like a battleship!
Can't wait to try them out!

Just want to thank everyone for all the advice.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Sasha » March 12th, 2009, 6:51 pm

briansII wrote:
Sasha wrote:I have a question now that I have a tube. I looked at force fins and I noticed that there are a lot of different types. So is there one type that I should be looking for?

This way, yours won't get mixed up with some other guys fins. ;)

They make one for float tubing. Crazy expensive, but I wouldn't use anything except Force Fins.

http://www.forcefin.com/Merchant2/merch ... ct_Code=FT

briansII

Hmmmm those pink fins would look good out on the water if I was wearing a clown costume ;) :lol:
Sasha

Postby Jim T » March 13th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Bob,

Welcome to the tubing community.

I see you bought your fins already but here's my story (hopefully will make you feel better about spending the big bucks):

Bought my tube in October of last year.

I had heard great things about Force Fins but couldn't see paying the high price (how can they cost that much when they're just stamped rubbers with a few straps?).

I tried some short boogie board type fins but went nowhere fast.
I tried the Hot Spot fins (made here in SCAL), which worked well since they have a good flex but did not like the cheap strap.
I borrowed some Outcast fins that strap onto your boots and they did not provide enough power (almost had to walk home one night after fishing downwind). They are very light but they were too rigid and required wearing your boots.
I tried some Mares Avanti X3 dive fins at the recommendation of another tuber and while they fit great, were too long and stiff for my legs. Almost blew out my knees in high wind. Might be better in a traditional tube where your legs are completely submersed and you can kick from your hips.

After borrowing some Force Fins, I finally broke down and bought the adjustable Force Fins last week (using coupons and gift certificates). Had them out last week on Castaic Lagoon in a serious wind and did fine. No more knee issues. The non-adjustable fins did not fit my foot w/bootie so I went with the adjustable's like you. Since you'll be moving your legs all day, I second Darrin's recommendation to wear some booties or aqua-sox type shoes to minimize the weight.

Let me know when you want to go out. I'm on a mission to try all the still waters here in the south so I can do day trips when I can't make it up north. So far I've fished:

Lake Elizabeth
Silverwood
Big Bear
Laguna Niguel (3 times)
Castaic Lagoon (3 times)
Tejon Ranch Small Lake

Jim T
Jim T

Postby briansII » March 13th, 2009, 1:44 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:One thing, if you don't like the weight in your feet of using them with your wading boots, you might look up a dive shop for some over sized dive booties for walking around in. That way you still protect your wader booties when you get out of the water. Or just get some over sized cheap tennis shoes.

Another advantage of Force Fins.....there just wonderful ain't they! :lol:.....is you can walk in them. I don't recommend taking long hikes, ;) but just a short walk back to truck to grab something is ok. The curved blades allow you to walk forward, with out the tip of the fins digging into the ground. Trying to walk forward with straight blade, dive, fins can be tricky. You cannot walk forward with either fin, while you're still IN the water.......well you can, but make sure you have a spare set of dry clothes handy.

briansII
briansII

Postby 209er » March 13th, 2009, 6:07 pm

Hello FlyBob,
Ok, I'm another in favor of force fins. Bought my 1st set in '83 at $50+ and that was outrageous. Bought my 2nd pair in '05 for $100 more. Never used anything else so I don't know. Buddy uses Caddis but he's really old and always complains of leg cramps when the breeze is blowing. Me? Cramps too. 209er
209er

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing