REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The path of a piece of Tonkin Cane

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

The path of a piece of Tonkin Cane

Postby midger » February 11th, 2009, 8:50 pm

This probably could have been placed in the rodbuilding section, but would also be of interest to anybody just curious about how a bamboo rod comes into existence, so I put it here.

I just watched the short 50 minute movie "Trout Grass" by David James Duncan which chronicles the path of bamboo from its growth in China, harvest, selection, transport to the states, and delivery and manufacture into a rod by Glenn Bracket in Montana. It is actually very interesting and well done and has a cameo by Tom McGuane. I was surprised as I am used to junky flyfishing related productions that are overcommercialized. It made me appreciate more the builders who do it from scratch.

OBTW, it is available from netflix, as that's who I had deliver it to me--one of the few flyfishing related ones they carry.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: The path of a piece of Tonkin Cane

Postby anacrime » February 11th, 2009, 9:07 pm

cool little documentary indeed

netflix also has some kelly galloup dvds, including the streamer techniques one. very informative
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Trootfisher » February 12th, 2009, 3:26 am

I didn't like the movie- expected a lot more out of it and was
disappointed. I wish more time was spent showing and explaining
how cane rods are built. over 1/2 half the time was spent showing how
the cane was selected, about 1/4 was spent on making the rod, and the other
1/4 was the narrator waxing poetically, which was totally unnecessary.

but then I know a lot of people enjoyed it.

consider this just another opinion.
Trootfisher

Postby rayfound » February 12th, 2009, 8:42 am

Well, I had been thinking of looking over the netflix list for FF related media... this was my inspiration... my wife will be pleased when she sees the "new" Queue.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Danny McB » February 12th, 2009, 8:56 am

I really liked it as well. It solidified my belief that i must own a cane before I die, and that it must be one I get for myself specifically (work with the builder) or find an old family hand - me - down. Lots of history and nostalgia in a couple of pieces of grass bound together.
Danny McB

Postby briansII » February 12th, 2009, 9:53 am

Trootfisher wrote:I didn't like the movie- expected a lot more out of it and was
disappointed. I wish more time was spent showing and explaining
how cane rods are built. over 1/2 half the time was spent showing how
the cane was selected, about 1/4 was spent on making the rod, and the other
1/4 was the narrator waxing poetically, which was totally unnecessary.

but then I know a lot of people enjoyed it.

consider this just another opinion.

Overall, I liked the movie, but like you, wished they got more into the building aspect too. The movie was too short for me.......but I can understand they didn't produce it for hardcore junkies like us.

briansII
briansII

Return to General Fly Fishing