REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Other options

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Other options

Postby castaway » February 14th, 2009, 7:59 pm

I figured this would be a nice place to post this. Being that many people on this forum are ultralight guys, I would like share some of the other options (other then the Sage 0~wts - and cheaper).

First, McFarland rod company builds a fine 2/3 wt 7'6 fiberglass blank - I got a factory (his garage) second with a minor finish blem for 100 bucks!
I like the idea of a home built blank... anti-corporate.

Also, Steffen Brothers builds a 1/2 wt 5" fiberglass rod... (180 for the blank - again home built blank)

Hardy has also come out with an affordable 2wt 5" glass rod. (230.00 if you shop around)

If you have never fished 'glass.... your missing out, slow action and max bendo for your buck.

Don’t let the line wts fool you... with smaller/lighter reel seats then the Sage models, softer full flex feel, and short compact lengths for bushwhacking...I am hooked on these rods.

I own a McFarland blank just waiting for it to arrive, and am considering the tiny 5 foot hardy for bush whacking. I love tax season... :D

I own a 6wt fiberglass rod as well and it is fun to fish - but I find that the heavier wt glass rods are a challenge for me to cast with...
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Re: Other options

Postby RichardCullip » February 14th, 2009, 8:43 pm

Sweet! I can't wait to see the fish you catch with your new rods. A nice slow action full bend rod is fun to fish.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Return to General Fly Fishing