REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Traveling, the TSA, and Taking Flies

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Traveling, the TSA, and Taking Flies

Postby MrBiggs » November 18th, 2014, 1:01 pm

Hey all,
I get to join my in-laws at their place in Kaua'i for the Thanksgiving holiday, and I'm definitely bringing a rod to chase some of those monster bonefish. My question is about carrying-on all my fly gear. The TSA has this helpful bit about tackle:

Sharp fishing tackle that may be considered dangerous, such as large fish hooks, should be sheathed, securely wrapped, and packed in your checked luggage. Like other high-value objects, you may wish to pack expensive reels or fragile tackle that does not pose a security threat (small flies) in your carry-on baggage.

But uh... what is a large fish hook versus a small fly? I'd imagine that my #22 Zebra Midges (that I'm not taking) would be fine, but what about #2-6 Crazy Charlies? Maybe it just depends on who's doing the screening? Anyone have any experience taking salt gear in their carry-on? I'd love to hear your insight.

Thanks,
Mr. Biggs
MrBiggs

Re: Traveling, the TSA, and Taking Flies

Postby BrownBear » November 18th, 2014, 2:49 pm

I just carried on some rods and reels, as well as a few fly boxes. Not a blink. Largest flies were #4. Of course, my flights were originating in Alaska, where you'd probably look more suspicious if you were NOT carrying fishing tackle. :bananadance:
BrownBear

Postby WanderingBlues » November 18th, 2014, 3:11 pm

Never had any issues flying with up to size 6. Have fun!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby gabe » November 18th, 2014, 3:32 pm

When I fly back home to Oahu I never have any issues with taking my gear there. I pack my line basket/tub in my suitcase and pack my clothes in it. I pack my reels etc between my clothes in the suitcase so it doesn't get banged up. I pack my rods in a travel rod tube and check it in. I've never had problems with TSA. They only gave me a hard time once when i had Soft-tip darts in my carry on. :|

bright clousers and dark clousers work good for Pa pi'o (juvenille trevalle) and other small predator fish.
** very small clouser work good for smaller mouth fish like Moi (milkfish - freakin delicious), halalu, and oama
Halalu and Oama are a typical delicacy in hawaii, but also are used as baitfish.
small shrimp and crab patterns for O'io (bonefish)

***fish the rising tide and slack tide

GL
gabe

Postby MrBiggs » November 18th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Thanks to everyone for the info, and especially to Gabe for the fly info. I've scoured the net for all the info that I can get, and it's still sparse. Every bit of info from people that have fished there helps a bunch.

I'm sure I'll have a report to write up when I'm back.
MrBiggs

Postby gabe » November 18th, 2014, 4:33 pm

oh forgot to mention. Usually flyfisherman in Hawaii use heavy weight rod setups due to the tradewinds. If the winds pick up it makes casting a feat in its own. I got away with using a 7wt on the flats with mild winds, but when the winds pick up its useless. You can get away with shore fishing as usually theres fish cruising close to shore chasing bait. Also if you can get reef booties - like the one in the picture - so you can walk along shallow reefs and try to find channels in the reef to fish. Or again - fishing off rocks jetties, banks, or low cliffs/ledges.

These types of boots are much better than those cheapo tourist ones. Sand usually won't get in, and your feet won't get cut up at all, and will be safe from stepping on sea urchins. They can be found at most local tackle shops or sometimes even at a Walmart (in HI).
gabe

Postby Papasequoia » November 19th, 2014, 1:18 am

Gabe has a cloven hoof? Uh oh. :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby clee » November 19th, 2014, 7:35 am

Papasequoia wrote:Gabe has a cloven hoof? Uh oh. :D

I think he is a ninja actually.

I haven't air traveled with gear in years. The last time I did was to Costa Rica and I kept my flies and gear in my luggage as suggested by the airline at the time. But the again I was traveling not long after 9/11 so I think things have relaxed since then (?)

On a side note I did travel to Texas with guns and I brought all my accessories including unloaded magazines on my carry on, so go figure.

Look forward to your report, have fun out there.
clee

Postby BrownBear » November 19th, 2014, 7:47 am

One heads up on traveling with flies in your carry-on.

Watchyerbackside when going through airports in other countries.

Bud of mine spent the best part of a year tying flies for his trip to New Zealand. Got nervous about losing the collection, so he packed all his fly boxes into his carry-on.

Their route took them through Australia, and he spent over an hour arguing with Australia customs about the materials used in his flies, and the potential for endangered species violations. The Ausie customs folks kept his fly boxes for evaluation, so he spent his month in NZ fishing bought flies and those he could borrow from his two companions. Companions who put their fly boxes in their checked bags. The irony is, my bud who lost his fly boxes had also filled those boxes for the trip.

Same flies from the same vise, but it was almost a year before he got his fly boxes back from the Ausies, and he had to do a whole lot of wailing and hollering to do it even then.
BrownBear

Return to General Fly Fishing