REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Hooah- The Army Update

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Hooah- The Army Update

Postby WanderingBlues » January 26th, 2015, 7:53 pm

So Kyle is in week 3 of Basic Training and, judging from the letters, has found a home. Even saw a pic of him on his battalion's FB page...

Anyway, in his last letter he said it was Blu's homecoming that caused him to understand that being a military man was more than just going to war and shooting at people. He specifically wrote "I want to have the same pride that Blu has by serving."

So, here's what I'm asking.... Tami and I will be heading back to Mizzou in late April for his graduation from basic and advanced. They roll it all into one and call it OSUT. Anyway, if you guys get a chance and feel like it, scratch him a note and send it to me. I intend to have a custom rod built for him named "Hooah" with his name, rank, and date of graduation on it. I thought it would be awesome for the cadre here who have known him directly or through the forum, to offer a word or two. I'll package them up as a part of the grad gift. Here's my address and thanks in advance.

Curtis Bayer
PO Box 901
Lake Arrowhead, CA 92352
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: Hooah- The Army Update

Postby Autodave » January 26th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Ahhh, the gas chamber. Always pleasant.
Autodave

Postby midger » January 26th, 2015, 9:12 pm

You're right Dave. I remember the gas chamber exercises very well. Not a fun time but makes you move quickly, and Kyle doesn't look none the worse for it.

Count me in Curtis. I'll think of something to give you to take to the young man. Glad things are going so well for him and looks like he's still got a smile on his face. If he can keep that he'll do just fine there. I can also sure see the family resemblance between you and him.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Chris Kuhn » January 26th, 2015, 9:21 pm

That was the nice thing about Air Force basic, the only gas I had to deal with was coming from the bunk next to me.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Wildman » January 26th, 2015, 9:57 pm

I'm thinking the smile was simply relief that he didn't puke in his mask! How well I remember that day and the one later where we got hit with CS gas.

I would be honored to participate.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby planettrout » January 27th, 2015, 7:25 am

Ah memories...Ft. Jackson, SC ...June '67... :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby dray » January 27th, 2015, 8:17 pm

Classic! Hang in there little brother...Looks like he did just fine..
dray

Postby WanderingBlues » February 1st, 2015, 10:43 am

Thanks FlyAddict! Got the package yesterday.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby philosofisher » February 3rd, 2015, 4:34 pm

Curtis, if you or Kyle want and have the time to fish some of MO's water, I'd love to help you out with advice and who to make arrangements with (for canoe rentals or whatever). I still have friends that fish there regularly and I know they'd be happy to offer advice.

The North Fork of the White is, in my opinion, the best trout fishing in the state. It's two hours south of Ft. Leonard Wood. I'd be happy to help with any other questions about MO, assuming I can.
philosofisher

Postby fly addict » February 3rd, 2015, 4:54 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:Thanks FlyAddict! Got the package yesterday.

I hope he can put them to use soon.
Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Eric » February 19th, 2015, 11:57 am

Curtis i'll be happy to send a note and some flys.
Eric

Return to General Fly Fishing