REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Is there a dentist in the house

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Is there a dentist in the house

Postby fflutterffly » February 13th, 2009, 7:28 am

Do we have a dentist on this forum. I need to purchase some Sunburst Elastics SH6 Super Heavy 1/4 11-003-06.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Re: Is there a dentist in the house

Postby midger » February 13th, 2009, 3:59 pm

I would think you could get the rings from any orthodontist or dental supply house. Making indicators?

I use the small rubber rings available at hardware stores, but you don't want to buy them individually as they are pretty expensive each--around .30 or so. I purchase them bulk from a midwest supplier so mine ended up costing less than a penny a ring.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby fflutterffly » February 13th, 2009, 5:20 pm

that is exactly what I use them for. When I do use an indicator, not my normal way of nymphing, but when the fish is a bit out of reach. Do you use the same rubberbands. How do I get them bulk? I've only got about 50 left.
fflutterffly

Postby Papasequoia » February 13th, 2009, 6:03 pm

Why not just switch to the little balloons? In any case, I'm not sure what the type of elastic you are looking for is, but I did see a recent post on another forum about using elastics and a leaf as an indicator which was interesting. This particular person takes those little elastics that you get when you wear braces, doubles them over his forceps a few times, then slides them onto a dry leaf and his leader. He claimed he did this on calm water for spooky fish. I've never tried it, but thought I'd throw it out there on this dental/indicator related post. Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Danny McB » February 13th, 2009, 7:07 pm

Jon.

Thats very creative. Thanks for sharing that.

Danny
Danny McB

Postby midger » February 13th, 2009, 7:25 pm

No, I don't use the dental rings. I use the tiny rubber o-rings used to seal faucets, etc. The place I buy from sells them by the 5000 lot size which I'm sure is far more than you need. I haven't the faintest idea how the price of the rubber o-rings equates to the dental brace rings as I've not used the dental ones.

You can actually make the indicators just using tying thread and your tying vise. I've used that method before also, but I have the other method with o-rings down now and can do it much more quickly than hand tying each with thread.

Jon,
Balloons are good and I imagine you were referring to the Thingamabobber plastic indicators as well? The 1/2" are good, but I don't like the larger 3/4 or 1 inch ones that well. They are also harder on my leaders than the rubber ringed yarn indicators.

If you are trying to get long drifts of 30-70 feet, often indicators are the only way to do it while keeping drag out of the equation.

A leaf, huh? That's pretty ingenious.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby fflutterffly » February 13th, 2009, 9:28 pm

I don't use them to make the loop within the indicator, I have a small 'tube' which the band is wrapped around and then a feed the tippet into the tube, with indicator looped within, slide the bands over that and presto, it slides easily and is quick.
fflutterffly

Postby RubiKinda » February 13th, 2009, 9:48 pm

I just stole your idea Ariel. ;) That is much easier than how I've been doing it.
RubiKinda

Postby anacrime » February 13th, 2009, 10:55 pm

you guys are psychos! i think i've used the the same 3 indicators for the last year and a half.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby fflutterffly » February 14th, 2009, 6:48 am

rubi, I'll send you a photo of my little 'device' or better yet let me send you one in the mail. Send your address

I've tried the leaf idea and it works, I've also done twigs. (much harder to do since the line pulls down on the end. Not enough area to support)
fflutterffly

Postby Papasequoia » February 14th, 2009, 1:23 pm

fflutterffly wrote:rubi, I'll send you a photo of my little 'device' or better yet let me send you one in the mail.

If you don't mind, post a picture here. I can't quite envision it from your description. Thanks, Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby Th Rods » February 16th, 2009, 8:57 pm

Dr. David Wilkes....Idaho......Maybe he can help...Avid fly fisherman and all around great guy.......

1 208-731-6416...........tell him I sent you.......Not sure what days he works, he owns the practice and pretty much sets his own days and hours..............

Terry
"Tastes Like Chicken"
Th Rods

Postby Papasequoia » February 16th, 2009, 11:43 pm

You know, every time I see David I mean to ask him about the knot he uses, but I always forget. I'm guessing a single overhand knot (maybe two?) to tie off the balloon with the amount of air you want in it, then a single overhand knot (or two, or something else?) to tie it onto your leader. I agree, they work great. But, since I keep forgetting to ask, I'm still using thingamabobbers which are almost as good, but don't slide/adjust as easily. They are 100 times better than yarn, that's for sure. Thanks, Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Return to General Fly Fishing