REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Catarafts

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Catarafts

Postby Packer » March 17th, 2015, 9:42 am

Benny wrote:What do you guys think? Yea or nay?

I vote yea, make two of them, and take me with you! Do a little quail hunting while we're out there.
What body of waters are you looking to break it in on?
Thanks, Tim:)/'~~--<*}))><
....................................................................................................................................HOLD MY BEAR AND WATCH THIS!
Packer

Postby Benny » March 17th, 2015, 11:11 am

Packer wrote:
Benny wrote:What do you guys think? Yea or nay?

I vote yea, make two of them, and take me with you! Do a little quail hunting while we're out there.
What body of waters are you looking to break it in on?
Thanks, Tim:)/'~~--<*}))><

Haha... I wish I could build a few of them Tim.

The first real float will be on the Colorado River, from Glen Canyon Dam to Lee's Ferry. Ben from AZWonderings got me all pumped up. Now I want to make this a must float trip and perhaps even an annual float trip.
Benny

Postby Benny » March 17th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Just pulled the trigger on the PAC 1200 tubes/bladders, it was just to good to pass up. So the build begins... :bananadance:
Benny

Postby briansII » March 17th, 2015, 12:26 pm

Benny wrote:This is another option I have been looking into as well. Building the cataraft frame to my own specs via rowframe. Row frame was mentioned on several whitewater rafting forums. Built the same as nrs frames but at a fraction of the cost.

For the bladders or pontoons, I have found out that I could purchase individual or a pair of bladders from Outcast directly. This is only over the phone, Outcast does not sell them via the web for whatever reasons. The Outcast PAC 1200 will be $215.00 per tube or $430.00 for the pair. I think this is a super great deal, considering these tubes are made by Aire and carry a 10 year warranty. The tubes would be 13' in length and have a 20" diameter. Bomber tubes on a custom cat frame for under $500 bucks. Come on...

I know I still need the oars, tie down straps and other miscellaneous items, but this will be built to the exact way that I want the cataraft. I want this to do muti-day float trips. I think this will work best to carry a decent amount of gear comfortably.

What do you guys think? Yea or nay?

If you like doing all the research, and putting things together yourself.....and troubleshooting when things don't go as planned, I say go for it. It might be less expensive than a turn key deal, but don't expect to save a lot of money. Those little details can add up quickly.

I would also be very open to what size pontoon or cataraft you actually need. What will you be using it for the most. Will you be rowing technical stuff? Going bigger might not be better, but not having enough capacity would suck too.

briansII
briansII

Postby Benny » March 17th, 2015, 2:12 pm

If you like doing all the research, and putting things together yourself.....and troubleshooting when things don't go as planned, I say go for it. It might be less expensive than a turn key deal, but don't expect to save a lot of money. Those little details can add up quickly.

I would also be very open to what size pontoon or cataraft you actually need. What will you be using it for the most. Will you be rowing technical stuff? Going bigger might not be better, but not having enough capacity would suck too.

briansII

Both cats and pontoons have there place and functions. I have learned that I do not want another pontoon (I have the Fish Cat Streamer XL) for floating multi-day trips on rivers. Most pontoon type kickboats are to small for carrying enough gear from what have been reading and seeing in photos. They are sure great in the bay or on the lake, not so much so for multi-day river runs.

I want to be able to take an ice-chest with cold beers, gatorade, and steaks for dinner for a few guys. Have a decent dry box for stowing gear that needs to stay dry. I want to do it right the first time so to speak.

I'm going to build something like these type frames. Pontoons vary of course, but it gives an idea of what I in my head.
IMAGES
Will I save money in the long run... Nope. I'm going to spend lots of money on this build, but I will get something I want. I almost pulled the trigger on the Scadden pontoon, but I did more research and have come to the fact that a cataraft is the right boat for floating rivers on multi-day trips. I will still have a pontoon, a float tube, and now will have a cataraft too.

Like I said before. This is never ending... spending money on fly fishing that is.
Benny

Postby fly addict » March 17th, 2015, 2:39 pm

Benny,
Have you looked at one of these,
http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-12/
The also have them in a inflatable version.
Way more faster on the water than a toon and hands free?
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Benny » March 17th, 2015, 2:48 pm

fly addict wrote:Benny,
Have you looked at one of these,
http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-12/
The also have them in a inflatable version.
Way more faster on the water than a toon and hands free?

Ha.. Those inflatables with peddles are a trip.
Benny

Postby briansII » March 17th, 2015, 3:38 pm

Benny wrote:
I want to be able to take an ice-chest with cold beers, gatorade, and steaks for dinner for a few guys. Have a decent dry box for stowing gear that needs to stay dry. I want to do it right the first time so to speak.

Like I said before. This is never ending... spending money on fly fishing that is.

Yup. With that packing list, I think a cataraft is the way to go. Cold beer and steak sounds good to me!

Keep us posted on the build.

briansII
briansII

Postby briansII » March 23rd, 2015, 4:57 pm

Not as nice as what you are planning to build, but an idea of what a used rig sells for.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread. ... n-Cataraft

briansII
briansII

Postby Benny » March 23rd, 2015, 9:11 pm

briansII wrote:Not as nice as what you are planning to build, but an idea of what a used rig sells for.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread. ... n-Cataraft

briansII

I was looking at those cat tubes, they are Maxxon They don't have the best reviews from the rafting crowds. I have found that the fishing guys have them on quite a few fishing type cats and not really any bad reviews. The thing with the Maxxon cat tubes is the seams are glued. I have read that they did start doing heat welding on the seams, I just haven't read any info on the Maxxon site with regards to seam welding. Badcat, Steelheader, and Fishcraft all use Maxxon pontoons on there builds.

Here is a good read from theboatpeople.org regarding boat materials, rubber vs PVC.

On another note about my future build, I pulled the trigger on the PAC 1200 pontoons... Well so I thought, in actuality I bought just the air bladders without any covers to them :doh: Yeah that sucked I had to return the bladders via UPS earlier today. It turns out that low price I had paid was just for the inner bladders. Anyhow I'm back to the drawing board on the tubes, as I'm not willing to pay $2100.00 for the PAC 1200's.

I was looking at the Rocky Mountain 14' Welded Cataraft Tubes, the good thing is that they have welded seams and are not glued like the Maxxon.

These are the cat tubes I really want, but the price is quite expensive $2,069... Sotar green and black cats. They are on the Sotar Hotsheet aka sale items. I think they look pretty nice and a good color that's not to loud so to speak, plus those colors sort of blend into the landscape a bit I guess.
Benny

Postby Benny » March 24th, 2015, 11:04 am

Found this company Canyon. They build some really nice solid looking catarafts, I looked them up on google and didn't find any reviews on any of the catarafts.It looks as if they are just starting out. Even the website looks unfinished.

A new company that is just starting out that offers 10 year warranty on their boats. What if they don't make it in the business and go bust after a few years? Wouldn't the warranty just be meaningless for the most part?

The boats do looks good and solid though.
Benny

Postby Benny » March 24th, 2015, 5:19 pm

After finding the reviews online for Canyoninflatables I would not be doing business with them, and would advise anyone to do there research on this company. I have read of only one good experience with dealing with this company. Do your home work on this guy.
Benny

Postby fivefish » March 24th, 2015, 6:00 pm

Benny, have you researched Saturn at all? http://www.saturnboats.com/

They have catarafts. I was thinking about getting their 14 or 15 foot inflatable boat with a trolling motor to putt around little lakes in WA with the kids.
fivefish

Postby Benny » March 24th, 2015, 6:56 pm

fivefish wrote:Benny, have you researched Saturn at all? http://www.saturnboats.com/

They have catarafts. I was thinking about getting their 14 or 15 foot inflatable boat with a trolling motor to putt around little lakes in WA with the kids.

Yes have looked into the Saturns as well. They have a crowd that loves them as entry level boats and the hard core catarafters that hate them and call them POS.

I'm realizing that it's all personal choice and budget as to what people can afford. It's just like buying fly rods and reels, you have the high end stuff and entry level stuff. Some rods feel better than others, it's going to be the same with the boats. Better warranties come with higher prices. Quality wise, the high end cats will generally last longer, but with care and taking care of the lower end products I think you can still get some good use out them before seams start to come unglued and fabrics start to break down.

I'm confused even more... Do I buy the expensive cat tubes that with proper care could last 20 plus years without any issues or do I go entry level, and shoot the dice and buy something that could last me 10-15 years. I could possibly get a lemon and have to replace them after a couple of seasons. It's hit and miss on the lower end stuff.

Bottom line it comes down to budget for everyone and being able to get on the water is what it's about.
Benny

Postby midger » March 24th, 2015, 8:01 pm

Too bad I wasn't paying closer attention to this thread as a Pac 1200 just sold on Kienes for a great price.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?35116-Pac-1200

That said, there are many cataraft deals that appear on craigslist in Boise and Oregon--not so much California.

http://boise.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=cataraft

In Boise area alone, there is Aire, Maravia, a Saturn dealer, Idaho River Sports, and Cascade Outfitters that I know of and have shopped at. If you find a killer deal through anybody in that area I could probably help getting stuff back to you as I'm back and forth to that area a lot each year.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing