REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

New fly fishing TV shows

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: New fly fishing TV shows

Postby lucfish » January 9th, 2015, 3:24 pm

Jon: I think it's on channel #395, somewhere around there. You may be able to pay an extra fee like $3.00 just for that channel. I myself don't have wfn anymore but I have my own reasons.
lucfish

Postby briansII » January 9th, 2015, 3:57 pm

lucfish wrote:Jon: I think it's on channel #395, somewhere around there. You may be able to pay an extra fee like $3.00 just for that channel. I myself don't have wfn anymore but I have my own reasons.

Good to see you two made in back in one piece.

briansII
briansII

Postby Chris Kuhn » January 12th, 2015, 2:43 pm

You guys should make this available on Hulu +, I am not about to switch from Directtv.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Ants » January 12th, 2015, 7:45 pm

For the Stone Age perspective, I pay for no broadcast channels and spend my time fly fishing as much as possible. Granted, it may not be everyone, but it puts a grin on my face.

Ants
Ants

Postby duckdog » January 13th, 2015, 10:18 am

Being the cheapskate that I am I have resisted paying the 10 bucks extra to Cox for the sportsman package on my cable . Having hip replacement surgery in Oct. and knowing that I would be out of work for 3 months and watching alot of T.V in the beginning of my little adventure I bit the bullet and got it. Watching the news all day would have made my head explode ! The fly fishing shows are watchable and some of the waterfowl hunting shows are pretty good-- some are not . Tip to any one thinking about making a waterfowl hunting video , if you are shooting spoonies I am turning you off ! I watched Conway Bowmans show and liked it , mostly for the time he spent with with Ed Shenk. I am looking forward to watching April's show today.
duckdog

Postby csimcox » January 13th, 2015, 3:27 pm

Conway’s time with Ed Shenk was really cool. The next two episodes will be trout fishing, then he hits some saltwater for bones. There’s also going to be some good small mouth fly fishing on Fifty Places To Fly Fish Before You Die as well.
http://www.chadsimcox.com Photography and Video portfolio
http://grainfarmer.tumblr.com/ Grain Farmer - tumblr page featuring photography, art and design from around the world
csimcox

Postby Jimbo Roberts » January 14th, 2015, 9:14 pm

I wish we had the WFN here, I'd pay whatever premium to see that many shows.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby midger » January 21st, 2015, 1:42 pm

I watched a couple of episodes of "Shorelines" and it is well done and interesting info about salmon and rivers I'll probably never fish, but I enjoyed learning more about what's going on.

I also watched the first two episodes of "50 Places". The first episode on the Letort/Little Breeches was interesting and the talk with Mr. Shenk was an interesting look into the history of the watershed.

The episode on the Big Hole looked like they hit the salmon fly hatch right on. I did find it funny when Conway referred to some of the browns as hogs when they clearly wouldn't qualify as such with most fly fishers--in fact, a couple were dinks. Even my wife caught onto that as she was working on the computer and happened to see a couple of the fish and asked me if that's what I considered a large fish or a "hog". I had to laugh and tell her "no", but they did catch some fair fish up on the surface with their hopper/stone patterns. I did feel that some of the fish were held out of the water too long and one was manhandled/dropped on the release, but it appeared they all survived their ordeals, and suppose the duration out of the water was for filming purposes, no???.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » January 21st, 2015, 3:08 pm

midger wrote:I I did find it funny when Conway referred to some of the browns as hogs when they clearly wouldn't qualify as such with most fly fishers--in fact, a couple were dinks. Even my wife caught onto that as she was working on the computer and happened to see a couple of the fish and asked me if that's what I considered a large fish or a "hog". I had to laugh and tell her "no", but they did catch some fair fish up on the surface with their hopper/stone patterns.

Well, he is from SoCal...... :P Haven't seen any of the new shows, but have watched his earlier stuff. He works well in front of the camera, and is entertaining to watch.

As for the questionable fish handling, it's rare to see what I think is good/exceptional fish handling on TV shows. Seems like the "grip and grin" is an important part. Money shot if you will......

briansII
briansII

Postby Chris Kuhn » January 21st, 2015, 4:50 pm

midger wrote:I watched a couple of episodes of "Shorelines" and it is well done and interesting info about salmon and rivers I'll probably never fish, but I enjoyed learning more about what's going on.

I also watched the first two episodes of "50 Places". The first episode on the Letort/Little Breeches was interesting and the talk with Mr. Shenk was an interesting look into the history of the watershed.

The episode on the Big Hole looked like they hit the salmon fly hatch right on. I did find it funny when Conway referred to some of the browns as hogs when they clearly wouldn't qualify as such with most fly fishers--in fact, a couple were dinks. Even my wife caught onto that as she was working on the computer and happened to see a couple of the fish and asked me if that's what I considered a large fish or a "hog". I had to laugh and tell her "no", but they did catch some fair fish up on the surface with their hopper/stone patterns. I did feel that some of the fish were held out of the water too long and one was manhandled/dropped on the release, but it appeared they all survived their ordeals, and suppose the duration out of the water was for filming purposes, no???.

Most of these shows they hold them out for a bit. But probably not much longer than some of us do for the hero shot. The difference is, most of us don't take a hero shot with every fish. I post on the Flyfisherman forum as well and a lot of guys there used to comment on how excited the LA guys would get over "little gems." But you know anything over 10" down here is a big deal. I have fished the Letort in winter, I have no idea what it is like in the spring. But it is a pretty nice river.

Conway was a shark guy in San Diego and when he was on Fly Fishing the World he would comment that the trout he was catching would be considered bait. Someone probably told him to stop doing that.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby csimcox » January 22nd, 2015, 5:56 pm

I think he is still fishing for sharks down there.
But he is a trout guy too. Last year at a shoot, we have talked quite a bit about some of the small blue lines in Southern California and some of the “interesting” trout species that inhabit some relatively unknown waters. He had some good insight on streams that remained unnamed.
http://www.chadsimcox.com Photography and Video portfolio
http://grainfarmer.tumblr.com/ Grain Farmer - tumblr page featuring photography, art and design from around the world
csimcox

Postby Chris Kuhn » January 24th, 2015, 11:57 pm

One of the better episodes of FFtW was him fishing with his dad. You really got a look at his fishing roots. It is a shame that Barrett Productions seems to have closed up shop. They produced some of my favorite shows.
Chris Kuhn

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing