REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Replacement reel foot?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Replacement reel foot?

Postby acorad » December 9th, 2014, 3:57 pm

The reel foot broke on my Cortland reel and I'd like to replace the foot.

I checked and the foot on one of my Reddington reels is completely identical, and I swapped it over to the Cortland so I could use the reel the other day, and so it appears that this foot is a pretty common item that is mass-produced and then sourced by various reel manufacturers.

I left a message at Cortland on their repair line, but have not heard back yet.

I called Reddington and they'd want me to send the entire (Reddington) reel to them, so that they could match the reel foot.

Any ideas if there is some available source for reel feet like this?

I suppose I could try grinding down the broken end of the foot so it is thinner and could accept the reel seat locking ring...

Anyway, here is the broken foot:

Thanks,

Andy
acorad

Re: Replacement reel foot?

Postby BrownBear » December 9th, 2014, 4:20 pm

So many of the reels now are coming out of the same few factories with different brands stamped on them, I'm not surprised. Can't confirm that Cortland and Reddington are popped out of the same factory, but if not, I bet their feet came from the same supplier.

If you don't hear back from Cortland, I'd take that reel seat with you into a shop and look for other brands that match. Surely more came from the same source.

In the meantime, you might also check your area for a reel repair shop. If you're lucky there'll be some old guy in a small shop sitting in front of bins full of salvage parts from other reels. I have one of those guys in Anchorage, and it's absolutely astounding some of the parts he can come up with simply by spinning his stool around.
BrownBear

Postby acorad » December 9th, 2014, 4:58 pm

Thanks BB, I'll look around.

Andy
acorad

Postby John Harper » December 9th, 2014, 6:04 pm

A little JB Weld will do wonders, repair it. Look for another at leisure.

John
John Harper

Postby acorad » December 16th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Just got a call back from Cortland, they're putting a reel foot in the mail for me.

Andy
acorad

Return to General Fly Fishing