REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Redington Dually Switch rod

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Redington Dually Switch rod

Postby Bstallings » February 5th, 2015, 7:05 pm

Has anyone fished one of these switch rods?
Bstallings

Re: Redington Dually Switch rod

Postby stanbery » February 5th, 2015, 9:56 pm

Talk to BrianII he might even have one.
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby briansII » February 6th, 2015, 12:25 pm

stanbery wrote:Talk to BrianII he might even have one.
Jon

Sheesh! You guys must think my name is Norcal Bob, or Midger. I don't own every fly rod known to man like those guys. :mrgreen:

Sorry, I do't have any experience with the Dually line, but most of the reviews i've read are positive. Just a couple might be considered negative. What I can tell you, is matching a line for the rod is key to liking it. Pretty much goes for any fly rod, but once you get into spey type casts, it could make or break your enjoyment of the rod.

briansII
briansII

Postby Bstallings » February 6th, 2015, 12:39 pm

Thanks anyway. Had the same concerns about the line & even the reel. That's why I was considering a combo package from a Reds Fly Shop.
Bstallings

Postby fivefish » February 6th, 2015, 6:35 pm

I was talking to David D'Beaupre at Sierra Trout Magnet Fly Shop about this rod. He's used them recently on the Trinity and sells them and can answer your questions (and sell you one too).

This is the rod I want too. I want the 6wt switch.

http://www.sierratroutmagnet.com
fivefish

Postby briansII » February 6th, 2015, 9:52 pm

Bstallings wrote:Thanks anyway. Had the same concerns about the line & even the reel. That's why I was considering a combo package from a Reds Fly Shop.

Buying an already set up combo, or buying from David that's fished the rod, isn't a bad idea. Some of the guess work is done for you. Question that I think needs to be addressed is what do you plan to fish for, and what style of casting will you use most. Once those are answered, getting set up will be a lot easier.

There are online sites for line recommendations for your specific rod. I could post some links, but I'm sitting in a hotel room, on my daughter's kindle fire. It's a chore for me to cut and paste on this thing......not to mention just typing this reply.

By the way, cool avatar picture.

briansII
briansII

Postby briansII » February 9th, 2015, 11:58 am

I was in a fly shop this weekend, and happened to see a few Dually rods. I took the 7wt switch out of the rack and gave it a wiggle. Nice and light, with a relatively crisp action. My experience tells me, a wiggle says very little about the rod, unless it's extremely stiff, or very soft. More so with longer rods.

Owner reviews can be a good way to learn about a piece of gear, but I always take them with a grain of salt. I rarely read, "I wish I hadn't bought this", when reading reviews. "I love it", or "best bang for the buck" is much more common. Casting it is really the only way.......and that is not the easiest thing to accomplish. Most likely, the Dually is a nice rod to cast and fish. The odds of you liking it, over not, is pretty high. The vast majority of new or used rods I've tried, I liked.

briansII
briansII

Postby stanbery » February 10th, 2015, 12:09 am

briansII wrote:The vast majority of new or used rods I've tried, I liked.

briansII

Says the guy with how many rods? LOL

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Return to General Fly Fishing